328 or supra??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crazy J.

RMS Regular
Hey, I drive an E36 318is at the min but am changin in august (when im 21). Dont know whether to go for a '98 328 is Sport or a '95 Supra TT. Anyone got any opinons?? Can get ins. on both for around £1600 (under mums name). And Wat r the running costs, mpg like for both?
Cheers ppl :laughing:

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
surely the 328 would look very similar to ur current car, if they both have the m-tec kits etc?

supra would be my choice, but then the cost of driving a 3.0 v6 twin turbo could sway that!

Gambit

RMS Regular
what about that problem with 328's around that time. something to do with the cheap fuel in the UK washing away the cylinder linings and needing replaced. will be done under warranty if the car has full BMW service history

Adam

RMS Regular
The BMW is a far nicer car to drive from what Ive been told by people who have owned both. The Supra however has more appeal though as its rarer and the tuning possiblities are endless.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Are we chatting Automatic Supra or the rare 6-spd manual? I'd take a manual Supra over the 328, but not the auto. And UK or jap too?

Gaz

Maxer

easy one, Supra every time.They are however in completley different classes.The Sup will generally cost more to run than the Bimmer but not by as much as you might think.If you can afford insurance on a TT Sup would you not be better looking at M3 EVO's or the like.Surely a better comparison to the Supra.

Maxer

Gaz said:
Are we chatting Automatic Supra or the rare 6-spd manual? I'd take a manual Supra over the 328, but not the auto. And UK or jap too?

Gaz

Ever drove an auto Supra,i mean properly in its Sport mode? One of the greatest gearboxes ever put in a car and that includes manuals.The auto box in the Supra can change gear quicker than most people manually.As far as i aware the auto box is supposed to be favoured by many Supra owners for drag-racing.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Maxer said:
Gaz said:

Gaz

Ever drove an auto Supra,i mean properly in its Sport mode? One of the greatest gearboxes ever put in a car and that includes manuals.The auto box in the Supra can change gear quicker than most people manually.As far as i aware the auto box is supposed to be favoured by many Supra owners for drag-racing.

Yes, it is favoured for drag-racing and the autobox can generally handle the torque of the high-powered Supras over the manuals. However, in stock form (or close to stock form) which I assume is the form Crazy J is buying it (seeing as insurance has to be considered), the manual seems to be the preferred option and anyone I've spoken to says its quicker. Also explains why the manual ones are so rare and command such a high premium over the auto. Driven in 'Sport' mode I'm sure its an impressive 'box, but my personal preference for driver involvement will always be the 6-speed.

Gaz

Maxer

thats a fair point mate.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion :laughing: .Cannot argue with someones personal preference.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
MK3 Lad said:
i hate auto box's!!

Lol they're not all bad. I like the more modern ones in the BMW models and as Maxer says, when you're talking about 600bhp+ drag racing Supras, they are nearly always auto because the manual box is just too cumbersome and can't handle the torque.

I was out for lunch on Mother's day with my folks and ended up chasing Dad up Altnagelvin Brae (heading into MC), I was in the M3 and he was in a Porsche 928 S4 with an autobox which he probably had in sports mode. Try as I might, I couldn't get near him and everytime I had to change gear he got a good half-car length on me. Auto-boxes are **** for small engines but when it comes to larger engines and large bhp figures, it really comes down to personal preference.

I do recall an auto-Fiesta on this forum which apparently beat vtecs :p

Gaz

Jason

RMS Regular
il agree that some of them are "ok" but i like to be in control more! last one i was in was the 530d sport tiptronic, b4 that a few large mercs, but it was **** even in sport mode, duno about jap stuff tho

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Gambit said:
what about that problem with 328's around that time. something to do with the cheap fuel in the UK washing away the cylinder linings and needing replaced. will be done under warranty if the car has full BMW service history

It was a problem with the Nikasil coating on the liners AFAIK. Alot of Beemers were affected, but most should have been fixed under warranty.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
wats the performance on these supra's standard? i'm very tempted for one myself..

wud prefer a uk manual apparently got better specs than the japs stuff? but a jap one wud suffice i reckon!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.