1985 Porsche 944 2.5 Lux

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Did you get your heating problem sorted out? My temperature gauge has been up and down like a yoyo recently and air building up in the system v quickly.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Did you get your heating problem sorted out? My temperature gauge has been up and down like a yoyo recently and air building up in the system v quickly.

Had everything checked and all temps are OK. Replaced water pump, even got a new radiator put on, but the gauge still reads wrong. One of the sensors is obviously goosed, but the one at fault is NLA so I need to source a good used one from somewhere. Early cars like mine have a slightly different set up too which adds further complication in sourcing the correct parts.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Pulled out of storage on Sunday, battery charged at work on Monday, checked over for MOT yesterday and through with a clean bill of health and no advisories today. Seems nearly too good to be true! 😆

Filled with E5 Super Unleaded on the way home tonight.

Next year will be its last MOT, it’ll be 40 years old in 2025 so it’ll then be exempt from MOT.

36BDF59D-E4D8-4BF2-ABCB-1716800D7195.jpeg
FF8F83D8-CADE-446E-9D49-B5E4C7F049DC.jpeg
3B9721A9-7154-469D-9B2A-09F1A8CFADF2.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice one, enjoy it as much as you can.

Doesn't have to be the last MOT. I always plan to put the Datsun through as its possible they catch an issue you might have missed, certainly can't hurt imo.

111gsi

RMS Regular
Nice one, enjoy it as much as you can.

Doesn't have to be the last MOT. I always plan to put the Datsun through as its possible they catch an issue you might have missed, certainly can't hurt imo.
I agree, but won't be putting my classic through unless they stop the unattended testing. My car could be destroyed by incorrect jacking (Rover P6). Got dented sills years ago on another classic because I wasn't looking closely enough while they lifted it.

davyk31

RMS Regular
A once over with a trusted decent mechanic would be a lot better than the MOT guys poking around it if you want reassurance all is ok.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I suppose the visual check at the end is worthless, as are the light, horn, seatbelt checks etc. So I guess the only value is the brakes and suspension tests as they can test more than a visual inspection could reveal. Would hate to think of damage from incorrect jacking.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
I have owned this old girl for 6 years today, the longest I’ve ever owned a car.

Still need to get the back seats retrimmed, but it has been parked out the back of my house since MOT and the battery is now dead.

Having a 1 year old son means it never really gets used, if I’m ever lifting keys to anything other than the van it tends to be for the 911.

Hope to get a bit more use out if it during the better weather.

01424CDB-8131-4CA2-9568-111C2D2DF1DB.jpeg

Bryan

RMS Regular
I've taken a real notion for a 944 but it must be Gaurds red. I used to hate the look of them but now it's gone full circle and I think they are super cool.

Is there much room in the back of them?

Gman

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia and E39
That looks so good! There were a couple of 944s for sale when I was buying my Cayman. I wish I had went at least to have a look