309 GTi Mi-16 Rally Car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Quink

Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Does anybody know any thing about these cars?What bhp is in them, if they give trouble that sort of stuff.I know it's quick because it smoked a STi Scooby last Saturday in Coalisland.Any advice greatly appreciated.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Phil_D and P 5ARY on here have a 205 Mi-16 for track days, they'll be your best bet for info I would say. Mind you, I think they had some technical trouble with it at the weekend!!

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Woodcutter said:
Phil_D and P 5ARY on here have a 205 Mi-16 for track days, they'll be your best bet for info I would say. Mind you, I think they had some technical trouble with it at the weekend!!

Aye its bust :grinning:

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Not good to hear.Would they normally give trouble?What bhp are they?Are Mi-16's 1.9 or 2.0?

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Think they are 1.9 16v and produce 160ish bhp from standard?

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Someone told me they were 2litres.But they were drunk i suppose.Is there any other cars that would be the same or better than the 309 for about £3500 or a wee bit more?

p 5ary

RMS Regular
Quink said:
Someone told me they were 2litres.But they were drunk i suppose.Is there any other cars that would be the same or better than the 309 for about £3500 or a wee bit more?

i think there are 2 different types 1.9 and 2.0 . I think the 2.0 is too heavy or something

CapMan

Banned
Drives
Wait and see!
1.9 is the alloy block Mi16 and the 2.0 is the iron block, so makes the car nose-heavy. I've had both the 205 and 309 in Mi16 form and although they are good, whoever is selling one for £3500 is having a laugh unless it really is 'rally spec' as you can buy an build your own for half that money.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Phil_D said:
Yes if you don't baffle the sump on them......

I smashed the sump on my S3 the first day I got back to Ballymoney for Xmas, I hadn't even got back to my house yet!

On the back roads from Coleraine to Ballymoney I hit a jump about 30mph quicker than I should have......resulting in my car being out of action over the whole of Xmas until Agnews opened again......:oops:

Attachments

• Sump.JPG
    Sump.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 112

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Yeah but you get a spare Mi-16 engine and enough spares to build another car.Its serious quick but its very tail happy and the brakes are ****.Is there a better car that could be gotten for around the same price?

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Agnews do a great job and great service but they know f u c k all about putting clutches into A4 quattro's.We got ours back last year and you couldnt press the clutch it was that hard.Dont know what they did but Audi sorted it anyway.Are the S3's 1.8T?

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Theres only a 405 Mi-16 in the For Sale section.

What year is your S3 Woodcutter?Would you beat a New GTi Golf?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Quink said:
What year is your S3 Woodcutter?Would you beat a New GTi Golf?

It's a 2003, and yes it would beat a MkV GTI golf.....:p

New GTI is a lovely car though, and sounds pretty well too for a 4 pot, much better sounding than my S3. You should get it remapped mate, makes a standard one feel like it's got the brakes on! (y)

Quink

OP
Quink
Drives
Golf GTi MK5
Its chipped to 255 or something like that.Dad doesnt let me out in it that much after what happened the quattro.But s h i t happens i suppose.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Woodcutter said:
It's a 2003, and yes it would beat a MkV GTI golf.....:p

New GTI is a lovely car though, and sounds pretty well too for a 4 pot, much better sounding than my S3. You should get it remapped mate, makes a standard one feel like it's got the brakes on! (y)

I always thought the MkV was 5 cylinder, doh! :-#

pablo

RMS Moderator
the tail happiness is immense craic tho - proper sideways with a dose of opp steer is amazing fun :laughing:

Woodcutter said:

what about me? hostile takeover lads? Just remember the engine was fine after my laps :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
****ers can fix it themselves then ;)

paccers on a side note where is a good source for shells and other engine bits?

S_Gault

RMS Regular
be careful here.. you gotta get the coding right if you want the correct bearing clearance, and to be honest if its run the crank.. you need a regrind, a crack test and a set of rods coz they will be oval.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.