The Tyre Review thread

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Michelin cross climate 2 the mk5 golf gti of tyres 🤣

A cheaper option would be Hankook Kinergy 4S2. Have these on an A6 Allroad and they have been excellent so far.
Won’t go wrong with either of those, or the Goodyear Vector Gen3 or new Bridgestone Turanza All Season 6. Conti’s AllSeason 2 seems good too. I’d just go for whichever is on sale and best value.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I had the Bridgestone weather control 3s and they wore very quickly and weren’t just as good as the Michelins.

My cross climates have about 25k miles on the and still have about 3mm granted they’ve been swapped front to back a few times.
Edit the Bridgestones also cracked badly.

I’ve fitted budget imperial all seasons on the back and they’re also dead on. Had them on the Passat and they were good until they got to about 3mm when they started to get bad in the wet.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I had the Bridgestone weather control 3s and they wore very quickly and weren’t just as good as the Michelins.

My cross climates have about 25k miles on the and still have about 3mm granted they’ve been swapped front to back a few times.
Only test I’ve seen with predicted wear rates was this one. They’ve imrpoved but still can’t match Michelin 2023 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Few can usually, and Michelin tyres continue to perform well at low tread depths.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Only test I’ve seen with predicted wear rates was this one. They’ve imrpoved but still can’t match Michelin 2023 Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Few can usually, and Michelin tyres continue to perform well at low tread depths.
I can confirm that my cc2 are still performing perfectly in snow and compacted snow as when they were new.

I find that mind bending how does that work 🤣

Last winter I had khumo winters on the front and the cross climates on the back. When I rotated the cc2 to the front were better than the khumos in the snow.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Is there a general consensus on the best tyre for our winter here? We hardly need something that meets the demands of Alps or Scandanavia? Coldish, permanently wet and greasy, snow but not a lot...
Lassa Snoway 4’s or multiways (allseason). Lassa is owned by Bridgestone, another quality tyre at a lower price. Great improvement in poor weather and good wearing

On the budget end Austone make a decent allseason tyre

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Being owned by a premium brand doesn’t mean that the budget brand is any good. Those Lassa winter tyres for example

There are cases where it is the case, see Kleber’s latest all season which is very similar to the CrossClimate, but you can’t buy blind because X owns Y.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Anyone any experience of Rainsport 5’s?
Had them on the Passat I liked them the tread makes them a bit squirmy feeling. I sold it with them on it so didn’t get to see how they wore.

GrantR

RMS Regular
Anyone any experience of Rainsport 5’s?

Solid tyre, great wet performance, fantastic wear, pushing hard in a heavy car on a warm dry day and feel a little soft, but solid tyre. I run them on a 220d and will be purchasing again.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Being owned by a premium brand doesn’t mean that the budget brand is any good. Those Lassa winter tyres for example

There are cases where it is the case, see Kleber’s latest all season which is very similar to the CrossClimate, but you can’t buy blind because X owns Y.

If only someone that sells tyres for a living could help us 😂

Solid tyre, great wet performance, fantastic wear, pushing hard in a heavy car on a warm dry day and feel a little soft, but solid tyre. I run them on a 220d and will be purchasing again.

They seem excellent value too.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

They aren’t up there with there premium counterparts but on some sizes they are 2/3rds to a 1/2 cheaper and they are still a quality made tyre.

Lassas don’t seem to get hugely high with online Reviews but they are our main tyre and anyone that runs them buy them again and anyone who has tried the winter tyres rate them. We’ve used them ourselves on various vehicles include fwd golf, my Mazda MPS, rwd mercs And the new van multiway-c on the Sprinter and then wintus on the older van. May not be the best winter tyre but the are night and day difference compared to any normal tyre and wear very well.

Its a quality made tyre at a decent price.

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
I have used a set of Lassa's. Found them a decent hardwearing tyre. Got 32k on the front which was mainly motorway driving. Found them a little noisy at 70mpg, and a little less fuel efficient than the Goodyear Duragrip that I had on before.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
anyone that runs them buy them again and anyone who has tried the winter tyres rate them.
Most of the public have a fairly low bar when it comes to tyres. Black, round and not too expensive otherwise we’d not have the prevalence of Chinese ditchfinders that we do.

They’re probably in fairness better than a lot of those. I’ll remain sceptical until the tyre testers start raving about Turkish tyre companies, even if they have done a JV with Bridgestone. Looks though to be limited to motorbike tyres so doubt there is much if any IP shared for their road tyres. If there was, I’m sure they’d be pushing it.

May not be the best winter tyre but the are night and day difference compared to any normal tyre and wear very well.

True. Even a bad winter is better than a summer when it comes to doing what they’re made to do as the Leao tyre tested here shows.

Reactions: 5dr

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Most of the public have a fairly low bar when it comes to tyres. Black, round and not too expensive otherwise we’d not have the prevalence of Chinese ditchfinders that we do.

They’re probably in fairness better than a lot of those. I’ll remain sceptical until the tyre testers start raving about Turkish tyre companies, even if they have done a JV with Bridgestone. Looks though to be limited to motorbike tyres so doubt there is much if any IP shared for their road tyres. If there was, I’m sure they’d be pushing it.

True. Even a bad winter is better than a summer when it comes to doing what they’re made to do as the Leao tyre tested here shows.
Some of Bridgestone’s tyres are made in the same factory, also in South Africa and Taiwan

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
They aren’t up there with there premium counterparts but on some sizes they are 2/3rds to a 1/2 cheaper and they are still a quality made tyre.

Lassas don’t seem to get hugely high with online Reviews but they are our main tyre and anyone that runs them buy them again and anyone who has tried the winter tyres rate them. We’ve used them ourselves on various vehicles include fwd golf, my Mazda MPS, rwd mercs And the new van multiway-c on the Sprinter and then wintus on the older van. May not be the best winter tyre but the are night and day difference compared to any normal tyre and wear very well.

Its a quality made tyre at a decent price.

Dad always ran Lassa (non winters) and never had any bother. They were always 100%.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Dad always ran Lassa (non winters) and never had any bother. They were always 100%.
Ran them myself at different times and don’t compete with Goodyear f1 eagles or mich pilot sports for outright grip/traction and feel. But they are a very good tyre for lot less money. And great strong sidewalls.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Using firestones all seasons on the daily and they are grand, been 100% this cold snap, although I haven’t been acting the sick. They were a decent price too, my da always runs them, must be a retro kind of thing I remember him getting the when I was a kid lol.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I will need tyres shortly. Not a huge amount in it at the moment between these 3 with the discount black circle have on.

Continental Sport Contact 7 - £143 each
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 - £142 each
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S - £163 each

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I will need tyres shortly. Not a huge amount in it at the moment between these 3 with the discount black circle have on.

I put 4 Continental Sport Contact 7 on the A6 a few months ago. Very impressed by them and much better than the Pirellis they replaced.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

Seen a few posts of ones on forums moving from the reliable PS4S to the CSC7's

I will be on the same boat later this year and debating what to put on next - for the last 6 years they have all been MPS4S'

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
I quite like the Eagle F1's as they have good rim protection too. The pilot sport 4 sometimes has and sometimes doesn't, not sure on the system they have.

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
I went SC7 last year on the m3 on @G24NTR recommendation. They are much much better, but I had pilot Super Sports on which aren't ideal for a daily anyway, but they definitely are a massive improvement.