1982 Land Rover Lightweight Project

Dave..

RMS Regular
I will update this thread to keep a record of the restoration.

22.jpg
33.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Excellent, had a 2.25 S3 Lightweight when i was 16, whats the plans for her? full resto?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
For now it will be to get it going and see what parts I need. Then full resto.

I have just found out that this Lightweight saw service in the Falklands in 1982.

Excellent, I love the look of them but Driving one is a Unique Experience!! :laughing:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Be so hard not being able to pick it out in photos with no reg, cool though.

Have you tried asking chat gdp if it has anything on its identification number or whatever they used to differentiate between them? Likely bring up not alot but worth a try.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
Be so hard not being able to pick it out in photos with no reg, cool though.

Have you tried asking chat gdp if it has anything on its identification number or whatever they used to differentiate between them? Likely bring up not alot but worth a try.
Good idea. I have the military reg 16 KA 96
All military vehicles have a plate with the reg on it.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
So it was based in raf stanley and would then be sent out to other engagements im guessing?

Stick that reg into chat GPT and I think you’ll like what you read.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
So it was based in raf stanley and would then be sent out to other engagements im guessing?

Mmm,... not sure I am doing it right as it says:

In this context:

• "16 KA 96" is a registration number. British military vehicles often have unique registration numbers to identify them. These numbers typically follow a pattern where the first number might indicate the year or a batch, the letters identify the type or category of the vehicle, and the final number is a sequential identifier within that category or batch.
  • "Land Rover Lightweight" refers to a particular model of Land Rover that was designed to be air-portable, meaning it could be transported by air, often slung under helicopters or loaded into transport aircraft. This model was lighter than standard Land Rovers, with removable parts to reduce weight for air transport.
The Land Rover Lightweight (also known as the Series IIA and Series III Lightweight) was produced from the late 1960s to the 1980s. These vehicles were widely used for reconnaissance, transportation, and various other military roles due to their reliability, versatility, and ability to traverse difficult terrains.

The specific registration "16 KA 96" helps military personnel keep track of the vehicle's maintenance records, assignments, and other operational details.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..

It was used by the teams that checked the quality of the aviation fuel. I was told by a exmilitary guy it was a very important job.

Dave..

RMS Regular
OP
Dave..
The problem with a low garage door, took us 2 hours with crap tools to get the LR into the garage. I need a big shed.
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 16.54.27_43986d4b.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
This Lightweight was going to be restored but after some thought I am now going to build an off road truck.
So I will be changing direction and will keep updating on here.

Does that mean another project or a V8 and a Coiler chassis for the lightweight?

that was always the plans i had for mine!