1.8T 20V Powered Mk2 Capri Xpack (RWD)

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT
Just a thread to document my new project, an Xpack Mk2 with a 20VT in RWD form.

1977 Mk2 Capri, off the road since 1991, with 97k miles. Plenty of rust, and a foreign engine choice for both the car, and me as I’ve never worked with VAG powered swaps.

Anyone out there done a RWD swap on a 20VT? Planning to use the RX8 box, adaptor plate, and build a hybrid engine using the BAM, and parts from another longditudinal A4 setup.

Unsure how often this will be updated, but I know on here is a wealth of information so I may call upon that when I’m trying to work VAG engine bits out for the first time 😂

Full build is over on YouTube, and I’m more active on socials.

Socials - krisdupreysgarage

Pics below, I think 😂

IMG_0798.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

Ace_vaux

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang
Been following the YouTube channel since you started all the projects Kris. Some good content as expected.
Good luck in the new build.
Also get that transit sorted 🤣🤣

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
OP
Kris Duprey
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT
right up my street love these builds

you sure the rx8 box is up to it ??
Only one way to find out, it’s a bolt on adaptor plate kit so I can only assume someone else has tried it 😂
Been following the YouTube channel since you started all the projects Kris. Some good content as expected.
Good luck in the new build.
Also get that transit sorted 🤣🤣
Thanks! I’ll need every bit of luck I can get lol. And the transit… I debated doing it instead of this… but looked at it and got depressed and left it where it was sitting 😂

JH86

RMS Regular
Love it 💪 in fairness who wouldn't 🤣

20vt rwd is straight forward if using a bmw box, i say that from experience, but I've never seen one using an rx8 box, Is it a thing? As they are alot nicer when it comes to gear ratio and the smoother gear selection for sure,

Keep the updates coming

I've a front facing inlet lying here if you want it too 👍

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
OP
Kris Duprey
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT
What BMW box did you use/see fitted? I have an E46 323i I could break up for bits if needed 😂. Yea, there’s an adaptor plate already on the market, and I’ve been chatting to a lad who’s actually done it on a mk1 Scirocco in RWD form, so I know it can be done. If BMW works out handier/cheaper I’d consider it though, as I’ve not bought any gearbox bits yet!

I may take you up on the inlet at some stage, I have a full A4 engine setup coming which has all the forward facing stuff on it hopefully.

Cheers!

JH86

RMS Regular
All the bmw boxes of that era all share the same gearbox flange up until the later stuff e9x e6x etc

The 323i is a getrag box, not ideal as such due to it being weaker than the ZF and it being the same effort/cost to use both boxes so it makes sense to just ignore the getrag

Adaptor , oem 18t flywheel , lt35 pressure plate and bmw clutch disc that suits the box you're using weather it's getrag or zf, as input shaft is 22splines on getrag and 10 on zf 👍

Biggest issue I'm having with my rwd 20vt is sump clearance, and if memory serves me the capri is similar having a steering rack/subframe in the same way the modern stuff does

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
All the bmw boxes of that era all share the same gearbox flange up until the later stuff e9x e6x etc

The 323i is a getrag box, not ideal as such due to it being weaker than the ZF and it being the same effort/cost to use both boxes so it makes sense to just ignore the getrag

Adaptor , oem 18t flywheel , lt35 pressure plate and bmw clutch disc that suits the box you're using weather it's getrag or zf, as input shaft is 22splines on getrag and 10 on zf 👍

Biggest issue I'm having with my rwd 20vt is sump clearance, and if memory serves me the capri is similar having a steering rack/subframe in the same way the modern stuff does

make a sump ?

JH86

RMS Regular
make a sump ?
Oil pump and and pickup pipe is under neath no1 cylinder sham and its submerged, yea a sump can be made with in reason, steering rack location plays a big part, if its rear mounted rack your laughing, front mounted rack its not ideal as you'd understand 🤣

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
Oil pump and and pickup pipe is under neath no1 cylinder sham and its submerged, yea a sump can be made with in reason, steering rack location plays a big part, if its rear mounted rack your laughing, front mounted rack its not ideal as you'd understand 🤣

if any one understands it’s me 😂

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
OP
Kris Duprey
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT

I’ll definitely take a look at the BMW route, the RX8 stuff seems cheaper after an initial look, but not ruling it out. What car are you fitting yours into? The crossmember on mine is going to be a pain in the arse, I can tell already 😂

I may get the crossmember bolted in and see how much I need to chop out then 😂🤦‍♂️
Tried to add a YouTube link but the forum didn’t like it, the channel is called “Kris Dupreys Garage” and there’s a playlist of stuff on the car over there.

I did a full build of this one a few years ago, sold it last year to fund the workshop!

DSC00422.jpeg

JH86

RMS Regular
Bmw box is bullet proof ish in fairness, at first I thought the rx8 boxes will eventually be come extinct in a short period of time leaving it hard to get a replacement, then I realised every man woman and child is using a bmw box and they now have a premium/ harder to get so it's swings and round abouts really 🤣

My rwd 18t is in (going in eventually is more truthfull) to my Ae86

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
I'm near sure the RX8 box is the same as the MX5 NC and they tend to go bang when you feed them more than 300lb/ft, on the six speed at least.

or bang the clutch out really hard even on a standard rx8 i bust about 5 off them 😂

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
OP
Kris Duprey
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT
This is sounding like I made the right choice to post up on here before buying RX8 bits 😂😂

Does anyone know if the ZF 5/6 speed boxes the same bar the extra cog, or is one stronger than the other?

Gonna look at this route instead I think lol

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
depends on the budget mate

a good is200 box or mx5 would be my choice but a because off the popularity off the is200 now the gearbox prices are well up

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I'm near sure the RX8 box is the same as the MX5 NC and they tend to go bang when you feed them more than 300lb/ft, on the six speed at least.

If that's the 6 speed box (probably the same used in the NB) then yes there is a weak spot. 3rd or 4th gear if I remember correctly. There is a way to strengthen it to hold considerably more torque but involves rebuilding the box.

Kris Duprey

RMS Regular
OP
Kris Duprey
Drives
Capri 2.9 TT
Still not made my mind up on boxes, but have made a start on the welding and have the car fully stripped down to a bare shell now too. First up is the strut top area, a real common area on Capri’s. There was a plate over the top of it all, which was literally welded over the top of the existing rust 😂🤦‍♂️.

Unpicked it all, started from the bottom strut tower and worked my way out.

IMG_1181.jpeg
IMG_1191.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1211.jpeg

Trimmed the inside of the strut top after all the welding was done, coat of epoxy primer and it’ll hopefully last another 40 years!

The other strut top is next, shall attack it later with a fit of bad temper and update on here accordingly!

Kris