Sale regrets 😞

warren

RMS Photographer
I sold a 2007 Boxster for a 2017 M240i, and its one of the worst car decisions I've made. Its faster, but in terms of actual driving satisfaction its not even close.

Its that usual thing, the Boxster gave me the fizz. The M240i is bigger and quieter and I could daily it without issue and using it is generally a non event.

I know your 2 cars may be totally different but thats my experience going from something a bit older to something a bit newer!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Chopped a MK2 golf in for a MK5. I did keep them both for a while just to make sure it was the right decision before finally letting the mk2 go. I tend to swap cars month about though so not necessarily using at the weekend but all the time. My main concern with the mk2 was safety and security with kids.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
My main reservation would be that ive owned it for near 24 yrs so it has obvious sentimental value. My kids are up now so they love it and are also attached to it. Its historic so tax and MOT exempt, therefore running costs are minimal and not really a factor (about £100 a year classic insurance).

My main issue is that its no longer fun, as in i dont use it incase it rains, i dont want to park it anywhere incase it gets damaged, its not even enjoyable to drive. Being a 42 yr old car its not exactly luxurious or an easy drive but i do love it, even after 24 yrs everytime i see it it makes me smile

You get the drift...

saxo_man

RMS Regular
My main reservation would be that ive owned it for near 24 yrs so it has obvious sentimental value. My kids are up now so they love it and are also attached to it. Its historic so tax and MOT exempt, therefore running costs are minimal and not really a factor (about £100 a year classic insurance).

My main issue is that its no longer fun, as in i dont use it incase it rains, i dont want to park it anywhere incase it gets damaged, its not even enjoyable to drive. Being a 42 yr old car its not exactly luxurious or an easy drive but i do love it, even after 24 yrs everytime i see it it makes me smile

You get the drift...
If your kids will value it then it might be worth keeping it. However my view on sentimentality has skewed slightly since I lost my dad and I don’t see as much value in keeping stuff for the sake of it any more.
I think it’s ok to regret a sale of something but it’s important not to ruminate on it.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
After many, many years of chopping between modern sports car to classic and back again. The conclusion is you need both. Because you will pine after the experience of the other regardless of how much you enjoy it.

That’s where I’ve ended up, a daily, a classic and a sports car.

They all offer joy for such different reasons I enjoy them all.

I am a serial car changer so they often change but try and keep that mix. I’ve hardly had the mini out because of the weather but am enjoying tinkering with it and I’ve a few mini runs and shows planned that have really gave me something to look forward to and tinker with it in the evenings in the run up to it. The Porsche did a load of miles up to April and it hasn’t turned a wheel since, have had so much stuff on at weekends etc that I just haven’t felt the need to use it but I know it will be back out in a few weeks time, I’ll drive and enjoy it until I’ve had my full and tuck it away again. When it’s out I actually daily it etc too so again come the end of the year I don’t feel like it’s been a waste.

My problem is usually I have another 1-3 other cars about too and they are the ones that do feel like a waste because I’m not using them. I end up feeling guilty about that, sell them, have restlessness all winter and then buy another car or two to replace them. Rinse and repeat 😂

Landypandy

RMS Member
Drives
SL E30 VX220
911 -> a fresh M3. Magic is gone. M3 is a remarkable car but it’s so good I daily it and then it kills the joy. I still love it but might revert to 2 cars again and pick up a wee Cayman or something for fun. Problem is the cost now of a second car is tough.
Back to a 997 and a daily? I always end up pining for another 997, or a 996, even with all the engine issues.

Think the modern classic/classic + daily debate generally comes down to whether you could be arsed. Helps if you enjoy tinkering, otherwise you'd quickly run out of enthusiasm for all the extra admin/upkeep involved.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
My kids would be gutted if i was to get rid of it (they fight over whos getting it when i snuff it) :joy:

I genuinely dont know if i would part with it, its not worth much and is in no way a highly desirable classic to a lot of people. More the fact that its just turned into a garage ornament through lack of use.

A mate was in the same scenario driving a S2 RS Turbo and has moved to a mk3 Focus RS. He loves it and doesnt regret it at all

Interesting to get peoples experiences

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's a huge difference between something fun and relatively easily replaceable for the weekend and something you've owned for so long, which would be extremely difficult to replace IMO. Not an easy choice to make.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
This, still upsets me 15 years later.

RS rear diff, 8 MR engine and turbo (bearing conversion), Tein coilovers, V interior etc. Was so stiff it cracked the suspension turrets, so she got seam welded when the rally car was getting done.

420hp/400lbs ft

Moving back to NI in 2008 was the reason it got sold as I'd have never been able to get it insured here.

I had V and VI after this but that car gave me so many mad unforgettable memories.

Screenshot_20230726_141821_Facebook.jpg

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
After many, many years of chopping between modern sports car to classic and back again. The conclusion is you need both. Because you will pine after the experience of the other regardless of how much you enjoy it.

That’s where I’ve ended up, a daily, a classic and a sports car.

