Mr2 Roadster

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Bought this before Christmas last year as a track car and project between myself and my dad to spend more time together plus the fact I have been busting to get something track worthy for nearly my whole adult life.

Ahead of our first track day next Sunday, today was the day we got stuck into the brakes changing to braided lines, EBC yellowstuff pads and race fluid. My father in law very kindly gave us the use of his ramp which helped a lot.

I’m ***** at both remembering to take pictures and actually taking pictures but this is a thread to document progress.

Nankang NS2r tyres stuck on a few months back and all that remains is a wheel alignment now that a rear arm has been straightened.

0AF6AE8C-8E0D-4509-A54B-B4A00DD5B7CC.jpeg
5DCD5F8B-4ABD-4D5D-8840-B513A3647CDC.jpeg
8AFECFE7-15FA-48DD-ABFC-AF13B335ED71.jpeg

A9C254C2-FA37-4096-AAB9-18BB629F6971.jpeg

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
2 Track days done and really enjoying the car. It doesn’t set anyone’s world on fire but now the tyres are scrubbed in it makes for a bit more excitement in the corners. Few hairy moments but all good experience.
Few action shots from Sunday…

216719C4-D4CE-4CD4-911E-1D9A1DE75D84.jpeg

E0A450A8-2D81-4470-9A72-677148CF6730.jpeg

I had an issue with the brakes on my second run where by the car would not brake in straight line. It seemed to fix itself but we will change the rear callipers anyway as they are still original.

Stuck a K&N panel filter in and I have to say it did help top end. Winter prep is going to have to be adding lowering springs and a bit of noise. If anyone has any suggestions on what to go for I’m all ears. Not interested in a dual exit exhaust system mind you but that’s just my personal taste.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
@Dan.86 looking good. Team Moon make an exhaust for the MR2 which sounds decent. I never got round to changing my exhaust before I sold it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’m busy up to July and we need a bit of time to sort callipers so aiming for August. You booking in for July/August?

Booked in for July and will hopefully get August too provided July goes alright lol

I’m sure will catch you down there at some point before the end of the season. Wouldn’t mind getting to mondello too but would want to go when there’s a crowd headed just in case (last time I put the clutch fork through the pressure plate) 😁

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Was good to see another one on track on Sunday there (I was steering the ropey silver one).

In terms of power I hear you - great fun in the corners but those two long straights were a challenge. They suit the short track a lot better.

Don't think there's many easy options unfortunately. Turbos will no doubt bring heartache and engine swaps will bring costs.

Might have a few calipers if you have any hassle finding good ones.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
Spotted this on YouTube. Reasonably priced too!

Was good to see another one on track on Sunday there (I was steering the ropey silver one).

In terms of power I hear you - great fun in the corners but those two long straights were a challenge. They suit the short track a lot better.

Don't think there's many easy options unfortunately. Turbos will no doubt bring heartache and engine swaps will bring costs.

Might have a few calipers if you have any hassle finding good ones.
Ah it was yourself then, nice to put a name to the car. Hopefully get out again in the same group (you were out with my dad last time)

we aren’t really chasing big power, but the engine seems really restricted standard so any extra power through an exhaust/manifold/down pipe will be welcome. The weight and balance in then is just sublime!

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Was very surprised how rewarding the handling is on them. That's possibly why this one is still with me..

Would agree on the exhaust upgrade next, if it just freed the engine up to rev a bit quicker it should be worth it up those straights!

Afterthought: I think there's a fair bit of weight in the stock system so aftermarket would help there too.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
66C2B43F-F51A-40A1-99AE-86D17B0C0A14.png

Exhaust has been purchased. Malian seem to get a good rep and this is marketed as a track day and MOT compliant cat back system. All because my father wanted a bit of noise.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
And we have noise! Very straight forward few hours of fitting and with the standard system removed the space within the engine bay is unbelievable! Very impressed with the Malian so far, seems very well put together and no messing either during installation.
2F561B09-A0D4-4F1A-8C1F-22674C529879.jpeg

A5F971AD-44D0-49AB-B167-2D3D4A133D16.jpeg

8E0D4AA2-6296-422B-98CC-0EC8AFEC830E.jpeg

Rear brake callipers were changed a few weeks back but still not braking very straight at times. Fronts could be the issue after all!

