£2k - What car (yeah another one ffs)...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ahem... no abuse please... :oops: :oops:

A 'mate' of mine, might possibly be looking at something around the £2k mark in the next wee while to get him to/from work, etc. This is a might, so please don't send me dung loads of PM's.

Has to be £2k or under, reliable and fairly fresh. Half decent mpg would also be handy because he does about 400 miles a week and something that could be hooned the odd weekend or enjoyed on a country blast...

I was thinking about something like a MK1 2.0 Focus, but bar that I'm fresh out of ideas tbh and even then I don't think they're too easy on the juice...

Anyone any other possible suggestions???

Anything goes really, but prefer to swing away from the usual 300k mile VAGs & BM's...

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
or ... Saxo VTS

You can get really low milege MGZR's for around that money ... would possibly fail on reliablity but if you got a decent one (y)

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, get her remapped and it will be pushing 180-200bhp, reliable enough VAG lumps in them, decent MPG and fairly comfy.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
A3 wouldn't be a bad choice actually... should be able to pick up one with reasonable mileage for £2k

millhouse1002

RMS Regular
Drives
55MPG!
or ... Saxo VTS

You can get really low milege MGZR's for around that money ... would possibly fail on reliablity but if you got a decent one (y)

i had my mg zr td+ upto around 165bhp from the 101bhp standard. and it still returned 35-40mpg driving hard....

a derv zr is definately alot better than the petrol models...

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
You'd get a mint GTi-6 for that money and so far I really can't fault mine too much! I wouldn't recommend a 106 as they are crap on long journeys and the 306 is much better value. Mine is doing 35mpg on mixed driving.

You could do a lot worse than a 1.8 or 2.0 Focus, but they are a tad boring in standard trim. VERY good cars though!

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
I just picked up a 2.3 '99 Bora with under 80k miles for under £2k. Very well specced and a joy to drive... handles surprisingly well also. A few in England for that sort of money. Can get up to 40mpg on a run but falls drastically round town or with a heavy foot :innocent:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Mint GTi-6? I thought only a semi-rough one would be obtainable for that kind of money!

I do love 306's, my GF had a 1.4 Meridian 5 door job, gay as you like but it was cracking fun round the back-roads... reliability would be a concern. Have you had much issues with yours mate?

2.3 Bora also a nice choice Gman. See your Corrado for sale there. Would be a cracking buy for someone.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Coil pack went in mine, got a set of 4 off ebay for a tenner and that's all I've spent in 4k miles. I know they do give the usual French troubles though.

Rough ones go for about 800-1200 and good examples around 2k. You'd do well looking for a good 106/VTS for that money!

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
Thanks Coog.... bargain considering the money I've spent on it!
Good luck searching for the new motor though

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Right Leon is going next weekend so still looking ideas.

Needs to keep me entertained too, Im getting as bad as Ferret ffs :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
haha, heard that was still for sale...

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
As you said MK1.5 2.0 Focus would be a great all rounder for that money, very reliable and cheap as chips to insure and maintain. Should average around 33-35mpg mixed driving, not exactly a binge drinker. They are great fun down an empty backroad.

I would also be looking at an early mk1 Octy VRS for that kind of money - fantastic car.

C4L

RMS Regular
mg zr td...get a fairly plain standard one for near £2k and sdi injectors decat and a remap for about £300 = 160bhp 250ft/lbs over 50mpg and dead reliable (the diesels anyway)

C4L

RMS Regular
haha don't look at me tsport just commented on it and i saw it on the recent threads on the forum page

atleast on the bright side hes likely got a car sorted by now lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.