a little lower

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
i've been toying with the idea of lowering the front of the 306 for a good while now, but usually talk myself out of it for a few weeks... only to decide i actually do want it lower. its a vicious circle.

i also wanted to wait and see what the terrain on site would be like this year, as there was no point in slamming the car if i'd be driving over large stones etc.

after 3months working, theres been no excessively rough ground, so ive decided to go for it. im happy with the rear of the car at present, its just tthe front wheels id like up in the archs more. though, im sure when i get new springs the rear will look high.

i have avo 40mm (i think) springs at the minute, and the torsion bar down 1 notch. does anyone know who makes 60mm, or 50mm if possible, springs for the 306? also, very few do them for petrol models, mainly for d-turbo. will these fit in a petrol model? as im going above 40mm, i know i need to replace the shocks. whats a good option to go for, at very little pounds?

:grinning:

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
If you want the ultimate in lowness a set of saxo 60mm springs is the order of the day ;)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
do you speak from experience scrob? and they'll fit a mighty 306?

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Lyons said:
do you speak from experience scrob? and they'll fit a mighty 306?

Oh yes my good man, a friend of mine had them in his and she was truely nailed to the floor. In saying that I think you may have to adjust the friendly torsion bar or it could look like youve just planted a big heavy V8 under the bonnet ;)

Pac-Man

Banned
I have mine booked in to get lowered on Tuesday. I'm using some fine 30mm 106 springs from young Max lad and i told the guy to adjust the torsion bar to suit. 17's going on at the same time, so with any luck it'll be lower than sleeping with your little sisters best friend.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
i feel you're going to need a great deal more luck than that. mine has 40mm springs already and sits high as a pie. the extra weight of the dirtyness should bring it down to a similar height to mine though.

you just keeping the standard shocks?

Pac-Man

Banned
did he say roughly how long it would take him???

nope, although it shouldnt be any longer than a day. the guy is only about 2 miles away from where i live, so a spritely dander up the road will be on the cards till i pick up another mode of transport for the rest of the day. :grinning:

Pac-Man

Banned
Lyons said:
i feel you're going to need a great deal more luck than that. mine has 40mm springs already and sits high as a pie. the extra weight of the dirtyness should bring it down to a similar height to mine though.

you just keeping the standard shocks?

It should be ok, theres some difference in weight between a dirty derv 306 lump and a tin-pot 106 effort. If not, then i'll just change them myself as i have spring clamps in the garage, no big deal.

was going to just get some new shocks from ECP, i think they have cheap Bilsteins in their catalogue.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
would they just be for standard replacement, or would they be suitable for shorter springs too?

i changed these ones myself... just watch out for any straying driveshafts :roll:. gear box oil is very messy indeed

Pac-Man

Banned
Its ok Lyonster, i know how to change springs in a car ;)

The Bilstein shocks that ECP sell are actually the ones that are in the Strretline kits, people may try and tell you otherwise, but i've checked the part numbers for the 205 GTi shocks and they are the same. I'm assuming tis is the case for all Peugeots if not all manufacturers they stock them for.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
oh i never doubted you couldn't, i know of one chap you had a bit of an accident just.

i shall have to explore these Bilstein examples further, as ECP would be hard to beat. would i be pushing my luck asking for a link?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
basically Bilstein shocks at £29.99. the rear are the same price. looks like i could be sitting nearer the ground.

let me know how you rate this guy doing the work on yours.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
His was indeed a dirty oil burner young lyons, the front arches sat nicely over the top of the front tyres and the rears were resting on the metal of the rims. Obviously you mightnt want to adjust the torsion bar quite that far but you can see the jiste of what the springs will do :grinning:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
in this case 60mm springs could do.

any chance of a glimpse at a snap?

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Lyons said:
in this case 60mm springs could do.

any chance of a glimpse at a snap?

Sadly not as he put her through a hedge! (aquaplaned in the torrential rain over't summer)

Pac-Man

Banned
You are probably right, but still, part numbers from their single dampers and those used in the Streetline (40mm) kit were the same for a 205 GTi, so most likely the same for them all.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.