1978 cb550 four cafe racer build bike finished

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stuarty7

RMS Regular
Drives
accord type s
My father in law has raced bikes and sidecars all his life and has got himself hooked with the street tracker/cafe look, We are currently building about to finish a 1979 yamaha xs500 he had laying in his yard for over 10 years, the plan for it was do it as cheap as we can but still nice and use it as a spare bike. ( i will post pics of this also) i finally bought this 1978 cb550 four around 3 months ago looked a good clean bike for its age plans are to make into a cafe racer. pics to fallow later today

bike is stock bar

dragstar handle bars
motad exhaust

so far the only problem we could fit with the bike is its not charging and it already had new regulator/rectifier but still it was not charging we then tested the system and found that the new r/r was not the correct one for the bike, bought a new one and the bikes was now charging but under load (headlight on) best we could get was 11.6 volts which not good so did more tests ad found the stator to be faulty so after a bit of searching on the internet it seemed i would have to get it rewond at around £100. Then by sure luck a friend of my father in laws said he has a cb 550 four in bits which is the only model with the same alternator and he gave me his for free. Best of all his was in great working order and fixed my chartering issue

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
bringing it home
IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

was told these wheels are pretty hard to get think these cma's
IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

wee side repeaters i got in ebay
IMG_3744.jpg

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Also the seat i set on the bike was for the xs500 i just set it on the cb to see how it looked

cb550 wiring diagram i got to help solve the charger issue
IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

parts parts and more parts
IMG_3747.jpg

first collection of parts removed rear end seat lock and hinger, brackets for chain guard.
IMG_3768.jpg

engine out
IMG_3781.jpg

must have just had a service
IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

frame completely stripped
IMG_3779.jpg

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Here is some of the plans off the top of my head

new fork oil and seals
carbs rebuilt/ if needed
new wheel bearing/ if needed
new headlight brackets
clip on handle bars
twin front disc conversion
custom seat and metal rear pod
custom exhaust end pipe
new rear shocks
no chain guard
new tyres
no rev gauge
customs housing for neutral light indicators headlight etc

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
I have also built my own shot blasting cabinet that can take up to a motorbike frame in size heres a few parts i have done for the father in law so far

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

after
IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

after
IMG_3360.jpg

xs500 engine
IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

after
IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

far from perfect but good enough to then be painted black

IMG_3508.png

after
IMG_3510.png

IMG_3495.jpg

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
yea built a cabinet got grit and glass beam, sealey blasting pot with water trap and larger compressor it will pay for itself with the amount of parts i will be blasting, plus if anyone is looking anything done let me know

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
oooo that looks amazing is it over here?? and yea sticking with the 550 for a good while at least as this will be my first bike to get started on

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Very nice lew I would like to do a few bikes into the cafe style I love the look and you don't have to spend 1000s if u don't want to

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Looks like a class project, and as said above get some pics of your blasting set-up! Would like something similar in the garage :grinning:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
oooo that looks amazing is it over here??

Yeah, it's here and it's for sale on eBay for £6k...

I'd love to make a start on another chopper, but baby due next month and moving house this week means it will be a while before I can get round to it, so I'll make do with the Vitara for now.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this though as a bit of motivation and inspiration, so keep us updated as you go, step by step :laughing:

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Here is the shot blaster pictures this is not it complete it also has two sets of sealed blasting gloves, spot light, and an industrail vacuum.

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Here is the xs500 that should stand us just under £400 not including the bike itself but he had owned it since the early 90s. We did all the work bar the powder coating o the frame and swing arm

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

as said before this was done with a very low budget in mind but still getting everything it needed replaced

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Who are you going to get to do your seat? Or are you doing it yourself? The way it's finished can make or break a bike's finished appearance IMO.

stuarty7

RMS Regular
OP
stuarty7
Drives
accord type s
Not sure yet for my bike I plan to make a metal seat pan frame then foam and shape it and get it wrapped

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.