£400 V6 Grandad Car

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Needed a workhorse for a few months on a budget and found this on Facebook a few miles from the house.

Service history for most of it's life and drives great around town and at 70+. And it doesn't run on devil juice so winner.

It's a C240 Sport.

Plans are to spend £15 on a tin of black paint for the grill and a touch up kit for the wings, get oil and filter done and then not spend a penny on it until it dies.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

Last edited:

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Love it, something satisfying about buying a cheap daily that just keeps on going.

My 1.0l Polo was like that. Took absolute dogs abuse and just kept going.

This I'll go easy on. Apart from the bodywork it's a really nice car.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I've never had one but already been roped into a dump run earlier.

Absolutely everything in it works, all the electrics, no bumps or rattles anywhere. Most satisfying purchase in a long time.
Bags me one of them dump runs Ant! Does it do 15mpg? Health to waft buddy

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Bags me one of them dump runs Ant! Does it do 15mpg? Health to waft buddy

I watched the needle drop on a spirited run earlier.. Reviews seem to suggest high 20s to low 30s on average. It's a nice place to be though so 70 on cruise control on any long trips should be fine.

Plus 45ppm so who cares really.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
This looks great. Dog seems content too!

I do fancy some proper barge motoring someday. The Pistonheads threads and Grand Tour purchases always get my interest - especially the big stuff, like a 7 series or S-class.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
I do fancy some proper barge motoring someday. The Pistonheads threads and Grand Tour purchases always get my interest - especially the big stuff, like a 7 series or S-class.

Some of the newer stuff just terrifies me. The idea of a crank snapping, turbos letting go or something equally catastrophic, even at sub 100K, is all too common.

My 8 series was definitely in barge territory but even then the worst of it was just electrical. The drivetrain was still fairly unstressed and any mechanical issues could be resolved at home.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Did about 400 miles this week and just about stretched a tank out of it. Need to brim it tomorrow to work out actual mpg but quick maffs says about 30ish I think. Half of that was cruise on at 80 so not all that bad. Can watch the needle drop pushing it on a back road.

Previous owner chopped the back box off for the Cannonball run and while it sounds great at full chat I'm guessing MOT in July might present a hurdle. I have the back box so if it's still alive in 3 months I'll stick it back on.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Averaging around 27mpg so far.

Had to buy a gallon of oil for it and a new wiper blade as the previous was as useful as your ma trying to twerk on the windscreen and was at the point of being dangerous.

Also spent 4 quid on a rattle can of black paint while I was there to tidy up the grill. Rash job but tidied up the front immensely > 3ft away at least.

6453D41C-C91F-4EFC-A019-33702169AF5E.jpeg

Last edited:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Averaging around 27mpg so far.

Had to buy a gallon of oil for it and a new wiper blade as the previous was as useful as your ma trying to twerk on the windscreen and was at the point of being dangerous.

Also spent 4 quid on a rattle can of black paint while I was there to tidy up the front grill. Rash job but tidied up the front immensely > 3ft away at least.

View attachment 234395

Hard to beat an old tank!!!

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Every time I see this thread I think it’s a 2.8 v6 Granada!

Looks like some bus for £400!

I've to get it on the ramp this weekend and check underneath. Been doing a lot of miles on ***** back roads in the South the past month and think I've knackered something. Going great other than that though.