£8k car suggestions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'm trying to help a friend find a suitable car to replace his 11 year old Ford Focus 1.8 petrol.

I have advised him to avoid diesel cars as he only does 10k miles a year anyway.

Budget is £8k, and it must be 5-door, white, as new as possible, medium sized and easy to insure as his 17 year old daughter will have to learn to drive in it.

This is the sort of thing I think he should buy. Fire up your suggestions too please :grinning:

http://www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Ford-Focus-ZETEC-141398048

141544769.400.jpg

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I was in the market for a new car at the end of January and had a 2006 focus prior to the new car search.

I ended up with another focus because there really wasnt anything else out there that was specced well, drove nice and was coming on at that kind of budget with sensible miles.

Well there was but it was astras, which look ok but drove rubbish in comparison to the ford IMO.

test drove a kia proceed (although 3door should be same as the 5 door id imagine) it was nippy but the road noise was terrible, maybe just that one but it was enough to put me off goinjg to look at others tbh.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Auris? 5 year warranty, reliable, can be had with decent spec.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Hit the nail on the head there I think, either that or the equivalent golf, though you would probably get better spec/mileage in the Focus for the money

Golf is too expensive for all you get, and he is not into cars enough to appreciate the difference between a Golf or a Focus etc.

Auris? 5 year warranty, reliable, can be had with decent spec.

Auris is another one I suggested, but they are sooooo boring looking.

I was in the market for a new car at the end of January and had a 2006 focus prior to the new car search.

I ended up with another focus because there really wasnt anything else out there that was specced well, drove nice and was coming on at that kind of budget with sensible miles.

Well there was but it was astras, which look ok but drove rubbish in comparison to the ford IMO.

test drove a kia proceed (although 3door should be same as the 5 door id imagine) it was nippy but the road noise was terrible, maybe just that one but it was enough to put me off goinjg to look at others tbh.

I think a nice Kia like that would be over budget.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Golf is too expensive for all you get, and he is not into cars enough to appreciate the difference between a Golf or a Focus etc.

Auris is another one I suggested, but they are sooooo boring looking.

I think a nice Kia like that would be over budget.

Agree RE: Auris but he seems like the person to whom a car is simply white goods.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Be hard to look past a focus at that budget, anything else a bit more upmarket will be a fair few K dearer at those miles/year
Honda civic would be within budget at that money but rare in white unless a Type R

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Lexus IS250 SE-L nothing else will come close spec wise, dunno about insurance for a learner/new driver though

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Does it need to be Focus sized? What about a Fiesta for learner driver?

Trust Ford in Coleraine has a new white pre-reg Fiesta Edge 1.3 for £8,450 Edit: It's 3 door :worried:

A better spec'd 2012 Fiesta Titanium could be lifted within budget though.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Question is whether a Dacia will survive 11 years of use though lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.