2009 Audi A6 3.0 TFSI Supercharged

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Earlier this year I was wafting around in a Volvo S80. It was comfy, and went well enough, but it was my one and only experience owning a diesel and I just couldn’t get used to it.

Back in March I’d been on the look out for a V70 or Superb estate when a friend texted me the RMS classified listing for @Darren91 ‘s Audi A6 and I thought it was pretty cool looking.

I’d a look over his thread and thought it was alot of car for the money and even better, it looked to have been well looked after, but it was over budget, it wasn’t an estate and it sounded thirsty for daily driving duties. I did some very sketchy man maths and thought, I could maybe make it work, but asked my friends to talk me out of it. They did the opposite and I ended up bringing it home.

85CD7C8C-ADE4-4D5C-81E2-F3178BC23E5E.jpeg

So I’m back in a petrol car again. It’s a 3.0 supercharged V6 that’s been mapped taking to to around 400bhp. At 2009, it’s also the newest car I’ve ever owned. I know nothing about what the spec is like compared to others but it has all I’d need, apart from maybe front sensors and electric folding mirrors.

08A8F599-A54B-474D-A8A9-213BCED268FB.jpeg

Since March I’ve done very little apart from put a plate on it and put petrol in it. Lots n lots of petrol. It’s actually pretty brutal on fuel, but I guess I gotta feed the ponies.

A5616AA5-A7C3-4C09-B830-3C9C4289A488.jpeg

Future plans I don’t know. I’ve thought about a smaller pulley for the supercharger but it’s already pretty quick. It’s also a bit funny sometimes with Bluetooth calls and the nav is clunky so I’d maybe try and put CarPlay in it.

I finally found a day today to get round to polishing it and I think it came out quite well.

23CCA249-75CD-49E6-A39E-04988750A05F.jpeg
ABB4CF6A-4A43-407E-B511-05DFFB12D577.jpeg
850414D1-C1A9-4ED0-8996-B7EECA88E334.jpeg

Darren91

RMS Regular
I really really miss this and I still have severe withdrawal symptoms but some things had to give.

The smaller pulley and software change will get you another 40bhp :laughing: I also toyed with putting a cat-back Jetex onto it but it just wafted about too easily and feared it may have ruined it. I updated the MMI firmware to the latest version that was available at the time, there well may be another later version available.

When the time comes for the two-car life again, I’d really consider buying another one without any hesitation.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
That's lovely and how brutal, is brutal on the fuel front? I keep looking at B8 Audi A4 Avants with this engine

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's brilliant, nice change from the usual diesels! Proper sleeper with that power as well!

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
That's lovely and how brutal, is brutal on the fuel front? I keep looking at B8 Audi A4 Avants with this engine

My daily commute is about 10miles in rush hour traffic in to Belfast and back, and I’d average about 18mpg. On a decent motorway leg, or if I just gently waft about I’ll get mid-high 20s, but I just can’t always gently waft in this.

Apart from the fuel I really love this thing. It’s comfy but not boaty, and very subtle.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
That's brilliant, nice change from the usual diesels! Proper sleeper with that power as well!

The subtle sleeperish look appealed to me when I bought it. Darren also sold me a set of 17” winters with it too and I can’t help but think the car looks like a basic TDI on them. I kind of can’t wait to put them on when the dark nights come.

46F2E57A-AC19-49F7-87E9-87AACAAC52B6.jpeg

I just can’t bring myself to remove the badges though.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Nice!!! You'll certainly take a lot of people by surprise at the lights. My previous XF was a 3.0L Supercharged at 380Hp stock and I gave a good few folks a surprise.

I can completely relate to the fuel issues - lots of fuel guzzled, but couldn't help myself prodding the throttle for the silly grin it brought to my face.

Hope you get the same enjoyment from your new yoke. Can you hear the supercharger (induction?) whine easily enough?

Health to drive and enjoy fella!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Lovely wafter!

I loved my S4 with the same engine, would have another one no problem if my commute was a lot less!

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Nice!!! You'll certainly take a lot of people by surprise at the lights. My previous XF was a 3.0L Supercharged at 380Hp stock and I gave a good few folks a surprise.

I can completely relate to the fuel issues - lots of fuel guzzled, but couldn't help myself prodding the throttle for the silly grin it brought to my face.

Hope you get the same enjoyment from your new yoke. Can you hear the supercharger (induction?) whine easily enough?

Health to drive and enjoy fella!!

There's no supercharger whine :worried:

Audi insulated the area where the supercharger sits and I don't think it's straight forward to remove. It's a shame as I'd love to hear a bit more.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
There's no supercharger whine :worried:

Audi insulated the area where the supercharger sits and I don't think it's straight forward to remove. It's a shame as I'd love to hear a bit more.
Thats a shame - you'd think most supercharger owners would want to hear the whine, not have it hushed.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Same scenario with the exhaust, I toyed with the idea of a Roc-Euro intake but didn’t want to ruin the subtleness of what the car is.

It’s that discreet I got challenged at the fuel pumps and was asked if I knew I was putting in petrol instead of diesel! 🤣

I managed 400ish miles to the tank, which isn’t a lot given the size of said tank but it was just pure enjoyment. The map is very smooth too, the higher the revs the harder it pulls. Full throttle at 100mph is eye opening .. (On a runway of course!) 👀

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I do love this car if it anything like mine they are so good to drive and they hold their own.

I did see that pop up on Insta and thought it was for sale also.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Winter wheels are on. It looks hilariously sh*tter in person than Darren’s pics from when he owned it, so I really hope it snows so I can justify putting them on. A small part of me kinda likes how basic it looks though.

17C970C6-3E9E-47F9-BA10-AB98F0896CC5.jpeg

Nice n close to the front brake calipers too.

40C86661-BA9F-4179-B93A-5FADD7D1B3E9.jpeg

I noticed a large crack on one of the spacers though so need to get that replaced.

0717E7FC-69BE-48E0-968A-71F57E44B8E9.jpeg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Went from weapon to 2.0 tdi non quattro in the looks dept right there lol 😂