£80k MGB

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I read about this on the plane this morning. Serious money for what it is.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30632

frontline-developments-mg-abingdon-edition-images-via-fronline-developments_100482523_l.jpg

As with this and the E-Type and other recreations, what sort of people buy them? Surely you're average millionaire car enthusiast isn't going to want an MGB, never mind an £80k one?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I wouldn't say serious money, that would be fair for the amount of work gone into it. All new body cars with modern levels of body alignment, top quality leather and interior bits, a heavily reworked modern engine, totally reworked suspension and brakes and low production numbers, etc.

I actually quite like it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I wouldn't say serious money, that would be fair for the amount of work gone into it. All new body cars with modern levels of body alignment, top quality leather and interior bits, a heavily reworked modern engine, totally reworked suspension and brakes, etc.

I actually quite like it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree and so do I, but it's still £80k for an MGB. Dad had one and it was £8k!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I dont think that's mad money. Plenty people still buy MGB's to restore and keep on the road.

Im sure there are some MGB competition cars that are being built today that cost at least that.

If he won the lottery and the car was decent at diffing round a cone and easy to throw into 180 reverse flicks, @PeteMoore would be all over it :p

Cess

RMS Staff
Horses for courses. I can imagine if a late 50s/60s aged guy had money to burn and was looking to recapture his youth, but with all the trappings and finesse of a modern car, he'd love that.

Lots of low volume, bespoke engineering in that car too, which would drive the price up. Engine build alone!

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Don't get me wrong, I agree and so do I, but it's still £80k for an MGB. Dad had one and it was £8k!

I see were you're coming from but there is so little in common with an MGB, comparing them is actually a bit unfair! lol

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
yes it is serious money for an MGB

But it is a brand new car from front to back.

It is £80k for a brand new shell with a lot of extra fabrication, a good reliable albeit Mazda engine and box and decades of development.

They have spent countless thousands on tooling up for various items like coolant hoses, and bespoke parts. The door closing is nothing like an MGB, it is more akin to that of a Bentley, it pulls like sh*te off a well greased shovel, handles as good as many other modern cars in the same price range and its target clients are those who are sick and tired of seeing streets lined with Ferrari's, Astons, Bentleys, etc.

For what you are getting, it is not expensive. A bespoke car, specced exactly how you want it, with the fit and finish of 6 figure luxury cars with the snort and handling of 6 figure performance cars.

Dare I say it, but there is not one of us would turn our nose up at an Eagle E-Type, what makes this so different?

Alternatively there are many on here lust after and even purchase things like BMW's, Audi's, and a whole rake of other modern plastic drivel, all of which instantly depreciate once they leave the forecourt - these don't, and why, because they are low production, high quality, built to order cars with a 3 year waiting list at present.

The LE50 is simply beautiful in real life, photos will never do the car justice. The Abingdon Edition is where my pants start twitching though

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
yes it is serious money for an MGB

This is simply all I meant by my second sentence. I fully appreciate and understand the cost consists of the following and is justified when you look into it;

But it is a brand new car from front to back.
It is £80k for a brand new shell with a lot of extra fabrication, a good reliable albeit Mazda engine and box and decades of development.
They have spent countless thousands on tooling up for various items like coolant hoses, and bespoke parts. The door closing is nothing like an MGB, it is more akin to that of a Bentley, it pulls like sh*te off a well greased shovel, handles as good as many other modern cars in the same price range and its target clients are those who are sick and tired of seeing streets lined with Ferrari's, Astons, Bentleys, etc.
For what you are getting, it is not expensive. A bespoke car, specced exactly how you want it, with the fit and finish of 6 figure luxury cars with the snort and handling of 6 figure performance cars.

Dare I say it, but there is not one of us would turn our nose up at an Eagle E-Type, what makes this so different?

Personally, I hate E-Types :oops:.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Am with @PeteMoore on this.

£80k is a lot of dough, it could get you for example the best Ferrari 355, or an early Diablo or even a gaylordo. But this is a bespoke car and highly unique and will always be valuable.

On the other hand, there are guys who would finance or even buy a mass produced £50k souped up Audi A4 estate that haemorrhages value like nobody's business yet would find themselves at the centre of an RMS circle jerk with 5 million "likes". Horses for courses but By comparison that MGB is stupendous value and makes perect sense.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
This is simply all I meant by my second sentence. I fully appreciate and understand the cost consists of the following and is justified when you look into it;

Personally, I hate E-Types :oops:.

Have to agree with you, heaps.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So is the LE50 classed as a new vehicle, a rebuilt one ? or what ?
ie, surely if new, how does it meet all the silly legislation about driving over pedestrians, bumpers, crash structures etc

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
ie, surely if new, how does it meet all the silly legislation about driving over pedestrians, bumpers, crash structures etc

You ever driven a noble, atom, Bac Mono etc.... Id rather it went wrong in that MG than the others !

Its no different than a Singer Porsche really this, just a different market and cheaper

PeteMoore

RMS Regular

I am not sure, I believe they are the same as the Eagle cars, in which they are somehow retaining the original tax book ^o)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

I wander this about the landrover defenders.

Are they class as an agricultural vehicle so don't have to go through all that crap?

And is that why there being out out of production soon

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
By the sounds of things its a bit complicated but as far as I can tell they are brand new cars but are seen as a continuation of the old model line. There are no used parts on them, chassis and body are brand new but meet the old specifications.

Similar to how Morgan produce cars now I guess. You can retrofit all the changes to most of the older models easily.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.