2009 Audi A6 3.0 TFSI Supercharged

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Showing a Video Unavailable message for me unfortunately.

I'm def getting old. First impressions of the 17s is how amazingly more comfortable it drives.

I will see if I can link you elsewhere - was a failed supercharger radiator which leaked into the head - just something to be aware of, not sure if its a common thing or not but its a strip job

There

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks 😲

I was able to see that video now. First I've heard of that, although the guy in the video mentioned it happens on high-mileage cars, so hopefully this one's ok. Handy thing to know though.

I have been having misfires on the car when it's under full load, so I've it booked in with my Mechanic this week to get a suspected failing coilpack replaced and a bit of a hoke about. Hopefully that's all it is. Although it's also going in the new year to get the cats *improved* - another common issue as the cats sit high up the downpipe and the heat from the engine causes them to fail.

DJR Media

RMS Regular
Drives
2012 Audi S4
I’ve a pair of downpipes here that would fit this ;)

*never mind they don’t fit a C6* : unamused:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
haha yeah when you put the post about them I had a nosey to see if they'd have fitted, but doesn't look like they do :pensive:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I got the cats gutted at Rick’s Garage in January which sorted the issues I was having with it going in to limp mode. One of the cats had collapsed so I’m glad that was on my radar to do anyways. It’s made the exhaust a little meatier, although there’s a very slight drone between 1,500-1,800 rpm which did my head in for the first month or two, but I’m now used to it. Not much I think I can do about it unfortunately.

Flew through the MOT after that.

Last month I installed a Mr12Volt CarPlay box which is probably one of the best mods I’ve ever made to a car. It makes calls and music streaming so much easier and seamless than before. I also think it freshens up the dash whilst still looking OEM.

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0486.jpeg

I’d a rare opportunity where I’d time to actually wash all the cars. First time I’ve had the Supra and A6 out together.

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

I replaced the rear spacers with new ones as one had developed a large crack on it.

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

New braided lines and RBF660 brake fluid in last week. I’d bought new discs and pads too, but decided not to fit them as still plenty left on the existing ones.

Finally, a very quick run over the paintwork with the polisher yesterday before packing it for leaving for the Nürburgring this morning.

IMG_1020.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I would be sending pics to H&R - not with the intention of getting a new set or what but just to make them aware

If there is a serial number on it they could maybe look up the batch and could be a bad set??

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
An eventful trip this time. A pretty sedate drive from Cairnryan to Hull last Thursday. Once the boat docked in Rotterdam the car decided to throw reliability out the window.

Before getting off the boat the stereo stopped working so no music or nav. At the next rest stop I removed and reinstalled the new CarPlay box at the side of the road, which seemed to fix it. In to Germany and a rear brake light warning appeared on the dash. This was where I discovered there was nothing holding one of the rear light clusters in place. I’ve owned the car over a year and never noticed! Thank frig it never fully fell out in that time!

30km from the Nurburgring I started to hear a rotational screeching sound which was getting worse the closer I got to the house we’d hired. We dumped our stuff at the house and went to the Ring for a lap before it closed for the evening. The car lasted a few corners before one of the front wheel bearings failed. Thankfully the track was relatively quiet and I limped it round then back to the house.

IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

I messaged a garage near Adenau, ran by a couple of English guys, and left it in with them on Saturday morning. I’d hoped it would have been fixed on Sunday but the guys ordered the wrong sized bearing (not their fault as they used the chassis number) so it was Monday morning before it was fixed, which was the day we headed home. Not a cheap fix. Labour and parts are relatively expensive over there (€190 for a bearing!) but I was able to drive it home. When working on the wheel bearing they broke the ABS sensor so I drove home without ABS or traction control.

IMG_1078.jpeg

1fde0bb1-d69f-4e1d-b22b-6f556cf4e4c0.jpeg

1,120 miles door to door.

IMG_1220.jpeg

An unlucky weekend. I thought I’d done enough prep beforehand but I don’t think I could have predicted the things that went wrong.

I still had a great time all things considered, I’ll fire up another couple of posts with things that I’d done over the weekend if anyone’s interested. A couple of car museums, a E-mountain bike ride in the trails round the Ring and a couple of laps in a Fiesta ST.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Did that all in a long weekend?

Rough costs to get to the ring and back including accom?

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Did that all in a long weekend?

Rough costs to get to the ring and back including accom?

Yeah. Thursday to Tuesday.

