About to change to an Etron- any Etron owners about to tell me I am doing the right thing?!

NeilMcG

RMS Trader
Drives
VW GTe
I am just about to sign up to an Etron from carleasespecialoffers, 3 year deal. Currently have a Lexus nx hybrid F sport which I find very comfortable but a bit on the slow side. I am in the car for an hour every day going to and from work. Have driven the Etron and find it very comfortable, arm rest a bit low for me but comfortable non the less. Couple of questions-
1. Can I change the alloys without difficulty to a set of 21s without worrying about air pressure configuration etc?
2. If I was to get the rear windows tinted do you think the lease company would take exception when i hand the car back or is there any way around it?
Thanks

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Not sure on your first point regarding the wheels.

Lease companies pay no attention to tinted windows when returning.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Limited to 5000 miles?

Had a nosey there on that site and some good deals but all really low mileage allowance :confounded:

big cyril

RMS Regular
I think some of the higher spec e-trons come with 21’s, the tyre is lower profile so the overall diameter is probably the same as the 20’s so unlikely to cause problems but I’m no expert.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think some of the higher spec e-trons come with 21’s, the tyre is lower profile so the overall diameter is probably the same as the 20’s so unlikely to cause problems but I’m no expert.

Probably thinking of the TPMS sensors in the tyre? Honestly don't know if they have them or not, be worth asking the dealer or one of the Etron groups on facebook to see. I know for sure some of those guys have changed the wheels on theirs.

Quite like our one. Reasonably quick, well built, plenty of toys and cheap to run.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I am just about to sign up to an Etron from carleasespecialoffers, 3 year deal. Currently have a Lexus nx hybrid F sport which I find very comfortable but a bit on the slow side. I am in the car for an hour every day going to and from work. Have driven the Etron and find it very comfortable, arm rest a bit low for me but comfortable non the less. Couple of questions-
1. Can I change the alloys without difficulty to a set of 21s without worrying about air pressure configuration etc?
2. If I was to get the rear windows tinted do you think the lease company would take exception when i hand the car back or is there any way around it?
Thanks

Only thing to think about if you find the car comfortable as it is on 20s if you change to 21s with lower profile that will impact comfort.

Personally my RS6 came on 20s and when I bought a set of OZs I stuck with 20 due to the crap roads we're forced to suffer. Lower profile means less cushion meaning more chance of rim damage imo.

Tints are reversible so can't see them causing any issue. Also if you retain the original wheels and put them back on when returning the car that nullifies any worry there too?

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
If you're getting tints done, I'd highly recommend Pentagon Glass. They did a few cars for me a few years back, and their work was absolutely incredible. I genuinely couldn't spot any difference between their work and factory tints.
One of the Quantity Surveyors I work with moved from a diesel tiguan to a Etron, and is saving a fortune in BIK, so it's a great move for company car drivers.

Cheers
Cooks

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
They are averaging 2.2 as they are heavy beasts, whilst my i3 is 4.5 easy. 200 miles on average, superb interior and spec. We have them on NHS deals around 250-300 a month all inclusive including insurance and tires. Great cars!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah for an EV they're pretty hard run. Getting 2.4 on a run, which is 7p per mile on fuel.

Cayenne would do 20mpg on that same run, which is 28p per mile on fuel

So its roughly 1/4 the cost to run on fuel vs petrol so it's still cheap comparatively speaking.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Yeah for an EV they're pretty hard run. Getting 2.4 on a run, which is 7p per mile on fuel.

Cayenne would do 20mpg on that same run, which is 28p per mile on fuel

So its roughly 1/4 the cost to run on fuel vs petrol so it's still cheap comparatively speaking.

A V8 monster Cayenne isn't really a great comparison tbh.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
My S3 is costing me the guts of £320 a month to run which includes SUL and tax - about 360 miles a week

I own it outright so bar insurance and maintenance it doesn't cost me anything else but I have no idea about EV cars, savings, cost, etc... all I see on those leasing pages is a Renault Zoe for £300 a month with an initial payment of £x000's

Work is 35 miles away so its always been on my mind to change the car to EV/Diesel

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
A V8 monster Cayenne isn't really a great comparison tbh.

It's similar power, size, weight and equipment. Ok the Etron is about 100bhp short but it's got torque to compensate. 20mpg seems about right for any full size 300bhp+ 4x4.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
My S3 is costing me the guts of £320 a month to run which includes SUL and tax - about 360 miles a week

I own it outright so bar insurance and maintenance it doesn't cost me anything else but I have no idea about EV cars, savings, cost, etc... all I see on those leasing pages is a Renault Zoe for £300 a month with an initial payment of £x000's

Work is 35 miles away so its always been on my mind to change the car to EV/Diesel
My 750£ swift cost me £160 a month and that was petrol, tax, insurance. If you add mot and one service and potential tires over lets say 2-3 years and odd maintenance it added up to 180-200. I pay £180 for 38k i3 with all that included. 72k ipace or etron is around £300 and charging is free in NI still so as long as you can lease one or afford it is a no brainer for daily

Marc

RMS Moderator

How much does depreciation cost you per month?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
@Marc no idea and considering the level of tune/mods to the car it wouldnt fetch the same money probably as a standard one

Marc

RMS Moderator
@Marc no idea and considering the level of tune/mods to the car it wouldnt fetch the same money probably as a standard one
@Boydie would you reckon it would be worth £1000/£2000/£3000 less this time next year with another 15k - 20k miles? or would it be the same value if you were to sell?

Last edited:

HairyPotter

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
beware,
seen this guy on youtube last week has had his etron in the garage for 50% of his ownership (i know it's only one disgruntled owner)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Ours has been great, no reliability issues and a very comfortable family car with plenty of power. The only gripe is range is not as good as quoted. We got 185 miles from it for the first week or so and since then it’s only ever achieved 150 max, owned since start of August.