What's taken your fancy in the classifieds today?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Anyone with first hand experience with Mercedes A Class from mid 2010's?

We are considering letting the Q5 go and getting something smaller, cheaper to tax, run and insure since the boys have got a bit bigger and not needing such a big car (I've survived with a 3dr hatch for example)

Looking at Golf GTE/GTD, A3 1.4TSI etc... but she seems to be settled on an A Class - I have cleaned several and are nice cars but know very little about them and what to look at. Personally I would be looking at the A250 :joy: any thougts? Would maybe have £12k to spend or less ideally

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The diesels use Renault engines which would be enough to put me off. The facelift ones look very smart/aggressive

Didn't know that and she sent me this one as reference

Dont think I would want her in a diesel again but there is potential for her to get a promotion within work later this year which will require travel around the whole of Ireland so I am not wanting to have to look at another car later in the year that would be more economical

Or this one

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My parents had one. Was largely reliable but it was new. Had a number of minor electrical niggles but otherwise it was fine.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi

We are considering letting the Q5 go and getting something smaller, cheaper to tax, run and insure since the boys have got a bit bigger and not needing such a big car (I've survived with a 3dr hatch for example)

Looking at Golf GTE/GTD, A3 1.4TSI etc... but she seems to be settled on an A Class - I have cleaned several and are nice cars but know very little about them and what to look at. Personally I would be looking at the A250 :joy: any thougts? Would maybe have £12k to spend or less ideally
Wife has a 2016 A180, and as @Gavlar says its a diesel Renault engine. had it near 5 years now and has gave no real bother at all. Think the biggest headache as been a TPMS sensor that just random decides when it wants to work, just being lazy and will change it when the tyre is getting changed.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think the 2.1 is a merc engine, if it’s the same one that’s in the FIL’s E class, his is around 180bhp and has been faultless for 10 years, also gets good mpg.

Reactions: Ben

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63

The other half had the B class variant of these, basically the same car but more of an MPV shape, nearly sure it was something stupidly cheap to tax like £20 a year too.

Great comfy car to drive and well enough put together and largely reliable with the odd niggle.

The diesel 1.8 and 2.1 are merc engines with chains and the 1.5 is the renault engine which have belts.

Hers had the 1.8 and the newer DCCT gearbox and she averaged 42mpg over the lifetime of having it.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I think the 2.1 is a merc engine, if it’s the same one that’s in the FIL’s E class, his is around 180bhp and has been faultless for 10 years, also gets good mpg.

The 2.1 in the A Class is only 136bhp but I am sure that can be mapped if needed

Edit: Celtic up to 187bhp

Do you own a Mercedes Benz A Class? Gain up to 40% of power!

Now to dive deep down the rabbit hole of A Classes to see whats best!

Thanks everyone so far

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Never been the biggest fan on the 911 Speedster, but this one is just perfect 😍

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
My word...

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
FML - 26 pictures, 1 of the car, wtf

Watch which wheels you end up with on the A Class.

The A class is lighter than most Merc's but AMG wheels are awful quality for cracking.

Went through 2 x sets of genuine 19" AMG rims on my CLS so i'd try to stick with 18s and a beefier sidewall.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Watch which wheels you end up with on the A Class.

The A class is lighter than most Merc's but AMG wheels are awful quality for cracking.

Went through 2 x sets of genuine 19" AMG rims on my CLS so i'd try to stick with 18s and a beefier sidewall.

Seem to be so many options for them

Just found out this morning there is a A220 with the 170bhp engine which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Then a Night Edition is an option too.

So spec to look out for now is:

A220 2.1CDI with 170bhp
Pan roof
Night edition
Auto (happy with manual for right spec)
Under 60k
Any colour but red (she doesn't like red)
Cruise control which I think they mostly come with
Facelift ideally (2016) but I am unsure if the pan roof comes in facelift??? Haven't noticed any early models with one

Anything else thats above and beyond normal spec to look out for?

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Seem to be so many options for them

Just found out this morning there is a A220 with the 170bhp engine which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Then a Night Edition is an option too.

So spec to look out for now is:

A220 2.1CDI with 170bhp
Pan roof
Night edition
Auto (happy with manual for right spec)
Under 60k
Any colour but red (she doesn't like red)
Cruise control which I think they mostly come with
Facelift ideally (2016) but I am unsure if the pan roof comes in facelift??? Haven't noticed any early models with one

Anything else thats above and beyond normal spec to look out for?

Yes avoid the mercedes red they have issues with lacquer peel.

If the A class got them have a look out for the LED intelligent lighting system

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Have you checked the insurance on an Adam yet @Mel friend of mine bought one for his daughter and they could hardly even get a quote, he ended up selling it and getting her a 107

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Have you checked the insurance on an Adam yet @Mel friend of mine bought one for his daughter and they could hardly even get a quote, he ended up selling it and getting her a 107
Yes I priced it, maybe your friend had got a 1.4? Insurance is all much the same, just over 3k fully comp with me as a named driver, cheaper with a black box but have read too many bad reports about them.

Courtney so has her Mums sense of humour, texted me at lunch to say her only concern was the lack of boot space in the Adam, where would she fit a pram :joy: