A Bit Of Advice On Faulty Clutch And Mechanic

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Andyreww

RMS Member
Recently took a car to a mechanics (i'll not name and shame....yet) So I was billed £200, it's a 1.0 Seat Arosa, I was happy enough to pay it because it's a reasonable price, so the clutch gets changed promptly, happy days I get it back the same night, I drive it for a few miles and the engine managment light comes on, ok... so I just park it back up and rang him, said something wrong with it, he came out next morning fixed the problem said it was something to do with a spark plug.

so I drive it for a while and it's very juddery and jumpy I put it down to the clutch bedding in, didnt think much of it, then the noise thats always been there since the clutch went reappears its like a "ticaticaticaticatica" sort of like a quiet chainsaw, had a few people listen to it came to the conclusion that it was a thrust bearing (release bearing) the noise disappears when you press the clutch in, and reappears when you let it out.. so the guy was supposed to of changed the whole kit including the thrust bearing (release bearing)

so I rang him up and he said theres clearly a noise and something wrong, he says he changed it and the part must of failed, says it'll cost another £80-100 to fix, so after a while of back and forth "it should of been right in the first place" and "recoup any loss from the manufacture" cause after all hes already been paid £200 for it to be done and it was never done right, regardless if it was a manfacture problem WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT.

he says yeah, it sounds like a bearing, takes it apart rings me up and says no, theres nothing wrong with it, so he'll need paying, so when I ask whys it making the noise when the clutch is out and disappears when its put in he replies "I dont know but the clutch is fine" so I ring him to say, ok no problem, i'll come down with another mechanic to look at it, he says that theres clearly a problem now and though it looks ok to him, hes gonna ring the manufacture to see if he can sort something because he still needs paying...

AM I MISSING SOMETHING? I never got a fully working clutch put into my car for that £200 its been wrong since the start, so am I being unreasonable by saying, awk its ok heres another £100 for you having to fix something you didnt do right in the first place?

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Ok had the clutch tested and its faulty, he wants another £60 to put it in, but just going to have to go with it, scum

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Not to sure mate he said it was "tested" and the clutch was found faulty, something is really not ringing right, ive a funny feeling he only replaced the plate and nothing else... is there no test for it?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well when you went up to look at it, was the replacement clutch new or not new. It's easy to tell just by looking.

If he supplied all the parts, then like it or not it is really up to him to sort it out.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
He's putting it now mate, so havent had a chance to look at it, he supplied the parts, and said hes running a business and wants £60quid to re-fit a clutch that wasnt right in the first place, you reckeon hes put a scrap clutch in it?

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
well the clutch was £65quid online, so the rest was labor, everywhere else was quoting £240, so it was decent, but its worked out ALOT more than a reputable garage, and alot more hassle now, so a lesson learned.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
To be fair, if it's a part at fault, it's not his fault. What is his fault is not trying to recoup his losses from his supplier, which he could well do anyway on top of the £60 extra he took off you.
I would have told him to do that. £100 is not a big deal in terms of garage labour, 2-3 hours for most, so any supplier worth their sauce should cover that.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Well you see this is his story... It's not his fault, but its also not my fault.. he was orginally paid £141 the first time and is now being paid £60 this time, so its been £200 alone on labor to fit a clutch for a backstreet garage, probably for a part he got for £30 from a scrap yard, aswell as the £80 he should be for the clutch, which clearly wasnt new, it doesnt fault the same day, it's unheard of, atleast from my experience so out of the £280 he's probably spent the guts of £30 for a new clutch plate. while making £250 off me.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Pedal boxes are soft as butter in them motors as well as the Lupo and 6n2 Polos (non gti/tdi's), but if its a whirring sound and not a creaking sound then id have thot it would be the release bearing.

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Nah, he said the clutch had been tested, and it was a problem with the clutch, you can hear it mate, it sounds excatly like a thrust bearing, its like sort of mechanical similar to a chainsaw ticking over, without the loud highpitched noise, sort of "ticaticaticticaticatica" try and say that fast, I know its a silly example :p

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Thats what I thought, whats the odds in that going within a few days of a "new" one being put in? is it common occurance?

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Gambit I think you hit the nail on the head, it seems like hes just changed the clutch plate, and never done the bearing, and now is looking £60 to do it, which Im going to have to pay, even though id already paid him £140 in labor, I just dont buy that the thrust bearing went the same night as the clutch was done, regardless how "weak" cheap clutches are

Andyreww

RMS Member
OP
A
Yep, he got it. it stated on the receipt "Clutch Kit with Release bearing" I think you're right I think hes just replaced the plate and nothing else thinking he'd get away with it. I just dont know why youd do that? he tried to deny there was a fault, and then when I said ok, I'll get a mechanic, he then admitted there was a fault and that he had it tested. I dont get why youd lie

Gambit

RMS Regular
ask to see the old bearing & clutch he replaced tho im guessing his bins get emptied today

as for why he'd do it, prob thought he could get away with it, make himself so more money - its hard times for all out there, some are honest, others not so. though as said it could just be hard luck also that the new one failed. but then thats his fault not yours as he supplied the parts

tommy b

RMS Regular
Drives
ibiza mk4@ibiza
This happened to me before clutch failed on my corsa after 2 weeks of fitting the garage replaced it again we came to an agreement for us splitting the labour cost shook hands it was done

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
ask to see the old bearing & clutch he replaced tho im guessing his bins get emptied today

as for why he'd do it, prob thought he could get away with it, make himself so more money - its hard times for all out there, some are honest, others not so. though as said it could just be hard luck also that the new one failed. but then thats his fault not yours as he supplied the parts

It's not his fault the new parts failed. But in a supply/fit scenario he does have a lot of responsibility and should stand over it.

All the more reason not to use cheap parts, and use only parts that are known and trusted. Often that can mean dealer only parts.

Use cheap dung and it's a risk he takes and for the extra profit he makes the majority of the time, he should be ready to stand over it the rest of the time

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.