'92 hilux surf ssrx 2.4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
So I'd had enough of the Alfa. As good as it was it just wasn't practicle for moving the puppers and everything else about.

I've wanted one of these for as long as I can remember and this came up locally so figured I'd go take a look. It was a cat c repaired, prrobably because it hasn't got a pick of rust anywhere on it. Which is rare for these things. Has a binder of receipts including the head and belts all done within the past year. Also all the electrics work, including the rear window!

Need to fix a slight diesel (could be the pump from reading online) leak, couple of oil leaks and maybe see about the power output a bit. Apart from that just cart these two eejits about in it.

IMG_20180807_195927~2.jpg
IMG_20180807_195156~2.jpg

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Guy I work with just finishing a massive resto on one of these !

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Diesel pump leaks down beside the block which means it’s a pump out job to repair it. I done mine a few years ago and it’s a fairly hefty stripping job to get at them. Timing belt, water pump, rad pack etc off and to get it removed, and then you’ve to time the pump up again when you’re rebuilding her.

I loved mine and it was like brand new in below, but for some reason decided I no longer needed nor wanted it and let it go for £800 or something ridiculous about 3 years ago. She was an SSR-G which means she had the Recaros and stuff, and everything was still in perfect working order including the infamous rear window which can be a temperamental bastid on them.

Keep an eye on your coolant level as the 2.4’a are notorious for cracked heads and the radiators are crap too which doesn’t help matters.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Everyone needs a Jeep, even for just there dogs and the very odd bit of towing!!!

Great find, looking at importing an old Hilux from Oz at the minute if I can get the right one.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Guy I work with just finishing a massive resto on one of these !

Haha, get him to stick up a thread!

Diesel pump leaks down beside the block which means it’s a pump out job to repair it. I done mine a few years ago and it’s a fairly hefty stripping job to get at them. Timing belt, water pump, rad pack etc off and to get it removed, and then you’ve to time the pump up again when you’re rebuilding her.

I loved mine and it was like brand new in below, but for some reason decided I no longer needed nor wanted it and let it go for £800 or something ridiculous about 3 years ago. She was an SSR-G which means she had the Recaros and stuff, and everything was still in perfect working order including the infamous rear window which can be a temperamental bastid on them.

Keep an eye on your coolant level as the 2.4’a are notorious for cracked heads and the radiators are crap too which doesn’t help matters.

I remember that one and sitting on the fence about buying it at the time and when I did go to say to you it was gone. The G is top of the line one too. Surprisingly the interior is alright in this thing. Couldn't believe how good the chrome bumpers condition is either.
Was reading up on the pump last night and there are two you can do with it in situ, so if that doesn't do it then the third one means it needs to come out. Fun times but thankfully there seems to be plenty of room in there to move around.
Has an upgraded Rad on it too and a lower temp thermostat IIRC but yeah I'll be keeping a bottle of coolant in it too for fear.

Needs an exhaust too, so thinking it might just be cheaper to have one made up?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Haha, get him to stick up a thread!

I remember that one and sitting on the fence about buying it at the time and when I did go to say to you it was gone. The G is top of the line one too. Surprisingly the interior is alright in this thing. Couldn't believe how good the chrome bumpers condition is either.
Was reading up on the pump last night and there are two you can do with it in situ, so if that doesn't do it then the third one means it needs to come out. Fun times but thankfully there seems to be plenty of room in there to move around.
Has an upgraded Rad on it too and a lower temp thermostat IIRC but yeah I'll be keeping a bottle of coolant in it too for fear.

