E46 M3

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
That Last Pic with the Sun setting In the background looks Class (y)

Cheers. Love that one myself. If ever I get a garage, it'll be on the wall.

@mcmurray just curious to what your camera settings were for the last sunset picture? Experimenting with my own at the minute! Car sits and looks absolutely perfect! Hard to beat a nice clean E46!

1/320 at f2.8, ISO 800. Edited a lot to get it looking how I wanted though. Tripod would have been handy.

Saw you yesterday morning at the traffic lights at Annesborough. Even in the dull morning it looked unreal.

Thanks. Stinking at the minute but the grey hides it well.

Superb, I thought you got Tyres not long ago;)

I did, these are the same ones. Just hadn't updated this thread in a while.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Fantastic, love how it sits. I have the glass to replace my rear view mirror also, something to do over Christmas!!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Another few months, another few bits done.

The soft-touch/rubber type stuff on the steering wheel trim was chipped and scuffed. Rubbed it down, primed it, and gave it a few coats of matt black that I had lying in the shed. Doesn't have the same rubber feel but looks a load better and the colour is close enough to the original trim.

m3-1.jpg

m3-2.jpg

A new pair of xenon bulbs after one had started flickering.

m3-3.jpg

Some spring cleaning now the weather is a bit better.

m3-6.jpg

Last year, a few bubbles had started to show on the front wing. There were some small bits of corrosion on the mirror backing plate and rear quarter as well (the joys of owning an E46), so decided to get the whole side painted. Held off till after the winter to get it sorted. New wing was ordered from Prentice. They were happy enough to beat the price I'd got from Cotswold via Cutters.

m3-5.jpg

The old wing had been repaired (badly) by someone in the past. Don't know how many miles were on this wing but it was always a slightly different shade to the rest of the car, so I'm glad to get it off.

m3-4.jpg

The painter did a great job, really pleased with it. I'll probably get a few other bits done when the bank account recovers.

m3-7.jpg

m3-8.jpg

m3-9.jpg

There is always something needing done. Next on the list, the coolant temperature sensor that's tucked up under the throttle bodies and air box. That's a job for the easter holidays. :confounded:

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
I should add to this thread, although it looks good in photos, it's used regularly and isn't a show car.

I'm probably the only owner who hasn't his tucked up in a garage at this point. Don't want anyone thinking it's 'mint' when it comes to selling time. 🧐

m3-10.jpg

MarkM

RMS Regular
I should add to this thread, although it looks good in photos, it's used regularly and isn't a show car.

I'm probably the only owner who hasn't his tucked up in a garage at this point. Don't want anyone thinking it's 'mint' when it comes to selling time. 🧐

m3-10.jpg

Superb pic :cool:
Been there with putting them away and doing no miles, such a waste, never again, cars are to be enjoyed

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Another few months, another few bits done.

The soft-touch/rubber type stuff on the steering wheel trim was chipped and scuffed. Rubbed it down, primed it, and gave it a few coats of matt black that I had lying in the shed. Doesn't have the same rubber feel but looks a load better and the colour is close enough to the original trim.

m3-1.jpg

m3-2.jpg

A new pair of xenon bulbs after one had started flickering.

m3-3.jpg

Some spring cleaning now the weather is a bit better.

m3-6.jpg

Last year, a few bubbles had started to show on the front wing. There were some small bits of corrosion on the mirror backing plate and rear quarter as well (the joys of owning an E46), so decided to get the whole side painted. Held off till after the winter to get it sorted. New wing was ordered from Prentice. They were happy enough to beat the price I'd got from Cotswold via Cutters.

m3-5.jpg

The old wing had been repaired (badly) by someone in the past. Don't know how many miles were on this wing but it was always a slightly different shade to the rest of the car, so I'm glad to get it off.

m3-4.jpg

The painter did a great job, really pleased with it. I'll probably get a few other bits done when the bank account recovers.

m3-7.jpg

m3-8.jpg

m3-9.jpg

There is always something needing done. Next on the list, the coolant temperature sensor that's tucked up under the throttle bodies and air box. That's a job for the easter holidays. :confounded:

Fantastic work, scary how the wing corroded.

Turns out you arn't the only one doing a a coolant temp sensor on an M3 over the Easter break lol. You getting intermittent engine management light whenever the car is cooled then restarted?

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Fantastic work, scary how the wing corroded.

