Mr2 Roadster

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Fair play, I'm only going by the guys doing Targas that have them fitted. You have to keep the standard inlet and throttle body as part of the competition regs so they are all using the standard inlet, exhaust manifold will have been changed and usually using an aftermarket ECU such as Link. I know of one that bought a VVTi Celica and got it rolling roaded before taking the engine out to make sure it was healthy and it made 189bhp. Afterwards, it made just over 240bhp without having been opened. 🤷‍♂️
I would love to see that dyno and mods. Because most 2zz only really make about 165-170 hp not even the full 189.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, so would I to an extent as I had been thinking of changing from the MX5 to an MR2 for the targas but now I'm rebuilding the 5 and just going to do it properly.

I know of a yaris with very similar power on a 2zz too.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
Yeah, so would I to an extent as I had been thinking of changing from the MX5 to an MR2 for the targas but now I'm rebuilding the 5 and just going to do it properly.

I swapped to k series due lack of power from mods on an NA 2zz that’s why I’m pretty interested to see this :grinning:

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I looked heavily into the 2zz swap and in all honesty the money to do it right just made it a big no for me. It makes very little sense considering how equally fragile the 1zz and 2zz seems to be.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
I've used the 2zz in a roadster for track use. It's just too fragile compared to a k motor we gave up after 3 engines. Its a great road engine tho. I still run a 2zz road mr2 and it's great fun. It is pretty close to optimal tuning wise from the factory. I managed 190 on the dyno for the road one with a cat and lotus elise back box which is really quiet.
Our track one managed 201hp with bolt ons. With cams and a better tune maybe 220. The yanks have managed better but that's big bucks. K20 all the way if you want more. I'm currently building a k24 roadster. Should be fun.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
I've used the 2zz in a roadster for track use. It's just too fragile compared to a k motor we gave up after 3 engines. Its a great road engine tho. I still run a 2zz road mr2 and it's great fun. It is pretty close to optimal tuning wise from the factory. I managed 190 on the dyno for the road one with a cat and lotus elise back box which is really quiet.
Our track one managed 201hp with bolt ons. With cams and a better tune maybe 220. The yanks have managed better but that's big bucks. K20 all the way if you want more. I'm currently building a k24 roadster. Should be fun.
Definitely agree with this, I said that as well. It’s about 220bhp with cams and such but definitely not 240! If you want that you also need ported head and higher the compression etc :grinning:

I have an K24 roadster as well , nice to see another one!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

There is absolutely no way to get a 25%+ power increase out of an na engine with just a remap. None. It's a ridiculous claim.

You'd need cams, dth tb, ported head, custom manifolds and exhausts, the lot, to even get close to 240 from a 1.9 na engine.

Even a K20A, a much better starting point than the Toyota, you'd get no more than 225 or so out of 2l na without going mad. And even going mad with them you're only talking another 5-10 at the top end, for a lot of £££ and ruining the rest of the power band.

The Fords are the same, a lot of work to get much past 200 on a 2l na engine.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
There is absolutely no way to get a 25%+ power increase out of an na engine with just a remap. None. It's a ridiculous claim.

You'd need cams, dth tb, ported head, custom manifolds and exhausts, the lot, to even get close to 240 from a 1.9 na engine.

Even a K20A, a much better starting point than the Toyota, you'd get no more than 225 or so out of 2l na without going mad. And even going mad with them you're only talking another 5-10 at the top end, for a lot of £££ and ruining the rest of the power band.

The Fords are the same, a lot of work to get much past 200 on a 2l na engine.
Not even close to 225 from k20a is a bit of a stretch.

Check drop in cams compare from k20: The Ultimate K-Series Drop-in Cam Test - Tegiwa Automotive Blog

Stock block, head etc.

Or even the CAI blog: HONDA K20 TB & INDUCTION SYSTEM SHOOT-OUT - Tegiwa Automotive Blog

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The K20A in the Hondus is 225 out of the box on Hondata, but that's with better intake and exhaust than you'd get in a road car.

Once you're into cams and stuff on them it's a lot of effort and £££ to do it right for very little real gain. Mr Honda did it right. Much better off with a supercharger.

It's different with a Ford or Toyota that have a lot of catching up to do to even get to where the Honda begins out of the box.

But that's a whole different discussion.

The point was any claim of 240 na out of a 1.9 Toyota with just a remap is nonsense.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Ok, I'll let the motorsport preparation outfit that built this know that they are way off beam on their power figures. (y)

Tbh, I'm sure a k20/24 will probably have more power potential than a 2zz etc and be more reliable too which is one of the main reasons I'm sticking with the mx5 over an mr2. (Reliability not power)

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
My Malian exhaust is a good couple of years old now and cleans up rightly. Quite a few complaints about the baffles letting go prematurely but haven’t had any issue.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
My Malian exhaust is a good couple of years old now and cleans up rightly. Quite a few complaints about the baffles letting go prematurely but haven’t had any issue.
Which system did you opt for?

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
I was aiming to get the lighter single exit one but there's no stock, looks like I'll go with the centre exit too.

They are out of cat-equipped downpipes as well, have either of you guys fitted the de-cat pipe version of that? Figure it might make the MOT more awkward!

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
Their stock was woeful, I checked every few weeks and ordered there and then. I had reservations about the decay pipe so fitted the sports cat instead. No issues with MOT
The twin centre exit one
I kind of wish I had of went for that one for the look of it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Oh, didn't know that!

It will still likely be very loud with a decat. I have sports cats on mine for that reason. Just depends what you want, each to their own and all that.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I never got round to getting their decaf pipe, just got the manifold and backbox. Doubt I’ll ever get round to it now as the underside is like Swiss cheese now,