2.0 TDi solid flywheel conversion any good.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Has anyone on here done a dual to solid flywheel conversion on a more modern VAG tdi engine. I kmow the old pd engine were dead on with them. I was planning on fitting a Valeo solid flywheel kit to my passat but my normal mechanic said not to as it will ruin the car. He won’t even fit them as the last 2 he did the people ended up selling the cars they were that bad.

I did Google it but the answers rage from it’ll be reet to my brothers sisterdas cousin fitted one and his crank is in 15 bits and his gearbox shat the bed.

Im doing between 20 to 30k miles a year with a lot of stop start driving I thought a solid flywheel would be better for that kind of driving.

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3
I had one fitted to a 1.9 PD years back and it was rattly on tickover, but no different to live with everyday.

Can I ask why you want to fit one with that sort of mileage a year? Surely a Dual Mass one would do your job better?

brendy7

RMS Regular
Iam fitting them all the time and have never had any problems chum and when it comes to the vag group the most of them have changed back to soild fly wheel again anyway so I don't see what the problem would be

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
Iam fitting them all the time and have never had any problems chum and when it comes to the vag group the most of them have changed back to soild fly wheel again anyway so I don't see what the problem would be
which models have changed back?

brendy7

RMS Regular
I know I've done some golfs and caddy's that have went back to solid flywheel I no there's other but can remember to be honest I do that many of them a week it's easy to forget maybe it's the 1.6tdi that's went back to solid can't remember but I've fitted lots of conversion as well and never had trouble and am near sure tps sell there own conversion kits now as well

brendy7

RMS Regular
IMG20220901084610.jpg

One of the other lads put a clutch in this yesterday just asked him there and its solid flywheel was factory so maybe it is just the 1.6 tdi that's went back

gary1365

RMS Regular
OP
gary1365
Drives
Great news
I had one fitted to a 1.9 PD years back and it was rattly on tickover, but no different to live with everyday.

Can I ask why you want to fit one with that sort of mileage a year? Surely a Dual Mass one would do your job better?
The biggest reason is cost and durability the dual mass is a couple of hundred quid more.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
1.6 TDI from mid 2011 onwards went back to solid flywheels across the range.

Solid`s are spot on and a lot better if a car is mapped as they can handle the Torque. I have sold hundreds over the years and never had any issue`s with them.