Turns out you arn't the only one doing a a coolant temp sensor on an M3 over the Easter break lol. You getting intermittent engine management light whenever the car is cooled then restarted?

No EML or fault code but the coolant temp (using the on board computer test functions) is only getting to about 72 degrees, then it'll drop to 65 and sit there. Thermostat is new so the temp sensor is next in line. Hopefully sorts it.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Got the new coolant temp sensor in last night.

Air box and manifold has to come off to get at the sensor. Simple enough job, although I ran out of light, so it was harder than it should have been.

Sensor sorted the issue. Coolant topped off and bled and temps are back to normal.

C57A2FDE-7DAE-48D6-99C0-E643D9A98794.jpeg

9E8A2143-6549-42E3-B640-DC46017D2E8B.jpeg

B8A468C2-D812-44B4-9F40-938E44F4E372.jpeg

CAA5A0B5-C932-4058-BA46-9F5CCC9B77B8.jpeg

25050DC8-D30D-41C0-968D-81CD948B19B5.jpeg

992AFC45-0B0E-4438-8274-F17DDB85CC68.jpeg

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
@mcmurray are you running Eibach springs on that mate? I'd like to do a refresh on my suspension this year and don't want coilovers and I don't like how the Teins I currently have feel.

Is there spacers on it or do you run csl tyre sizes? Looks nice and purposeful in that last pic.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
@mcmurray are you running Eibach springs on that mate? I'd like to do a refresh on my suspension this year and don't want coilovers and I don't like how the Teins I currently have feel.

Is there spacers on it or do you run csl tyre sizes? Looks nice and purposeful in that last pic.

9.5" et40 wheel with a 255 tyre on the rear. 225 on the front.

Last edited:

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
Another few bits needing done :rolleyes:.

It needed a new window regulator and ball joint replaced in the rear arm. It was due an oil change too, so took a sample of the old oil and sent it off to The Oil Lab for testing again. The results came back fine, similar to the 2 previous tests. Only doing this as I'm interested to see if there's much wear over the time I've owned it.

I've swapped out the standard exhaust tips for a slightly bigger 'euro style' set. Lower part of the rear bumper clips off and there's 3 rivets holding the old tips on. Heads ground off with a Dremel and punched out. The new ones rivet into the same holes so handy enough job to do on the driveway. Subtle difference but sits much better in the rear bumper now.

m3-18.jpg

m3-23.jpg

m3-15.jpg

m3-16.jpg

m3-19.jpg

m3-20.jpg

m3-21.jpg

m3-25.JPG

m3-24.JPG

01-jpg.236023

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
An absolute stunning example. Actually really makes me miss mine, and at the same time angry that I didnt do right by it and make it 100% original like yours lol

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
2 years on. Still here.

rms-m3-8.jpg

Was never fussed on the chrome slats in the kidney grills and don't like the aftermarket black ones. Ordered a set from BMW that (I think) come on 4 cylinder e46's. Chrome outer but with black slats. Minor thing most won't notice but I prefer them.

rms-m3-1.jpg

rms-m3-2.jpg

rms-m3-3.jpg

New parked sensor needed which is a bumper off job. 6 nuts in the boot and few clip in the rear arches. Forget how to reverse when your sensors aren't working.

rms-m3-4.jpg

rms-m3-5.jpg

Finally got round to sorting out the front brakes. I don't drive this hard often but the brakes have never felt up to the job. Didn't want to spend £2k+ on AP's for road use. Was planning to go down the 6 pot BMW Performance caliper and CSL disc route but the discs are only 345mm so not a massive improvement.

While searching for alternatives, found out that the F8X M2/M3/M4 Brembos fit the E46 (with slight modification). I did a bit more research and decided they'd be a decent upgrade. Managed to pick up a set of calipers and 380mm discs from a low-mile M2, which are in great condition. Hopefully get a bit of free time this weekend and try and get them on. Not totally sold on the blue but should fill the wheels a lot better. To be continued.....

rms-m3-6.jpg

rms-m3-7.jpg

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
I wish Id done this rather than putting on new discs all round.....but hey ho.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
OP
mcmurray
Drives
M3
I wish Id done this rather than putting on new discs all round.....but hey ho.

Only doing the fronts as the rears are a bit more work.

Need to stay out of that discounted Eisenmann thread until my bank balance recovers or there'll be 2 coming to NI. :monkey: