A very special little R53 MINI (now with Milltek)

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Glad to see you out and about and enjoying the wee car @_Stu_ , I'm sure your mate is looking down at you smiling and would be very happy with the work you've done so far (y)

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Glad to see you out and about and enjoying the wee car @_Stu_ , I'm sure your mate is looking down at you smiling and would be very happy with the work you've done so far (y)

Cheers Gav, with all the events coming up it's going to see plenty of miles and guzzle through lots of super unleaded but that's the way he would have wanted it. It's still very tough getting in and driving it but in time it will get easier I'm sure.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Booked the 3 cars in for minis in the city on sunday, now just to find the gazeebo and cadac bbq, cant wait to hook up with the r and f regulars, anyone going that wants cooked food bring your steaks

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I am sorry I didn't see this sooner.
David was a good lad and was one of the first to come and talk to me and my wife at my first MINi show. It was a shock when I heard about the loss of David.
It's good to see his MINI is being cared for, I am sure he would be happy with what your doing.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
I am sorry I didn't see this sooner.
David was a good lad and was one of the first to come and talk to me and my wife at my first MINi show. It was a shock when I heard about the loss of David.
It's good to see his MINI is being cared for, I am sure he would be happy with what your doing.

Am I right in thinking you and your wife are the ones we always chatted to at Bushmills and think we all got a chippy a couple of years ago? He was really well known and highly thought of by everyone that he came in to contact with.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Yep, that would be us. I don't get to many of the shows but always enjoy it when I do. It helps to have very friendly people about and from what I have experienced over the last number of years, the MINI crowd are some of the friendliest.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
I might be able to make it but there is a couple of other things that I have to do that might get in the way. I will just have to see. Why is it so many things always seem to happen on the same day!

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
MOT day today and Seth passed with nothing more than a steam clean underneath. Been advised to keep an eye on front bushes and brake pipes so will spend a Saturday soon putting wishbones in and cleaning up and protecting the pipes.

Other than that no other big updates other than taking Seth to the International MINI Meet in Westport back in May. Also taking a trip to Donegal for a show this Sunday.

Having a debate over the number plate as David had a personal plate but didn't put it on to Seth as he had planned on getting a brand new MINI JCW in the near future. Will consider putting it on as it would be a shame to just keep his plate on a retention certificate.

IMG_6691.JPG

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Check the brake pipes behind the plastic underbody covers where they bend up just in front of the fuel tank. That's where they tend to rot first and may be worth just replacing them all rather than cleaning them up. Once it's done that's them for life really, and it's not that bad a job.

And definitely stick the plate on for your mate.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Will get a good look at the brake pipes next week maybe. Plan on putting the car away over winter if I can find someone who'll rent me a space in a garage so it's a job I could do while it's off the road. Also think I'll replace both wishbones instead of just doing the bushes. Would be an easier job and I'd know it's sorted that way.

Had a chat about the plate and an agreement has been made. I had originally thought it would be lovely for Davids grandparents to have his plate but they were always keen to see it go on to Seth. I didn't feel this was very fair and didn't sit well with me as they've already done so so much for me. So I proposed that if Davids plate goes on to Seth I would buy them a plate for their car with Davids initials along with part of their surname in the letters. They loved this idea so I purchased them a plate and am just waiting on the paperwork coming for it now.

It might be difficult for me to get Davids plate in to my name but it is possible so as soon as all that's sorted the plate will go on to Seth. Earlier on while flicking through photos I found one where he had his old Cooper D and Seth parked up together and stuck his set of plates on both so that's kind of let me know that I'm doing the right thing

IMG_2571.JPG

pablo

RMS Moderator
You should be fit to assign it online presuming you have the cert ok. Without going into any complications.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Took Seth to the Mourne Mini Club annual show today at Donard Park. David was a member of this club and I've become a member to keep everything continuing. In his memory they got a cup made which goes to the winner in the BMW MINI class in the club members stand. The club class is judged independently so I was really taken back when my registration number was read out to say it had won.

Next big event is the Causeway Coast MINI weekend at the end of August and I've got my accommodation and pre entry to the show sorted already.

IMG_7403.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

Jonny

RMS Regular
It's been extremely touching reading through this thread.

I hope that as well as the service to David's memory that you are doing that it brings you comfort and help to cope with things.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
Will just replace the arms I think. It's a long term keeper so will replace anything that looks a bit tired. If it's a pain I will get @Wild Thing to do it for me.

its a P bush on the end of the arm, you have to drop the subframe to get the bolts for the bush out. Not overly difficult but a bit of a PITA

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
I was really hoping someone would get pics of this. Thank you so much!

Assume you were in the orange ST? If so it sounds amazing

No problem!

Yes that was me. Cheers, it would need to sound amazing for how thirsty it is!lol

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Quick update on Seth as it has been a while. There hasn’t been much progress really other than another couple of runs and shows since last time. I had Seth at the CCMC weekend back at the end of August which was great craic as always. Then in September there was a coastal run which was held in David’s memory as he had organised the first coastal run. All money raised on this went to PIPS mental health charity and over £400 was raised. Finally there was a run a couple of weeks ago to Carlingford to raise money for the USPCA which was a great drive and a nice way to end the season of runs and shows.

Today I arranged for Seth to go in to dry and secure winter storage so will be prepping for that this weekend. I also got confirmation that David’s personal reg (EBZ 724) has been transferred to my name and can now be put on to the car so will need to get that done next week.

It’ll be strange going through the winter months with no events on but I have got some work to carry out when the car is in storage. The wheels aren’t in great shape and are deteriorating so they will be removed and sent for a full refurb including new centre caps and new wheel bolts as the heads on the current ones are looking a bit rusty. Also I will be doing a full service and new rear pads and discs along with working out what is causing a slight knock in the steering at low speed ( suspect a bush or track rod end) and then we will be ready for hitting the road again next spring.

Anyway sorry for another long winded update, here are a few pictures from recent runs.

6DE06D7F-81F6-491C-9BED-859B2A952A4F.jpeg

0104A7E1-DA7E-4AEB-A944-9A58090F0578.jpeg

1923894D-1949-4381-85FD-4DC64781A117.jpeg

3C4ECED7-4077-4995-857B-FE46B54D3370.jpeg

A5D4E883-22CA-4E96-BB5A-4AC403917726.jpeg

C33ABD6B-368D-4EC7-A78A-F1ACBFD2BDCD.jpeg

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Today I decided to fit the new plates to Seth. It was a complete pain in the ass getting the paperwork sorted for these but DVLA finally saw a little bit of sense and transferred them.

I know not everyone likes metro font but I really like these and also David made these up himself at his work when he first bought the car so they will be staying on forever (except MOT day).

B06D3D52-CF00-4A7E-AF3A-E92A3A873928.jpeg