Needs an exhaust too, so thinking it might just be cheaper to have one made up?
He has it all on his inst story doesn’t really do forums lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah. It’s the green seals that will go behind the plate on the side of the pump which you can see at the bottom of it below; there’s 1 either side. Be very careful when stripping her down and pay attention to where everything goes (y)

AD4FDAB1-4343-48E5-99C6-CB6889DAF0F1.jpeg

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Sorry for melting your head man....
Had a look at it and I'm not sure if it's the denso one I need for the electronic pump or that one above. Its a 2l te engine, and the pictures line up more with the denso one that I can see. This one:

Search results for: 'ENFU005' | RoughTrax 4x4

This is how it looks and up close

IMG_20180809_200122.jpg
IMG_20180809_200612~2.jpg

Did yours look like that or was it the manual one?

Last edited:

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
So its definitely the electronic pump I have, just waiting on the kit coming into stock, also have a new exhaust ordered up.

Last night driving back from the folks started blasting out steam just as I parked up. So let it sit overnight and today about a mile in temp started to creep up so it got abandoned on the way to work.
Only thing I done yesterday was top up the oil.

There is a receipt for the head being replaced, and the rad, pretty sure the thermostat too. However I think it was Stevie Wonder done it.
I could see slight small bubbling from the gasket and it does seem to be weeping oil all around it.
So it will get limped up to the folks later on, and start taking the head off to see what the craic is.

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
They crack the heads fairly regularly. Was it a new head or a second hand one? It might have been on it's last legs or cracked already.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
New head from RoughTrax, receipt matches up to the price online too.
Just with the oil seeping out and bubbling I'm just hoping im lucky and its just a head gasket.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Make sure the coolant lines are all clean and clear and that the heater matrix in the rear below the front armrest isn’t leaking by checking the carpets for damp.

Was the water pump done too?

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Not too sure. I'll be going through all the receipts tonight more closely though. If I cant find one there only £40 so will do it too.
Full engine gasket & seal set is only £60 compared to £20 for the HG alone so might just get that.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
So got the new exhaust yesterday and today and fitted it last night, just as well there is a fair amount of travel in the rear axle with the shape of the thing to get it in. Nearly the whole underside of the old one was honeycombed and the centre flexible section was in bits. Just some small holes to get welded up on the front and that's the exhaust completely sorted.

IMG_20180813_182732.jpg

As for the leak, I think a pipe is splitting while under pressure as when the rad is filled up and not under an uphill load it sits fine. Foot down and up a long bit of a steep hill it starts to rapidly climb in temp so will get it rigged up to the bike pump and pressure test it tonight see if I can find out which one(s) are leaking.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
The alloy cast of the filler neck and stat housing corroded quite badly on mine which cause a leak as the top hose couldn’t get a good seat. Had to remove it, rub it all down with sand paper and reseat the hose. I think I ended up replacing that hose as it was very stiff and didn’t clamp into place well with it being so old.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Its as well I like this thing.
Went out at 6.30 to move it to let Jess out and started with its usual bit of cough but a lot better than normal. Moved it back a bit. Went out at 7.30 filled it up with water and a bit of oil, cranks, some fumes but nothing.
Think the primer isn't pulling through, wasn't getting stiff at all when pumping it so think that might be the problem. Never was a fan of Tuesdays.

The alloy cast of the filler neck and stat housing corroded quite badly on mine which cause a leak as the top hose couldn’t get a good seat. Had to remove it, rub it all down with sand paper and reseat the hose. I think I ended up replacing that hose as it was very stiff and didn’t clamp into place well with it being so old.

I think its on the left hand side of the engine (as you look at it) its leaking from. Had a look yesterday evening but couldn't see anything but that's were it was coming from. Thermostat that was put into this was from a Lexus so I'm getting the proper one ordered up just to be safe.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
There's more than a little irony moving from Alfa to Toyota and all of a sudden having reliability issues lol

Hahaha, just a bit. She's being nice about it at the minute, just wait till she see's the part list and price.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Good news is it's the primer is on it's last legs. Got it facing downhill and it started first time.

Anyone know a breakers yard in the north that might have these? £90 for a new one seems steep.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Beattie at Camlough near Newry has been Toyota breaker for decades. Google him or FB.
Worth a try.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.