Question about dealership sale.

Eponewakka

RMS Member
OP
E
Buy's a car at £1k, specifically told trade sale....hard to believe anyone is naïve enough to either not ask, or not know what that infers.

By all accounts yes you might expect it to start a day or two later.....but without knowing why it won't start, it's all a bit silly.

Was there any instructions telling you to put the correct fuel in it ? As running out of fuel would also cause a non start.

Not interested in engaging in toxic discussion.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Unfortunately the world of 1k cars is full of cr4p and you were taking an enormous risk buying a 1k motor from a dealer who should have the knowledge and resources to fix whatever is wrong with it.

24hrs is plainly ridiculous though so I'd ask him to give a full refund and that way the matter is closed on both sides.

KevM

RMS Regular
Not interested in engaging in toxic discussion.

As silly and condescending as it sounds, you do really need to go back to basics with some idiots.

I have had a woman try to reject a car because she couldn't get her CD to go into the player. She visited the showroom, I ejected her Other CD and put the new one in....

Another girl wanted to throw a Merc back because it kept bringing a red warning triangle on when she was on the motorway. We explained that the car's radar was telling her to stop tailgating

I have had an old gent trade an old straight diesel in for something a bit more modern & tell me of how great it was that he ran the old car on stupidly cheap fuel, which I explained to him, wouldn't work in a modern fuel system, to which he agreed. 6-8 weeks later, he's in the showroom again, trying to claim £4k of fuel system under warranty & threaten me with suicide when I gave him the 'fuel' sample from his car & told him to go get the petrol station to pay his bill...

If I had a tenner for every TPMS idiot that complains about the light being on, but hasn't noticed their slow puncture, I'd be a happy man!

& Yes, I have had people run out of fuel before, who were looking at their temperature gauge for the first week of ownership and thought they were half full.....

So, you can't assume any level of common sense or decency these days unfortunately.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Tangent from the original post, but related to KevM's post. My uncle had told me about a woman buying a new Austin Mini (would have been in the 70s) that was really sore on fuel and not always running right. She'd it back to the dealer numerous times and they couldn't find anything at fault every time they checked it and test drove it. In a last ditch attempt to resolve the issue they said they wanted to sit in the car while she was driving it and she agreed. Dealer sat in Mini and then she got in pulled the choke fully out, hung her handbag on it and set off :laughing:

chrisQ

RMS Regular
We're currently involved in a dispute with a car trader who listed the sale on the invoice as a trade sale as he gave us a slight discount to allow for a few small repairs, 22 miles later and the engine is noisey. Seeked advice from trading standards who informed me that a trade sale is only valid when the car is paid for via a trade account and is sold to a trader, failing that its classed as a private sale and they have more or less same rights as someone who bought a car with a warranty basically regardless off what it says on invoice. Only way out for them is if they state on invoice that car was sold as parts or repair as its deemed not suitable for purpose then

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Is it a big dealership?
If a small mid-Ulster trader like I had issues with last year it doesn’t matter if you involve trading standards as it doesn’t help much- takes tons of time and you’ll probably not get your money anyway.

Ps some of the “advice” and comments I’ve heard from traders or car salespersons on these forums is properly condescending and I’d never buy a car from them.

My advice tho is to take the hit, for that price point it’s not worth months and months of hassle for nothing

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Is it a big dealership?
If a small mid-Ulster trader like I had issues with last year it doesn’t matter if you involve trading standards as it doesn’t help much- takes tons of time and you’ll probably not get your money anyway.

Ps some of the “advice” and comments I’ve heard from traders or car salespersons on these forums is properly condescending and I’d never buy a car from them.

My advice tho is to take the hit, for that price point it’s not worth months and months of hassle for nothing
Big enough yeah, around 50+ cars on his site I'd say. There's a considerable amount more money involved than the original post though so it would be a big enough hit to take it on the chin by time we repair or replace engine

scub

Banned
I’d ask to return it or have it fixed. Taking cash is a short term gain but you would burn it quick chasing an awkward problem.

even ask if you can return it and put it towards another car.
aye you'd be busting to buy another car off that bloke 🤦‍♂️

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
I'd be getting it checked out with your own mechanic, could be a battery on a car that age, sitting up for a while, if its worse than that at least you will know the faults and go back to the dealer.