Thursday: Larne to Cairnryan boat. Drive to Hull for the boat to Rotterdam. We also do the Newcastle-Amsterdam boat but it was more expensive this year. Newcastle is a much shorter drive but the Hull boat is arguably more comfortable.
Friday: Leave Rotterdam. Three hours to Köln for the Motorworld Museum, then hour and a half to Nurburgring. Enough time for a lap or two in the evening before it closes. This is all at a leisurely pace with a lunch stop. Nurburgring at dinner time.
Saturday: Few mates went to Spa for a private tour I'd organised for us all. It's about an hour and a half from the Nurburgring. As I'd no car I hired an e-bike for the day for 35 Euro and cycled round half of the track. There was a motorsport race on that day so plenty to see.
Sunday: The track was open all day. I hired a RHD Fiesta ST from RSR and shared four laps with a friend. This was £270 each for two laps, which included fuel and track tickets and a 15k excess. Some hired a GT3 for a taxi lap. A few others got a taxi lap in one of the Hyundai i30 Ns.
Monday: Check out and 1hr and a half drive up to Classic Remise in Dusseldorf for a look round the cars there and lunch, before heading up to Rotterdam. You could spend an hour or two there too but we opted to just get on the boat.
Tuesday: Drive up from Hull to Cairnryan for 4pm boat home.

We opt for the overnight boats every year rather than taking the tunnel to France purely to cut out as much boring driving as possible through England and France. We're always pretty refreshed once we arrive at the Ring, unless we've had a heavy enough night on the boat the night before lol

Costs depend on how many go. It's got alot more expensive since Covid. Needing two ferries take a big chunk out of the budget compared to living in England ffs. Eight of us went this year in two cars; seven on the boats and one flew in to Amsterdam. Both boats worked out about £380 each total return, including evening buffet meals and breakfasts. The house was €100 each total for 3 nights. I went through three tanks of fuel, but it would have been another tank or two had the car not been in the garage for a couple of days and it had driven to Spa, and done a couple more laps of the Ring. Ring laps are currently €35 at weekends and bank holidays. A GT3 ring taxi lap is €349. The i30Ns were €50 each (if three passengers). Food is as cheap or expensive as you want.

Another option is to maybe fly in, hire a regular car to get about, and then a couple of laps in one of the hire cars. Less travel time. Maybe cheaper, but you don't get to drive your own car around.

Last edited:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
A few pics from Motorworld in Köln where’s there’s a big Michael Schumacher collection. Not a bad place to look round but wouldn’t go out of my way to visit it had it not been a short enough detour from where we were going.

IMG_1039.jpeg
IMG_1040.jpeg
IMG_1043.jpeg
IMG_1044.jpeg
IMG_1051.jpeg
IMG_1050.jpeg
IMG_1048.jpeg
IMG_1052.jpeg
IMG_1057.jpeg
IMG_1059.jpeg
IMG_1060.jpeg
IMG_1061.jpeg
IMG_1064.jpeg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Classic Remise in Dusseldorf. We went here last year and it was a highlight of the trip. Proper random stuff and plenty of new things to look at this year. I could have spent hours getting a proper look round this had we the time. Both this and Motorworld are free to just come in and wonder about in.

This is just a very small percentage of the stuff there.
IMG_1181.jpeg
IMG_1182.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg
IMG_1190.jpeg
IMG_1199.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_1197.jpeg
IMG_1195.jpeg
IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1200.jpeg
IMG_1202.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1205.jpeg
IMG_1206.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1209.jpeg
IMG_1210.jpeg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I’d hired a Fiesta ST from RSR. It was RHD which kept things a bit familiar. I’d always wanted to drive one of these so it was a good opportunity to see what they’re like. The car was standard apart from PS4 tyres, racy pads and brake fluid.

The wee thing didn’t disappoint at all. Handled real well and with a map must go well too. I’d be tempted with one as a track car to be honest.

RSR were great to deal with too.

(I’ll be buying a couple of these pics once I financially recover from this years trip lol)

IMG_1163.jpeg
IMG_1173.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg

Last edited:

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
In the second museum, are all those cars just parked up or some driven??

It's a part museum, part service centre, part sales, part storage location. All within a large former railway building. The inside part is where the cars are kept and round the outside of the building there are little companies there to service, restore and repair cars. One of the units for example just does high end interiors.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
The Audi had to go unfortunately to try and save some money. Really going to miss this one. Comfy, brutally fast and I think it’s still a handsome looking thing for being 15 years old.

It’s gone to be converted to LPG by the new owner who’s going to commute in it.

IMG_2333.jpeg