1979 Honda CB550 Café/Brat, Father & Son Build

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Well after being inspired by a few builds and thinking jesus we could do that sure! We have ended up with a 1979 CB550.

Fancied doing this as I used to Race karts professionally and my Dad helped Fund and Spanner and support my Karting career. We stopped around 5 years ago and both miss something to tinker at so that's why this came along!

When it's finished i will give it to him I think as a thanks for all he has done for me.

They are becoming quite rare now and I was going to buy a fully built and running bike to chop but funds weren't around and I didn't want to pile a load of money into something we maybe couldn't finish or start lol.

So ended up with this lot!
uploadfromtaptalk1441308548639.jpg

The two good parts...
uploadfromtaptalk1441308603603.jpg

Only got it home on Tuesday night there so have a lot of sorting and cleaning to do for a start to figure what can be used and what is to go into the round file.

The majority of it we will do ourselves with a limited budget and will see where we get over the next while. No deadline so not panicking about finishing yet! Lol.

Last edited:

stuarty7

RMS Regular
Drives
accord type s
Looks a perfect base for your plans. Frame and tank look pretty fresh from what I can see. The complete clutch is there just all taken apart and i might have some of the charging parts you need. Post some pics of the sort of look your planning, see if I have anything to suit or at least help you locate it.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Looks a perfect base for your plans. Frame and tank look pretty fresh from what I can see. The complete clutch is there just all taken apart and i might have some of the charging parts you need. Post some pics of the sort of look your planning, see if I have anything to suit or at least help you locate it.

Hi Stuarty!

That would be handy ;)

Yea clutch etc is there but not sure how good the clutch plates are, I definitely need the springs.
I need a Alternator as mine is Rusty lol and a new electronic ignition as it too is crusty! lol

I post pics later of what I'm planning to do but need a rear up-swept hoop for starters and going for Brat bars I Think as iv'e a bad back and my Dad ain't getting any younger lol!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Did you buy that off gumtree?

There was basically a pile of parts up,I had contacted the guy but he could tell me next to nothing about the condition of the engine and gearbox that I never bothered.

I'm still on the look out

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Did you buy that off gumtree?

There was basically a pile of parts up,I had contacted the guy but he could tell me next to nothing about the condition of the engine and gearbox that I never bothered.

I'm still on the look out
Yea this is probably it, Lurgan direction?

Engine turns over by hand so not seized and gearbox has had an overhaul by the looks of it, just need few bits but fine for the money I paid ;)

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Yeah I think so.

Did you talk him down any?
Yea fair bit tbh, went to look at it and had a chat with him and agreed on a price. I was very happy with it anyway lol. Tank and Frame is worth it for what I paid ;)

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Bugger, lol. Nice one though.

I think I'm settling on a 750, but I'm willing to wait for the right thing.

Gumtree trawling shall continue

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Bugger, lol. Nice one though.

I think I'm settling on a 750, but I'm willing to wait for the right thing.

Gumtree trawling shall continue
I nearly bought a completed 750 last year off a good mate of mine but thought there was no point lol wanted a project!

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'm trying to persuade my dad to use one of his bikes he has lying around lol. Are there any models which 'brat' better? The one he's not using is a Honda CB400 Super Four off the top of my head.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Rust treated a few parts and wiped them down tonight there. All parts will be soda blasted or shot blasted as well.

So stupid not to take before pics but these were really bad :worried:

Very happy with the way they came out so far!
uploadfromtaptalk1441746553141.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441746589315.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441746609599.jpg

Half and half
uploadfromtaptalk1441746628623.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441746645686.jpg

Going to replace these anyway but thought I'd try one to see the difference lol.
uploadfromtaptalk1441746697052.jpg

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
What stuff you using for the rust looks good I just bought a bmw r80 to be the next project

lol! Don't laugh or disown me guys :worried: White Vinegar bath! lol it works very well, leave parts submerged for two days take out spray with WD40 and wipe!

I thought id try it as a good friend of mine swears by it and it seams to work atm, might look into another method though if someone else can suggest a good rust remover and not converter?

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
uploadfromtaptalk1442681215916.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442681229250.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442681237896.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442681244472.jpg

Been busy making this over the last few nights home built shot blast cabinet. Not pretty but does the job so far lol!
Need to get a sandblasting pot instead of a cheapo lidl job tho.

More updates shortly!

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
These came today, Marzocchi AG Strada. Rare shock and I love em! Like the old retro look to them.
Obviously need blasted and repainted. Will rebuild them while I'm at it too.

Just gonna gather up a few parts over next while and start to built it up then get all painted etc.

Will be a slow burner sorry lol but aim all being well built for May. This year coming or the following that will be decided in due course lol!

Attachments

• 20151005_192229.jpg
    20151005_192229.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 286
Reactions: dub

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
lol! Don't laugh or disown me guys :worried: White Vinegar bath! lol it works very well, leave parts submerged for two days take out spray with WD40 and wipe!

I thought id try it as a good friend of mine swears by it and it seams to work atm, might look into another method though if someone else can suggest a good rust remover and not converter?

Don't try and do a carb this way, it was never the same afterwards. I ruined a good RD125LC YPVS carb.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Don't try and do a carb this way, it was never the same afterwards. I ruined a good RD125LC YPVS carb.

I won't thanks though. Carb's are going to be Soda and Ultrasonically cleaned I think.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Wish I'd have got it sodablasted. I stupidly listened to someone online and threw it in a vinegar bath with a few other bits and pieces.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Wish I'd have got it sodablasted. I stupidly listened to someone online and threw it in a vinegar bath with a few other bits and pieces.

It's good for non moving parts tbh but not for stuff like that.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
In coming!

Should be here on Monday.

Going to text fit everything all first and then strip down and clean/replace etc

Need to get a bench sorted but having bother finding old worktops lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-22-19-58-52-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-22-19-58-52-1.png
    412.2 KB · Views: 271

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
OP
S2K-Aaron
Drives
Daily Hack
Looking forward to see how this turns out....good luck with it.

Thanks Jordy! It will be a slow burner as other things are taking priority but will get there hopefully for the summer next year ;)