They all offer joy for such different reasons I enjoy them all.

This if you've space lol

- Supra for classic. I enjoy driving it the few times a year it comes out, but getting to the point I hate leaving it places.
- MX-5 for fun. Cheapest MOT'd mk3 I could find at the time and probably the most fun I've had in a car because, it's good craic, RWD, the roof comes down so gives a bit of a different experience to tin top cars on the drive, and it was cheap so I drive the balls off it and don't care leaving it places. mk3s are also modern enough to daily but old enough to be cheap.
- A6 for a comfy wafty daily.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
As above, in an ideal world i would keep it and buy something disposable for weekend thrashings. Just at the minute personally for me funds, storage and commitments wont allow that so it would be one or the other.

The weather being crap lately certainly doesnt help!! Havent got to any of our normal shows because of winter arriving mid summer :joy:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Like @Mont said above about the MX-5, could you just go out and buy one of the cheapest MOT'd MX-5's to see what you think about having something disposable for the weekends?

You said funds, storage and commitments but its something that could sit outside or on the road, doesn't have to be bought tomorrow and can be driven whenever you have time

If you like having the mx-5, then sell both cars and get something different/better

purplea4T

RMS Regular
This has always been my regret. Absolutely out of the box, base model type 19. Should have held onto it and taken it the way I'd wanted but with a young family, it wasn't getting used. If only we'd known the way prices were going. 1984 with sub 100k, new genuine bumpers front and rear which were a fortune then.......
IMG-20220122-WA0002.jpg

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
78f557af-3ba9-48d1-9061-4082b1335053-jpeg.392246

Have to say, regret selling this when I did. Split it and sold everything up thinking buying a house would be scary expensive, but in reality didn't need to at all.

It just did everything. Looked well, drove well, wasn't hard to run. Take it to a show Saturday, drag race Sunday, work on Monday kind of car which is exactly my type of machine.

Wish I still owned it.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Though this the best post to put this in

Has anybody sold a 'classic' car for something a bit newer? Let me explain.

I have a historic car which i only use at weekends/for shows when its dry/sunny. Ive had it for 24 years now and spent a clean fortune on it. I love it to bits and have it sitting the way i want it. Its been magazine featured and gets loads of attention but ive got to a stage where im nearly scared to use it. Parts are hard to find and super expensive, i dont like using it in the rain for obvious reasons and the cleaning it requires after. I hate leaving it anywhere for fear of damage etc. As a result im only using it a few hundred miles a a year.

Ive thought lately of changing it for something more modern as a weekend car, my theory being that i can use it whatever the weather. Go out and thrash the life out of it and not worry as much.

Be interested to hear peoples thoughts/experiences

Nearly all of mine are like this. I get them, spend money on them and have them sitting exactly how I want them to be, maybe take them out a few times and then park them. I have the Rangie 4 years and have barely done 1000miles in it.

I feel your pain...

pablo

RMS Moderator
Back to a 997 and a daily? I always end up pining for another 997, or a 996, even with all the engine issues.

Think the modern classic/classic + daily debate generally comes down to whether you could be arsed. Helps if you enjoy tinkering, otherwise you'd quickly run out of enthusiasm for all the extra admin/upkeep involved.
then Ill get pissed off running 2 cars and pine for a nice daily again. Cant win (unless youre Pete 3 cars lol)

AC

RMS Regular
Like @Mont said above about the MX-5, could you just go out and buy one of the cheapest MOT'd MX-5's to see what you think about having something disposable for the weekends?

You said funds, storage and commitments but its something that could sit outside or on the road, doesn't have to be bought tomorrow and can be driven whenever you have time

If you like having the mx-5, then sell both cars and get something different/better
You make a good point… got that 182 bought yet? :joy:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I would say sell it if you can replace it with something you have always wanted and it will give you the budget to do so. Like many on here I want to own as many cars as I can so to keep something for 24 years is some accomplishment, the most I’ve owned a car is about 4/5 years.

I get the sentimental side of it though, especially where the kids are concerned. My 6 year old balled his eyes out when I sold the Subaru and I felt genuinely guilty about it, but then when he seen the replacement he was over the moon and thinks it’s the best car ever now.

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Regret selling this big time, lack of use and time at that time to use her regularly and a good offer at that time convinced me to let her go. She's lying covered in moss now apparently and fella won't sell her 😪
Was a real good fit one too
Screenshot_2014-08-24-16-18-09.png

Last edited:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
78f557af-3ba9-48d1-9061-4082b1335053-jpeg.392246

Have to say, regret selling this when I did. Split it and sold everything up thinking buying a house would be scary expensive, but in reality didn't need to at all.

It just did everything. Looked well, drove well, wasn't hard to run. Take it to a show Saturday, drag race Sunday, work on Monday kind of car which is exactly my type of machine.

Wish I still owned it.

Guy that bought it off you still has it, says he will never sell it as he loves it, and can think of nothing better to replace it.