2019 Mazda MX5 ND2 30th Anniversary

chris9696

RMS Regular
Drives
Guilia QV
Now that my NC is sold my mind was now in full overdrive to find its replacement
This is a weekend/track car for me so not something I was in any rush to buy, but I was very aware the market on cars like this takes a noticable shift upwards around Spring time
So wanted to try and get something at a reasonable price here in February

Initially I was looking at DC5 Integras, Honda S2000s and toying with the idea of possibly another NC MX5 which I could supercharge or that had already been supercharged
The more Hondas I looked at and the more research I did it became clear to me that regardless of how tidy an example you buy, DC5s and S2000s are 20 year old cars in most cases.
So regardless of their previous owners, they will need a significant amount of TLC (read £££) to be even close to as good as they were from factory
I then began thinking along the lines of, what is the modern day equivelant to an S20000?
Granted these ND MX5s don't quite have the firecracker under the bonnet like an F20C but the ND2s are notably improved, and rev out to 7500.
These cars also weigh in at about 1050kg - what other modern rear wheel drive 2 seat car can stake that claim?
And for any engine upgrades this platform is pretty well established, BBR over in Brackley have a kit to take them a 'claimed' 220hp and raise the limiter to 8000 rpm
Rumour is they are also working on a supercharger kit which would take these cars to 300hp!

20240227_213623.jpg
20240227_213630.jpg
20240227_213646.jpg
20240227_213657.jpg
20240227_213703.jpg

I came across this car on a Sunday and just so happened to be over in England that week for work and was literally driving past the Village where the chap who was selling it lived - so the stars aligned and I did the deal then and there and went back a week later to collect

My initial impressions are very good, the car feels light and is very grippy - engine pulls a lot better than 180hp would suggest
The factory suspension (Bilstein dampers) and lowered springs do a decent job, only gripe is they feel a little unsettled to me even once up to speed
The Recaros, Rays Wheels and the brakes sold the car for me, and for a few grand more than a normal ND2 on the used market the 30th AE was a no-brainer for me - colour might not be to everyones taste mind but I do think it looks well in the flesh

Plans for the car initally are very simple, brake pads/lines/fluid and some Cup 2s and get it to the first track day I can
May go further from there but will get using it first

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That should be good fun! The colour is certainly different from the norm. Some PPF might not be a bad idea if you are going to track it and maybe a set of track wheels and tyres to keep the originals good, it all depends how precious you are about it.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Lovely! Haven’t seen an orange one in the flesh before. HTD 👌🏻
The standard ND1 is quite strangled, the ND2 seems to be a big improvement in the engine department over the ND1. The gearbox/clutch isn’t supposed to be much good over 250bhp so I would expect a fairly costly exercise supercharging it.

chris9696

RMS Regular
OP
C
Drives
Guilia QV
@saxo_man Seems to be so, you can swap the NC 6 speed gearbox into these with an adapter plate and then in turn change the diff - means you can shorten the gearing up as well, but would be a 7-8k bill I'd imagine when all said and done so pretty costly as you say

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That's class! Really like these, seen one in Bangor one day and colour, wheels and seats caught my eye! Was straight on to autotrader to see how much they were lol.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one 👍🏻