Nissan Leaf

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
you are ignoring the pollution in cities though. Electric cars wont pollute the air around them like diesels etc. Yes you move the power generation back up the chain but the effect of the ground for a lot of people would be greatly beneficial.

With more investment in nuclear power the fossil fuel argument goes too. One step at a time, you arent going to get a magic bullet in one generation.

This is true, but most of the city pollution issues in recent years have been due to diesel rather than petrol cars / vans etc. So, the cities would be a lot cleaner and more healthy places to live in and move around in, does the hazardous battery waste get buried in the country?

Nuclear Fission will never be properly safe and the waste implications are frankly seriously scary. All the major failures result in areas that are exclusion zones for a few hundred years.
In a country such as ours, grid electricity should be more dependent on wind, tidal and solar imo. Denmark in particular has made good inroads into being fossil fuel independent. I'm actually a big supporter of reducing overall consumption by genuine micro generation of energy.

I agree with the economic benefits of EV's like the leaf but I don't agree that they are any more environmentally friendly than a petrol car. Maybe in cities they give better air quality but the net effect is deferred elsewhere. I know it'll come together better and the technology will move towards EV's that have less overall effect but the current crop are not really a step forward. Small steps indeed.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.