Now for Kirkistown next week!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The exhaust exit from different sides now?

Hope to get down on Sunday myself so will see you then.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The 190bhp from the Celica VVT-aaaaye fits in these fairly straightforwardly and can be mapped to around 240bhp without opening the engine. Makes them sing rightly.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The 190bhp from the Celica VVT-aaaaye fits in these fairly straightforwardly and can be mapped to around 240bhp without opening the engine. Makes them sing rightly.

That’s a serious increase on a NA engine. I did not know this!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That’s a serious increase on a NA engine. I did not know this!
Don't know the Toyota, that sounds extreme.

The Honda K20 goes from 190 to about 225 with breathing mods and a remap. That's about as much as one can get out of a 2l na without cracking it open and serious race tuning I think.

Most n/a engines don't give much with just a remap

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The celica that gave up its engine for that wee autotest Yaris was dyno'd at 189 before it had the engine removed and other than a specific exhaust manifold and cone filter, went into the Yaris without being opened up. They used an aftermarket ECU unit and mapped it to suit and the result on the same dyno was 240. Ho. Lee. Sheet! I reckon the Woodside/Harryman MR2s are running less power but in and around the 200 mark based on how they move. They have a fair bit of weight taken out of them too.
No superchargers or any forced induction, not allowed in targa rules.

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
Looks great, seems to really free up a tonne of room in the engine bay too. Hopefully adds a few horses which is always a bonus too!

Been keeping an eye out for a 2zz myself (quite the upgrade). Tedtiler on here has one fitted so should be able to advise a little on the swap firsthand. Getting a good engine has always been the hassle, they aren't very easy to rebuild due to the coating of the cylinders.

If you have any hassle getting front calipers I brought a few good sets in from Japan.

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
@Dan.86 looking good. Team Moon make an exhaust for the MR2 which sounds decent. I never got round to changing my exhaust before I sold it.
Little late to the party here but had one of these on my MR2 (dual exhaust) and was the second best thing I ever did to it..

The first was part exchanging it for a new one with a Toyota dealership when the engine started rattling due to the (common failure) of oil usage and big ends going.. if only they had taken it for a test drive first :laughing:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
OP
Dan.86
Filter , oil, gearbox oil and plugs replaced last weekend along with a few more bits ticked off the list. Malian sports cat downpipe and manifold installed. Surprisingly straight forward process with one nut rounded off but nothing snapped or seized.

Offending yoke
0F273C49-490F-4E46-9AC6-98B6F436547F.jpeg

Not a perfect wrap but will do the job. Itchy hands now mind you!
E21FA581-6D89-403A-B23B-997448193B18.jpeg

Old and heavy
2301C8E7-DE71-4F73-BF5C-A0243010C37C.jpeg

Faces cleaned off
448A2967-18F7-4A15-A43D-3B4E6126676D.jpeg

Downpipe installed

6B595C5A-AAF5-4132-A585-A5D16582D531.jpeg

D8F9304B-8EDF-44A0-AB6B-D2E10E178944.jpeg

All back together and it sounds proper racey with pops and bangs which I hope will get more frequent once worn in. Few bits left to do before booking Kirkistown like replacing a CV boot, sorting a sticky calliper and some Tein springs to go in.

Attachments

• 9F7D44C4-B9DA-4C15-9350-F41B1270DADB.jpeg
    9F7D44C4-B9DA-4C15-9350-F41B1270DADB.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 44

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
All those people that have already fitted them would perhaps disagree.

roadsteralex

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT 3.2
All those people that have already fitted them would perhaps disagree.
I had a 2zz in my MR2 as well. You need a custom RRK intake manifold which costs 1000 or so. You need custom manifold (not the normal ones you buy), you need cames, good intake. And you get about 220-225 max.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Fair play, I'm only going by the guys doing Targas that have them fitted. You have to keep the standard inlet and throttle body as part of the competition regs so they are all using the standard inlet, exhaust manifold will have been changed and usually using an aftermarket ECU such as Link. I know of one that bought a VVTi Celica and got it rolling roaded before taking the engine out to make sure it was healthy and it made 189bhp. Afterwards, it made just over 240bhp without having been opened. 🤷‍♂️