2012 VW Tiguan

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The standard RCD510 radio is truly terrible, so I knew from before collecting the car that it had to go. I was set on the DAB version of the RNS510, but they still command a massive premium and there isn’t really that much going for them. That lead me to looking at aftermarket stuff. I’ve never been a fan of CarPlay until I had a good experience on a hire car a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the Google map option, so by a process of elimination I was lead to the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB. I got a bit of a bargain from Halfords, then ordered the necessary wiring online which was waiting for me today when I got home. I set into the installation tonight, which bar a minor hiccup went smoothly. Will get a better play with it over the coming days, but first impressions are good.

before;

86B45BB9-19DF-4966-9C9A-EFF1B6087FBA.jpeg

during;

D52D9219-4F4A-4295-B42D-DAD47276D068.jpeg

after;

A5D7847F-AA72-46C8-8B10-144726EAE11A.jpeg

B1D2F8D3-C2B1-44E5-8FC5-1375679DD231.jpeg

aforementioned hiccup;

5A6439E6-A49A-41F4-9F1C-9A16B35E3691.jpeg

I’m hoping my new steering wheel arrives by the weekend then it’ll be the next job, followed by a towbar and getting the dash cam hard wired. With 2 new rear winter tyres somewhere in between.

Also took the plunge and purchased a VW warranty, so I’ll drive away at it with the bunny hopping for a while then get it booked in.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
New headunit looks great.

Would you sell the original / old one? Would be a nice upgrade for my Passat.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Not sure to be honest Todd, was deliberating about that when I removed it. Don’t know whether to keep it for resale time or just punt it now.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Not sure to be honest Todd, was deliberating about that when I removed it. Don’t know whether to keep it for resale time or just punt it now.

Understandably, i'm one for holding onto original parts for reselling. I've no idea what they're worth but if you do decide to sell and its cheapy cheap, give me a shout.

warren

RMS Photographer
My Leon FR DSG would have been what Id describe as jumpy after it was warmed up. When leaving from a complete stop or reversing usually, anything I read pointed towards the mech unit just being worn and needing a refurb. I never bothered though, you sort of got used to it! Completely useless information to you though I'm sure lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’m now thinking it feels like it’s dsg related. The bunny hopping is like that of a learner making a bad change in first, which is due to the clutch.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Would the VW warranty cover a fault that existed before the warranty was taken out?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I know Audi ones don't, but the VW warranty just states that no claims can be made within the first 30 days. I assume (hope) that is their way of avoiding people taking out a warranty to cover an existing fault.

warren

RMS Photographer
I’m now thinking it feels like it’s dsg related. The bunny hopping is like that of a learner making a bad change in first, which is due to the clutch.

Yeah thats exactly what mine was like. Usually it was fairly smooth until the car warmed up a bit. I had it serviced and adaptions reset more than once, no change. I very rarely had to stop on my commute in the car, so I never paid to look into it any more, but if you sit in a lot of traffic I imagine that it would be a total mare.

Just to add it was smooth as silk up and down through all the gears once you were actually moving, and never once actually let me down as such, just its clutch work on setting off left a lot to be desired lol

Last edited:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I know Audi ones don't, but the VW warranty just states that no claims can be made within the first 30 days. I assume (hope) that is their way of avoiding people taking out a warranty to cover an existing fault.

Could they possible look at the time stamps on the error codes if any are stored? Although suppose you could clear them and see if the code comes back.

Great job on the head unit the Pioneer stuff looks really well in the VW dash makes me wish could have a similar setup for my A6.

What caused the airbag light was it head unit related?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Does your A6 not have MMI High?

If you turn the ignition on with the airbag light plug disconnected it puts the light on. School boy error! I even said to myself to remember to reconnect it first before a test run, and I still forgot! Sadly my Carista subscription is over so can't reset it either, but not a major concern.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Does your A6 not have MMI High?

If you turn the ignition on with the airbag light plug disconnected it puts the light on. School boy error! I even said to myself to remember to reconnect it first before a test run, and I still forgot! Sadly my Carista subscription is over so can't reset it either, but not a major concern.

Nah just the standard one this its called 3G its the one without the touch pad, has bluetooth audio though so does the job for me although it does leave me quite limited with the modification options.

Do you not have a vag com setup?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Disappointed a man of your taste didn’t hold out for the touchpad version!

Nah, vagcom was always a bit over my head.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Before it goes into to be looked at clear all DTCs with VCds and you’ll be fine. I can do it if near hear but few have it, up your direction

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers. It was in to get the DSG oil changed and they scanned it at that time, no codes were present though.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
They’re a decent bus. The in-laws had one which provoked my wife to get one last week. She had it all 2 days before an Englishman in a hire car didn’t see a give way sign approaching the fast Windyhill Road & wiped her out. Lauren is still so impressed by the DSG Tiguan she’s got another one lined up even before the insurance has paid out!

Boring, but you’ve wee ones in the family a bit of quality goes a long way.

2B51EBD3-150C-4B07-87DD-A352F87E3B42.jpeg

633ACF1D-97C6-486C-9037-44ECA49BEC46.jpeg

485BB6EC-6DE2-4397-A17E-E55EB6C09CE6.jpeg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

My brother had an issue with his rear diff, I can’t recall the exact problem but it was @pobmk4 that fixed it. They had to send some electrical component from the Haldex control unit to a company in England to repair.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Qashqai/Kadjar all the same nonsense sure anyway, just in a different skin!

My Dad's Tiguan actually needed a new Haldex pump there Lyons in the rear diff!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Qashqai/Kadjar all the same nonsense sure anyway, just in a different skin!

My Dad's Tiguan actually needed a new Haldex pump there Lyons in the rear diff!

What were the symptoms?

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I hate ours. Gutless fecker of a thing had it three years now and its not terrible, but she likes it and thats all that matters I suppose.

I suppose i should map it, but its been pretty good for towing, albeit 6th gear is useless with a bit of weight on the back.
Also no Haldex in this one as we never seen the need for it.

Any issues with the ebrake letting off by itself? Ours has a couple of times.

1581007118153.png

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.