Nissan Leaf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
[Read the Article Here]

So....the electric car. How would it stack up financially and slot into every day life. A question not many on here have probably asked including myself, until Nissan contacted me with the offer of a 4 day test drive foc. Thought why not, got to be interesting if nothing else.

The car itself, surprisingly good. Full leather, heated front AND rear, Bose sound, nav etc etc. very tec.
To drive is strange. Any one who's ever driven a golf buggy will get it, smooth take off, no gears just seemless. Quicker than I thought, pulled a higher speed up the big hill outside work with 4 of our mechanics in it than most rep mobiles would have. Steers and stops well, not sporty just very competent. Anyone who I've taken out has been very surprised.

Range, the big question. I was pushing on more than the average leaf driver, book says 124 miles, I found 90 to be realistic. I'm sure I could eek out more, but would be boring.
The 2014 on models have a different type of heating and power system that means it doesn't suck power from the battery, in the early ones apparently the heater etc sucked a lot in the winter.
It takes 3ish hours to charge at home, costing £1.80 or so, or free from a public station, which takes the same time. I found Belfast good as you automatically got the best spaces in town free. There's also 15 rapid charge stations dotted about which gives a full charge from empty in under 30 minutes.
For bigger journeys....take another car lol. But if you had to it could easily be done with a small bit of planning.

Cost. With a bit of leg work and if your prepared to travel you can find one for £150 per month over 24 with 1 payment down. There was £99 deals but they're off at the minute apparently, internet rumours state they may be back at the end of the quarter. So basically if you use over £50 per week on fuel it is worth looking at.

Overall I was a lot more taken with it Thani thought. Very relaxing and surprisingly fast to drive, and there was something very satisfying about knowing you were not using any petrol. I only live 6 miles from work, and have other cars, so for me it could work. Will I? Can't answer yet, but if the £99 deals come back I'd be tempted, and not for 'green' reasons, because it would make financial sense and because as a motoring enthusiast it is a completely new experience.

Let the abuse begin.

5ouohi.jpg

ogidzp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
A friend of mine has an i3 and swears by it. Also you pay next to nothing on your P11D and insurance. He says it's nearly a free car to run.

Not for me personally tho.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've not driven this one but I have tried the Renault Kangoo van and the Vauxhall Ampera. I was quite impressed although the Vauxhall does have an engine to help with charging so you never run out of power, unless you run out of petrol too. Managed to spin the wheels in the dry with Renault van!

Problem is, if you start praising your car too much, you're going to lose your special space in the car park.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Pass one every morning going to work, always assumed the bonnet lifted to charge it as its constantly sitting on the latch lol

Prius not an option? Would increase the range dramatically

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
We had one out for a week as well a while back. Hilly roads around home really killed the range, so wouldn't have been a lot of use for us.
As you say, I was pleasantly surprised by the drive of it, and how well it went.
Almost knocked someone down at a filling station when taking off because it was so quiet!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
They make good sense financially, plus being more simplistic than ICE vehicles, are far more reliable. They make good sense for those who drive less than the vehicle's range every day, which, let's face it, is most people.

I was involved in the early design of the forthcoming electric Land Rover (2018-ish release) and got a good understanding into how much less of a hammering the wallet gets by choosing electric.

I'll stick to a small-block turbo for now though til battery technology improves as I regularly take 150+ mile journeys and don't want to stop off for a nap on the way.

KevM

RMS Regular
For someone that does the same journey regularly and that can forward plan, they are a no brainier. I have driven thousands of miles in them on and off now, and actually do enjoy driving them! It's like a miniature Lexus LS430 for comfort, refinement and lack of noise!

If you are a 2 car household & can jump into a 'fuel' car if heading out for a spontaneous trip somewhere, then why wouldn't you?

Use the money you save to buy solar panels & it's win win all round!!

wes

RMS Regular
Asked the wife to look at 1 as 2nd car as we got a free charger with solar system she wouldn't entertain the idea lol

MarkM

RMS Regular
What deals are nissan doing at the minute on them ?

£500 down and from £159/month on lease dependant on mileage, I think that was for 6k/year, As said, they're quite nice to drive, ugly as sin though, but do make sense for some people.

vwsully

RMS Regular
Drives
jdm camry, w140
That's food for thought. Reason I never liked the idea of a lease fir a daily was spending £200+ on car plus another £200 on fuel. This (in theory) would nearly be a way of getting a (nice?) new daily without massive costs to us mere mortals! I do 60 miles a day but 50 odd of them is motorway.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Have spoke to the wife a few times about one of these as we are thinking of changing her Leon soon. Would be interested @ £99pm

Wonder how it would work on a trade in with a value of £6/7k

MarkM

RMS Regular
That's food for thought. Reason I never liked the idea of a lease fir a daily was spending £200+ on car plus another £200 on fuel. This (in theory) would nearly be a way of getting a (nice?) new daily without massive costs to us mere mortals! I do 60 miles a day but 50 odd of them is motorway.

