Manta 400 replica

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
So my dad took the head staggers again and bought another Manta. He thought that it would look well alongside his Ascona 400 rep.

Started off as a 1982 small bumper model Manta as these seem to have stood the test of time better than the later models. Only metalwork its had is replacing the front grill from the earlier 2 slot to the later 4 slot. Apart from that it was as straightforward as fitting a 400 kit can be. Biggest problem was cleaning up the mess the last person that painted it made, as it was resprayed to help sell it. Think the paint was threw on and brushed in with a yard brush!!

Anyway a few pics of how it sits now:

410903493.jpg

410903492.jpg

410903491.jpg

410903490.jpg

410903489.jpg

410903488.jpg

410903486.jpg

410903485.jpg

410903484.jpg

410903483.jpg

410903482.jpg

And its companions in the garage
410903487.jpg

410903494.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Looks great. Is it still 4 stud?

Was standing looking at a genuine 400 yesterday, along with an E30 M3, a couple of proper Quattro's, a freshly built MK2 and probably 1 of the lowest mileage M3 CSL's in the country. The E30 and 400 would have been my choice of the lot, due to their awesome presence and proper 80's styling...

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything

Was standing looking at a genuine 400 yesterday, along with an E30 M3, a couple of proper Quattro's, a freshly built MK2 and probably 1 of the lowest mileage M3 CSL's in the country. The E30 and 400 would have been my choice of the lot, due to their awesome presence and proper 80's styling...

Take it you were trying to buy a chicken or 2?!!

Still 4 stud for now, biggest problem is getting the genuine rims! Debating a set I 17" Comp MO's to be a bit different from the usual 5 spoke Revolutions.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Take it you were trying to buy a chicken or 2?!!

Still 4 stud for now, biggest problem is getting the genuine rims! Debating a set I 17" Comp MO's to be a bit different from the usual 5 spoke Revolutions.

Don't you know it ;)

The MO's would be a really nice alternative, but the lip on the Revolutions and their old image suits the styling of these so well.

Is it a case of don't fix what's not broken when it comes to rims?

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Don't you know it ;)

The MO's would be a really nice alternative, but the lip on the Revolutions and their old image suits the styling of these so well.

Is it a case of don't fix what's not broken when it comes to rims?

Yeah, its hard to find anything that suits them any better than the Revolutions, don't want to be fitting something just for the sake of being different!

drumbreda

RMS Member
sweet mate a mate of mine build a manta 400 rep with a sr20 motor a few years ago a lot of work goes into these.

Reactions: AMG

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
sweet mate a mate of mine build a manta 400 rep with a sr20 motor a few years ago a lot of work goes into these.

Know the car alright, lot of work went into it under the skin, tidy conversion!

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Would love a Chevette, but paying for one when you find one isn't easy!!

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Look forward to seeing this finished, my dad used to talk about mantas all the time. And I have to say they are another favorite of mine also.

Cess

RMS Staff
Keep the build pictures coming. How are the wide arches built up? Any joy with the 2.4 yet?

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Most people cut out the standard arches and weld in a new arch. What we done was turn the original arch outwards, and then welded to it, meant the strength was kept in the panel.

No joy with the 2.4, not in any great panic for it, as it will more likely need rebuilt before it is fitted.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Would love a Chevette, but paying for one when you find one isn't easy!!

@amg306
I have found the ultimate car for your collection :grinning:
Check out Autotrader - Chevette:
1982, DTV Works CHEVETTE HSR Rally Winner - Russell Brookes - XEG 550X, I am delighted to offer this rare Vauxhall Chevette HSR DTV works Rally car, XEG 550X, driven by Russell Brookes who "considered it to be one of the finest handling rally cars I've driven"!, , XEG 550X was last of the DTV HSR's to be built with lightweight GRP bonnet, boot-lid, wide wings & sill extensions - gaining a nickname of the "Plastic Fantastic!" , Supplied with correct 2.3 Engine, matching Roll-cage & chassis numbers, an extremely important part of Rallying history & offered for sale for the first time since 1988. Offered with an extensive works spares package, view weblink to view full list!, , In 1982 Brookes & his "Andrews - Heat for Hire" partnership, with it's distinctive yellow & white livery, was given the first drive of XEG 550X with initial success. In 1983 with new GroupB, there were many great podium finishes but crowning glory came at the Circuit of Ireland Rally where Brookes had vast experience. Recording fastest car on Sunday & over 3 minutes lead at the chequered flag, Brookes finished a superb unwavering drive to take the coveted top podium., Brookes ended the 1983 Rothmans-RAC Series a truly admirable 2nd place overall in XEG 550X., , 1984-88, XEG 550X continued successes only just missing out on winning 1988's Irish National Rally series, before retiring in 1989. With only 2 owners since the works team, the car was put into storage until 1999 when it was recently fully restored by the current owner who has kept XEG 550X in superb condition., £139,950

media.jpg

Jethro

RMS Regular
I cant say much more, you know my thoughts on the Ascona and Manta already, looking forward to seeing the progress with this one too though.
I still have a strange stirring in my loins for another Manta.

brizer123

RMS Regular

The E30 M3 wasn't for sale per chance - still looking for one myself...

Cheers