The Tyre Review thread

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Kwik fit doing between 5 and 15% off again Until tomorrow. I can get a full set of Yokohama advan neova v105 for the Elise for just over £400 fitted. Im thinking to just go for them instead of £650 for the R888 which I’ll really only get the full benefit of on a warm dry day or track.

@Chris tii how have you found the advan v105 on a track? Do they melt? I know they come as the OEM tyre on a lot of Lotus cars. The Avon ZZR are very harsh on the road, I think it’s because the side walls are so stiff.

Last edited:

RevT

RMS Regular
I've 19s in getting refurbished currently and been on the lookout for 18s to throw a set of winters on. Being the touring it's 245 all round and not staggered like the saloons so proving harder to get

I’ve a set of 18” MV2’s that would do you.

IMG_2280.jpeg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Kwik fit doing between 5 and 15% off again Until tomorrow. I can get a full set of Yokohama advan neova v105 for the Elise for just over £400 fitted. Im thinking to just go for them instead of £650 for the R888 which I’ll really only get the full benefit of on a warm dry day or track.

@Chris tii how have you found the advan v105 on a track? Do they melt? I know they come as the OEM tyre on a lot of Lotus cars. The Avon ZZR are very harsh on the road, I think it’s because the side walls are so stiff.

Don’t go for R888 if you don’t want stiff side walls, have had them on many Imprezas and it’s the first thing you notice, the second thing being road noise

Fantastic tyre but only for a car you always want to drive quickly

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Think PS4S’s are a lot better than PS4’s and their replacement PS5’s too as they’re marketed/ designed as the more sporty/performance tyre.

My PS4S have plenty of life, but when on a ramp last week we noticed the insides all split! Had to order two new ones.

Great tyres though, superb in the wet.

4bc4f39d-9a6c-4fe1-9eb7-826eeb0fabd5.jpeg

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Have my eye on something like these. Especially if they're winters, I'd want something easier cleaned. The split spoke would put my head away.

Are they 8.5j all round?
Ment to attach this pic ffs
Screenshot_20231030_202947_eBay.jpg

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around

Lotus used V105 on their track experience Elise's at Hethel if that helps your decision.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Wasnt sure what other thread to put this in

Read a thing the other day that winter tyres should be run about 2psi higher than normal. Anyone confirm?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Wasnt sure what other thread to put this in

Read a thing the other day that winter tyres should be run about 2psi higher than normal. Anyone confirm?
Check the handbook for your car it should have winter tyre pressures. I have always just used mine at normal pressure

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Check the handbook for your car it should have winter tyre pressures. I have always just used mine at normal pressure
Handbook? What is this thing you speak of? :joy: :joy:
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Just googled it actually and the big makes say that pressure drops +/- 2 psi for every 10 degrees. So at 0 degrees you should run them 2 psi higher, minus 10 - 4 psi etc.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Handbook? What is this thing you speak of? :joy: :joy:
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Just googled it actually and the big makes say that pressure drops +/- 2 psi for every 10 degrees. So at 0 degrees you should run them 2 psi higher, minus 10 - 4 psi etc.
You know that thing the first owner has somewhere in a cupboard 🤣

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Just splashed the cash on a set of Cross Climate 2, ropey enough on the wing wangs last night in the snow...

Had a bit of a search on here (and wider web) & they seem a good tyre, here's hoping!

Darren91

RMS Regular
Just splashed the cash on a set of Cross Climate 2, ropey enough on the wing wangs last night in the snow...

Had a bit of a search on here (and wider web) & they seem a good tyre, here's hoping!

I have them on 4 different cars and a mix of FWD (225/45/17 x2), torsen awd (245/40/18) and haldex 4wd (235/55/19) - cannot complain one bit.

Edit - until they're wore in (maybe around 1000 miles) I found they were quite loud on-road but this soon diminished once there were some miles put on them.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news

Mine have been very good even now they’re down to 3mm. Have driven them in conditions that would warrant full winter with no bother.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Any recommendations for 2 fronts for a Nissan Juke 1.5d. Checked with Modern they are looking 120 each for Kumhos which I could deal with they wore better but the last ones haven't even last 10k, probably closer to 8k.

Also don't rate Divanntis or however it's spelt.

GrantR

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for 2 fronts for a Nissan Juke 1.5d. Checked with Modern they are looking 120 each for Kumhos which I could deal with they wore better but the last ones haven't even last 10k, probably closer to 8k.

Try KwikFit Online, £95 each for Uniroyal RainSport 5 in 205/60/16, great tyre and wears well. Over 20k done on the rears of my sister's 220d!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

If you can get General Tires near by they are good value in terms or grip/mileage/price, brother got over 20k on the front of his golf with 18’s. Quality tyre as like uniroyal they are owned by Continental.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
If you can get General Tires near by they are good value in terms or grip/mileage/price, brother got over 20k on the front of his golf with 18’s. Quality tyre as like uniroyal they are owned by Continental.
Place i use locally swear by General

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI

Good move. They've been superb on my old beater Passat so far in this cold snap.

Had a 3am airport run on Tuesday morning, was laughable how controllable they made the old barge in freshly fallen snow. Just be wary of braking distance, not as strong as out and out winter tyres, but definitely decent.

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
Car is only 14 months old and i’ve done 11k miles and my Pirelli’s are toast :scream: and about 2k of those miles were easy motorway miles to the South of France. The rears are down to the wear bars and the fronts aren’t far behind. Absolutely dreadful to drive in those cold, wet temps with both understeer and oversteer. Getting PS4S on today and cannot wait - was gutted I lost the tyre lottery and didn’t get them on the car when I bought it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
My Nokian and Semperit winter combo on the Passat has been working wonders the last few days. Had to do a hairy school run this morning and had no issues on the hills.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Car is only 14 months old and i’ve done 11k miles and my Pirelli’s are toast :scream: and about 2k of those miles were easy motorway miles to the South of France. The rears are down to the wear bars and the fronts aren’t far behind. Absolutely dreadful to drive in those cold, wet temps with both understeer and oversteer. Getting PS4S on today and cannot wait - was gutted I lost the tyre lottery and didn’t get them on the car when I bought it.

PS4S aren't great on the snow and ice either. They're not bad but certainly no winter tyre. Tempted with getting a spare set of winter wheels sorted for next year or maybe even kitting the TT out with all weathers and digging it out if there's going to be snow. It was surprisingly excellent in it last year.

C.J

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk3TTQuattro
Is there a general consensus on the best tyre for our winter here? We hardly need something that meets the demands of Alps or Scandanavia? Coldish, permanently wet and greasy, snow but not a lot...