Advice on accident joining Dual Carriageway

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
He should not have pulled out into the road if there was any chance that someone could have changed lanes and hit him, side on or not. Those using the carriageway have right of way and shouldn't need to avoid joiners. A car was there using the road so he should have waited until both lanes are clear so there's no chance of someone changing lanes and smacking him. I bet he wouldn't have pulled out if the guy was doing the same speed in the offside lane.

Had sgt's mate not just joined the carriageway but was just merrily plodding along in the offside lane at a significantly slower pace than everyone else then I would agree that the other dude was at fault but he's just joined the road and caused the accident. I agree that it'll probably be 50/50 but it really shouldn't be. People fire out into unused lanes all the time right beside fast moving traffic, I'm surprised there's not more crashes like this tbh.

pablo

RMS Moderator
there are a number of reasons someone would be going slower in the fast lane though, about to turn right for example.

pheunos

RMS Regular
I agree with Coog on this one. In my opinion the overtaking lane is for overtaking, not for joining the carriageway, no matter how hard you accelerate.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the guy that moved from the inside lane to the overtaking lane was already on the carriageway, therefore had right of way.

pablo

RMS Moderator
given that the impact was to the side I think that shows the opposite really.

personally I wouldnt pull into the fast lane like that in case something like the above happened.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
there are a number of reasons someone would be going slower in the fast lane though, about to turn right for example.

Had sgt's mate not just joined the carriageway but was just merrily plodding along in the offside lane at a significantly slower pace than everyone else then I would agree that the other dude was at fault but he's just joined the road and caused the accident.

Yeah I agree, had it been half a mile down the road then I would understand but causing the accident because you've just joined the road isn't anyones fault but your own.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
given that the impact was to the side I think that shows the opposite really.

personally I wouldnt pull into the fast lane like that in case something like the above happened.

It was the rear 1/4 and you could smash someones rear 1/4 half a second after they pull out. It tells us nothing other than the guy in the carriageway was there and shouldn't need to avoid anyone pulling out infront or beside him.

pablo

RMS Moderator
nope if he pulled out in front of someone who had already started their move youd get rammed square in the arse imo.

hitting them in the side implies they pulled out without looking properly and into the side of the car already in the fast lane. If you move lanes without checking properly then imo youre at fault.

pheunos

RMS Regular
nope if he pulled out in front of someone who had already started their move youd get rammed square in the arse imo.

hitting them in the side implies they pulled out without looking properly and into the side of the car already in the fast lane. If you move lanes without checking properly then imo youre at fault.

Surely it'a all a matter of timing? You could feasibly hit them anywhere from the front left indicator back.

pablo

RMS Moderator
aye well its not exact but none of us were there and we only have a second hand story of what happened. Its possible sure, but pretty unlikely as it would have be within a split second window.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
OP
Sgt_Major
Drives
E81 123d
I think he's trying to settle without insurance being involved, but I'm trying to advise him about covering his ass in terms of "my back hurts now" scenarios.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Hmmm strange one, technically he shouldn't have joined the DC until it was clear to do so but then again the guy overtaking shouldn't overtake until its clear either, I'd say the insurers will go 50/50 as previously said

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.