"3 Years to 40" Car plan

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
335D X-Drive Touring, remap, AC Schnitzer coilovers job done.

That'd probably be more the car I go for after this - v fast, extremely practical, good-looking and suitable for a any task..... but, its probably just shy of the 'sportiness' I'd be after this time round.

johnm

RMS Regular
lol, this is just a more expensive & longer time frame of Blackie's £500 thread. God knows how many idea's you'll go through over the next 1,576,800 minutes!
Or if you will actually last the 3 years in the Reno.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
That'd probably be more the car I go for after this - v fast, extremely practical, good-looking and suitable for a any task..... but, its probably just shy of the 'sportiness' I'd be after this time round.

you soon forgive it the lack of "sportiness" once your eaten the "sporty" cars alive and you are simply faded red dots in the distance over virtually every road surface and type in this country.

A diesel? Get out of this thread.

and with a nice set of Metro plates too

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
lol, this is just a more expensive & longer time frame of Blackie's £500 thread. God knows how many idea's you'll go through over the next 1,576,800 minutes!
Or if you will actually last the 3 years in the Reno.

Most people would question if a Renault would actually still exist in 3 years time, let alone be bored of it. I think that unless I set a goal now, then i'll end up changing again for something nice but not necessarily something to stand back and admire.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'll just leave this here.........
V8 Vantage.JPG

Use any spare change for AA Membership and get a good book for the Glovebox

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
335D X-Drive Touring, remap, AC Schnitzer coilovers job done.

I have been extensively looking at this Pete, lol. Saloon, not touring though. Can't convince her with a touring. The only thing i am unsure about is the estoril blue

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I have been extensively looking at this Pete, lol. Saloon, not touring though. Can't convince her with a touring. The only thing i am unsure about is the estoril blue

I genuinely cannot see the point in a saloon - especially given the estate version of most cars is so much more versatile and generally better looking.

I am still genuinely blown away by my mates X-Drive, even used as a recce car on rallies, it would have been quicker over some of the high speed stuff than the rally car was even geared to go to, plus it was being done in comfort, heated seats and steering wheel - what's not to like

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
That's nearly what I ordered then changed my mind at the last minute!

JonM

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Just get the petrol one and be done with it. Neither will set your world on fire though. I'd say C63 for raw power or if you need it to be good on juice and fast then something like Lappintyre's new C class that does over 130mpg. Although fair point about the blandness, it definitely doesn't have the special feel of an M3 or the like.

Last edited:

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Has to be the outgoing M3, much rarer car than the M4 (y)

As much as I like the e92 shape, I've kind of 'been-there etc' with my 335i, which apart from no fat arches had most of the M3 hardware underneath, as well as a near-identical interior. If I was after a car right now it'd be near the top, but not so sure in 2 1/2 years.

Just to do the hard part now - get the money together. Just set up an isa, or does anyone have any better ways to sort the saving up?
Mum just texted to say a letter arrived at their house for me, and according to my sister it looks like a cheque (how she can tell, I've no idea). Hoping its either a:
  • PPI scheme payout that I had no idea about
  • unknown rich relative has sadly passed, leaving me money
  • tax man has been overcharging me
  • Premium bond payout from one my parents bought me when I was a baby

Fingers crossed!!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
  • One of those fake cheques made out to Mr A. N. Other from a dodgy insurance company wanting to know if you've been in an accident in the last 5 years.
Readers Digest still going? Mind my gran used to get those cheques all the time.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Completely agree.

Just don't know if it would be special enough in this instance.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
I'm the same age as you, and by the sound of it similar thoughts. I happened accidentally to come across a very well priced 996 911 and couldn't walk away from it. The kids (5 and 3) love going in the wee rear seats and feels special to drive. To me these big hp saloon cars are all fine but when you are sitting down low, in a smallish car with an empty road ahead it definitely feels special. Older cars have so much more feel too than new ones. There's no traction control whatsoever on my 996!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.