Drifting: James Deane smokes them all in Formula D

RevT

RMS Regular
I watched it lastnight and by jeez he done well. A few others seemed to be brakechecking while doing their lead runs making it more difficult for him but I think the judges picked up well on that.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Well deserved win. Was so consistent on his lead runs and was right up on doors during chase runs - typical James Deane just. Be interesting to see how he does over the season on tracks he hasn't driven before.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Tried to stay awake to see the last few runs but fell asleep. Watched it Sunday morning and it was a great drive from him.

The FD livestream and commentary doesn't seem as exciting as the IDC one though.

It still baffles me how the drivers know when to transition as the chase car through all that tyre smoke. Serious skills.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great to see him on the podium. I was competing against him back in the Rosegreen days and even then you knew there was an extraordinary level of raw talent there.

Its absolutely fantastic to see Irish drivers making waves stateside and long may it continue!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Good to see James doing his thing and winning. I first saw him at Tullyronan in his old RX7 and he just sat on the walls the whole way round no one could come close to him and the pressure he put on other driver`s while chasing was immense he just sat on the passenger door.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
I watched the FD with a few drinks on Sat night and it was a well deserved win! We go to most of the IDC events and I also agree that the commentary and atmosphere seems better at Mondello that it was at long beach on Sat

The raw talent James has is more than most of the guys on the grid in FD and I can see him winning the 2017 season

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Brilliant for James, he's come a long way from a young kid in Rosegreen days, but was obvious even back then his talent. He's a natural and a cool head, essential in those battles. Great for the sport and country, he'll be right up there at the end of the Season, a different class

zafturbo

RMS Regular
What Is the rules to this .Is it just to see how close you can stay to the car in front or have you to try and get past him .sorry for stupit question but it's only easy if you know the answer lol.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
What Is the rules to this .Is it just to see how close you can stay to the car in front or have you to try and get past him .sorry for stupit question but it's only easy if you know the answer lol.

Theres a bit more to it than that, the following driver still has to take correct lines and maintain angle etc. But essentially you do just have to stay as close as possible without interupting the other driver. If you pass then i think its an automatic zero for the driver who was leading on the run?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Is there lines on the track to stay outside or whatever or do you just fill the track sideways .obviously a lot more technical than how I'm saying it .

RevT

RMS Regular
They use walls and 'clipping points' where they judge you on getting as close as possible without taking the wall with you basically. All to do with proximity to them points, transitioning between the points, smoothness and then keeping up with the lead car when you're doing a chase run.

RevT

RMS Regular
Anyways it's nuts and I could only ever dream of being able to do it.

The power those cars have is ridiculous. I love getting out a good day's drifting though, keeps you on the edge (especially when it's in a road car that is your pride and joy) and gives you a good day's fun.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
So he managed to do it in his first season back in America.

2017 Formula Drift champion last night.

22528496_362005010920046_1351262674888927009_n.jpg

Photo: Paddy McGrath

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Absolutely phenomenal and made better with the hard charging Piotr taking the top of the podium in a final farewell to Irwindale.

Having won Irish and European series' five times each, Deane, on his only full season in america he takes the win - an incredible achievement and not to be overlooked as it is the pinnacle series within the sport.

Proud to have seen him from a burgandy Sierra estate as a pup to where he is now, a real ambassador for the sport in the Emerald Isle and James never forgets his roots in clubman motorsport.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Dominated.. America really didn't know just what hit it.. Fair play to James.. Came a long way since Rose Green back in the day, great to see him taking the win, was never any doubt