911 paintwork horror

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
After me posting my lovely clean car yesterday the paintwork has gone tits up! :scream:

Got it washed at my usual place and noticed about an hour later the back end had bubbled up in places!! 8o|

After fainting i took it back to the car wash. The owner swears he doesn't use any acidic cleaners but offered to pay to fix the damage so i've to get a few quotes for him.

Bubbling is restricted to mostly horizontal surfaces. Boot lid, spoiler, arches and rear bumper will need resprayed :sob:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before??

20151217_155103.jpg
20151217_155131.jpg
20151217_155139.jpg
20151217_155205.jpg
20151217_155224.jpg

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Micro blisters. I wouldnt put it down to the car washer. Id say the panels have been repainted at some stage and the water/damp has seeped through. Ive had it before with a porsche boxster. Was repainted white. Bonnet, boot lid and tops of wings all blistered after being washed.

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Also, do you use a car cover? they can hold serious amounts of damp and moisture which wont help in this mild damp weather atm.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Pfft... you call those bubbles? Get an E46 :cool: lol

Seriously though, that's not good at all - have you had it long? Any history of damage and/or painting?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Not good ! As said a wash won't have done that, that's happened at the painting stage.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
If I remember correctly from my apprentice days, which was a long time ago, it normally happens when the compressor isn't drained regularly. Moisture builds up inside then travels down the line into the gun.
Or the environment the car is painted in is poor but that's unlikely in this day and age.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
And this is why I use a refrigerated dryer and some use a water trap. Likely as not its moisture coming out of the compressor, heated up the moisture stays as vapour and ends up in the paint. A water trap only removes a small portion of moisture. No matter what you do after that point it's in the paint and it will 'need' to be stripped to bare metal. In a warm climate it's not a problem but when the weather is like this that's when it occurs. One reason I'm very weary of taking on re sprays on older cars.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
If I remember correctly from my apprentice days, which was a long time ago, it normally happens when the compressor isn't drained regularly. Moisture builds up inside then travels down the line into the gun.
Or the environment the car is painted in is poor but that's unlikely in this day and age.
it can be the environment, but that's relatively Easier to manage with heat and air flow. I have a home made booth (not oven) and I can see anything from 91% humidity, or if I run it a while I can get it around 20%. But the bigger problem is that primer is porous, and soaks the moisture up, hence why it shouldn't be left outside, and it's worse if it's been flattened back

Last edited:

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Can't believe the owner of the car park offered to pay to fix that. 99.9% would tell you to sling your hook if they had washed your car with a wet brick never mind had nothing to do with the issue.

Gambit

RMS Regular
thats a complete sickner on that car :worried: i had it on my old classic impreza and it was because of cheap repair/paint job on the rear quarter panel

Last edited:

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
You can't get the car wash to pay after all the advice above saying it wouldn't be their fault and is due to who painted it.
Surprised he even offered to pay for it, as said, most would tell you to beat it.

56oval

RMS Regular
Have you not recently purchased the car?, is there any way you could go back to the vendor?, as everyone has said the fault lies with the paintwork not with the person who washed it, i would head back to the guy who washed it and reassure him that you have been advised that his work is not at fault here, the last thing he probably needs is the thought of having to shell out thousands or a big insurance claim hanging over his head over the christmas period.

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Not blaming the car wash owner in any way as obviously the paint is at fault but would the heat from a hot pressure washer speed up the blistering process?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Thats irrelevant, yes temperature will effect it, but thats like taking it out on a hot day vs a cold day lol

Yes, but would explain why he thought the car wash was at fault. No blisters before washing and then they appear after he gets it washed therefore thinking the washing process was to blame when all it did was highlight an underlying problem. Agreed that a hot day would have had the same affect.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.