They actually have less range with motorway driving, they regenerate the batteries on slow down/braking (not the base model) so actually better with town driving! That said, they'll do 80-90 miles even if you drive it hard, 100 if you drive like a nun. 20 mins on a free fast charge station gets then to 80%

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I've always wondered how the plug is secured into the charging point? Is there anything to stop someone walking past and unplugging it so you arrive back to uncharged batteries?

Also how does the charging points work? Do you get a code or special key, or is it just lift it and plug it in?

Just curious really.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I've always wondered how the plug is secured into the charging point? Is there anything to stop someone walking past and unplugging it so you arrive back to uncharged batteries?

Also how does the charging points work? Do you get a code or special key, or is it just lift it and plug it in?

Just curious really.

It's magnetically locked to the car, you need the key on you then it just lifts off. Points are free until 2017 so no codes afaik

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Interesting, didn't realise the leases were so cheap. They certainly can't be making much if anything on then anyway.

If I were in the market for a lease and was mainly doing urban miles that would certainly be worth considering. Might be a different story in a few years when the subsidises are wound back.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
I got one overnight to test drive when they first came out, it turned some heads as so darn ugly. I enjoyed driving it though was never going to win any awards with my heavy right foot which caused the range to drop pretty drastically:scream:.

We have a leaf and an Ampera in work and based on looks the Ampera gets my vote. The two guys that have them both got the fast charge points installed at their houses which is pretty handy.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Have to say, Simon took me for a quick spin in this today.

I was impressed with the ride comfort and the quality or the interior.
On the road the car is disconcertingly quiet but surprisingly sharp to accelerate given what it is,

It would be hard to move from a traditional fuel powered car but at the same time this car would make financial sense for anyone with regular short journeys. Overall I was impressed!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Its the way to go for a DD. Friend has a Twizzy and absolutely loves it. Its has already saved him thousands in fuel and wear & tear on his other cars.

Ironically county Fermanagh has more mobile charging stations than any other county in Northern Ireland. Last time I checked we had not got one hybrid electric car registered in the entire county lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Renault Zoe is a nicer looking machine though I have my reservations about Renaults ability to make it semi-reliable lol

I live in the city and do about 7 miles or so a day and would still have reservations about an electric car, biggest being that for the sake of a couple of quid a day I can run something with 200+ bhp.

Different if I was travelling a decent distance but then range plays into it.

I often look and come back to the same conclusion - Maybe in a few more years...

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Was talking to a guy a while ago who got one as a courtesy car from Charles Hurst in Ards. He went out one day for a drive in it and as he left Portaferry it said he had 54 miles of range left. It ground to a halt 21 miles later on the Ards/Comber dual carriageway which is where he left it and called Charles Hurst to come and pick it up. Told them he wanted a proper car next time. Swears he'll never have another about him.

pinto200

RMS Regular
interesting alternative for pure white goods commuting. although only on a lease, there's too many variables around batteries and obsolescence to buy outright imo. good headline savings to be had although I'm not sure how it would stack up doing 20k a year.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Was talking to a guy a while ago who got one as a courtesy car from Charles Hurst in Ards. He went out one day for a drive in it and as he left Portaferry it said he had 54 miles of range left. It ground to a halt 21 miles later on the Ards/Comber dual carriageway which is where he left it and called Charles Hurst to come and pick it up. Told them he wanted a proper car next time. Swears he'll never have another about him.

I'd be interested in how it ground to halt. They are a reliable car and don't just run out of charge without warning, from my experience driving them there's at least 4 different lights accompanied with noises that let you know you're getting low on range. Even when the light comes on to tell you you're getting low, you've at least 10-15 miles left, so unless he was pinning it everywhere it doesn't stack up for me. However, at least he was interested enough in driving one. Many people freak out when we offer them as courtesy cars lol.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Eddie_ he was trying to get it home to Comber. Was a Sunday afternoon and CH were closed, I'd say it was beeping and flashing lights at him but he kept on driving in the hope he reached his house. Not like you can just pull into a filling station when running low on go juice.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.