In todays market, if you got it running you could double your money 💰🤑😉.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Relax lads, its only the Internet.... 🤣
Frustrated Keyboard GIF

KevM

RMS Regular
Relax lol

Says the man who has to comment on everything 🤣

Ack man, you probably come across my replies more often than most, as you have a new thread on nearly every 3 months, asking how you can get your money back off a dealer!?

I'm only Joking by the way, dont go all stalky me again 🤣 🤣 🤣

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Few years back a guy bought a machine with adblue specifically told all about ad blue as it wasn't in them that long. Not long after back in, load of diagnostic work, couldn't figure it out. Turn out adblue wasn't added he just fired the hose into it, wrecked the system about 4/5k to sort out.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Buys trade car for £1000, expects warranty. :joy:

Buying a trade car is like an episode of Columbo, you’ve got the dead body and now you need to piece together the mystery of what actually killed it before you decide to drag the corpse away. If you are incapable of doing this, you probably shouldn’t buy a cheap trade car.

Regardless of legal rights, accepting a trade car then reneging on your agreement with the salesperson because your gamble into cheap motoring has not paid off is just as scummy a tactic as any rogue salesperson.

It’s actually the same actions that make companies and people bin serviceable items rather than sell them off cheap as people can’t be trusted to honourable with an agreement.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I don’t see it as condescending, it’s someone looking at the sale from the other side of the fence. There should be a responsibility for the person entering an agreement to understand it.

Them then changing the terms of a deal because they didn’t understand it, or worse, understand it and then want the benefits of a full sale is equally ****ty

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Surely selling a car as "trade" is illegal unless it's actually to a trader? So a dealer attempting to pull the wool over a first time buyers eyes by saying they'll sell it a little cheaper to them as a "trade" sale is just incorrect? Both factually and morally.

RMS is a bit of an echo chamber - we're here because we all know a bit about cars. The general public don't. They might not know that a car not running could be sorted with a £50 battery etc. They just see something they've paid £1000 for (which is a lot of money) which now doesn't work. Of course they're going to go back to the point of purchase to try get it resolved.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
As has been said, there's no such thing as a trade sale to a member of the public, would not stand up in small claims. The transaction has to be between two traders. However, as has also been said the purchaser should hear alarm bells at the fact the dealer is calling it a trade sale, and should really have low expectations of both the car and the dealers potential response to an issue. Dealers should not be doing this and hoping the buyer does not know the law.

And sorry, but £1,000 is not a lot of money in the car world, these days it's the absolute bottom of the barrel and anyone not car minded or handy buying a car for £1,000 would really need to take some responsibility for that or will learn a lesson from it. There are very few £1,000 cars someone could go out and buy and start driving without having issues, regardless of where they buy them. The price will always be taken in to account when determining what can be reasonably expected in terms of being fit for purpose if it went to small claims.

eamon343

RMS Regular
As has been said, there's no such thing as a trade sale to a member of the public, would not stand up in small claims. The transaction has to be between two traders. However, as has also been said the purchaser should hear alarm bells at the fact the dealer is calling it a trade sale, and should really have low expectations of both the car and the dealers potential response to an issue. Dealers should not be doing this and hoping the buyer does not know the law.

And sorry, but £1,000 is not a lot of money in the car world, these days it's the absolute bottom of the barrel and anyone not car minded or handy buying a car for £1,000 would really need to take some responsibility for that or will learn a lesson from it. There are very few £1,000 cars someone could go out and buy and start driving without having issues, regardless of where they buy them. The price will always be taken in to account when determining what can be reasonably expected in terms of being fit for purpose if it went to small claims.

I fully agree with what you say, id buy a car at £1000 with my eyes open and wouldn't be expecting any kind of warrantee. But what happens if a dealer has a £1000 car, nice useable car but a bit old to be offering any sort of warrantee with it?

Legally, can they only sell it as a trade sale to another trader, who will then be in the same predicament as the first dealer, or sell it to the public with a warrantee and probably make no money or loose a bit on it when inevitably something goes wrong in a few months time?