Advice on removing snapped bolt...

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
Right so upon trying to change a front abs sensor on the e46 I managed to snap the sensor retaining bolt. It has snapped pretty much flush with the hub. Looking some advice on what's the best way to go about rescuing the situation?? I'm assuming drilling it out is gong to be the order of the day. I have been in this situation before and made a right mess so looking someone with a bit of experience to give me a few pointers?? I read somewhere about using left handed drill bits to drill into it so as not to tighten it any further.. i can pick some up if this is the best way to go...?

Thanks in advance.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Right so upon trying to change a front abs sensor on the e46 I managed to snap the sensor retaining bolt. It has snapped pretty much flush with the hub. Looking some advice on what's the best way to go about rescuing the situation?? I'm assuming drilling it out is gong to be the order of the day. I have been in this situation before and made a right mess so looking someone with a bit of experience to give me a few pointers?? I read somewhere about using left handed drill bits to drill into it so as not to tighten it any further.. i can pick some up if this is the best way to go...?

Thanks in advance.

If there's no corrosion a fine punch tapping it round will move most. If not get a good brand stud extractor, drill appropriate sized hole and wind stud extractor in. Just don't be rash and snap stud extractor.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Did the same thing on my own E46.
Hub off the car and welded a nut over the offending bolt. Came out easy with the heat.

I've never had much luck with drilling bolts out without damaging threads.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Ahhh I remember snapping 2 pinch bolts when doing coilovers in my last E46.

No messing about, just took a scoot up to McKinty and bought 2 spare hubs for £20 or something stupid 😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Well there's the proper way to do it and then there's sticking the new sensor in without a retaining bolt and letting friction do its thing (with a little assistance if necessary). They don't normally move once in there in my experience 😁 8o|

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Well there's the proper way to do it and then there's sticking the new sensor in without a retaining bolt and letting friction do its thing (with a little assistance if necessary). They don't normally move once in there in my experience 😁 8o|
Very true!
If you do go down the drilling route centrepunch the tip of the stud and drill very slowly using plenty of oil/lube and a quality drill bit. With regards thread damage you will probably have to run a tap down the threads anyway to clean up corrosion (the reason the bolt snapped in the first place I presume), or failing that a helicoil.
Realistically if it happened to me at home I’d probably just do what Coog suggested! It can be a tedious enough job in the workshop even with air drills and all the equipment to hand.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
And if the worst should happen and the threads get destroyed a helicoil can usually save the day.

Sham1

RMS Regular
If you are going to weld, it’s easier to weld a washer to it first. A mudguard/repair washer is best. It’s easier to weld the centre of the washer to the bolt. Then weld a nut onto the washer. Tack the outside of the nut to the washer. If you have a mig, the you can just use the nut, but I find the washer first method easier with a stick welder.

tiw30

RMS Regular
The price of a new hub carrier would probably be worth all the hassle, the bolt would be an M6 so welding anything onto it won't really be an option as it is likely broke close to flush and any Easy out that fine will not have the strength to screw it out, if it was loose enough for an easy out to take it out it wouldn't have snapped in the fitst place, so either replace the hub or as Coog suggested just put in a new sensor they are usually a good fit and unlikely to come out (nothing but vibration to make them come out anyway) and possibly stick the head of the old bolt into the hole in the sensor if it can be seen by Mr MOT so he can't say anything but if he cant see it don't worry

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea hubs can be picked up pretty cheap, probably the easiest option.

If I keep my e46 that’s what I’ll be doing when I replace the shocks, because I just know I’m going to have the same problem @Marc C had! Lol

tiw30

RMS Regular
You won@t need hubs if your changing your shocks' just use a chisel in the slot to open it and relerse the strut or one of the tools that fit in a ratchet the you put in narrow side and turn a quarter of a turn and will open the slot enough, these cost around £10 and are more than worth it if your changing a strut, no hassle with these a few thumps with a mallet at most if its been together years and they can be used on other makes

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
You won@t need hubs if your changing your shocks' just use a chisel in the slot to open it and relerse the strut or one of the tools that fit in a ratchet the you put in narrow side and turn a quarter of a turn and will open the slot enough, these cost around £10 and are more than worth it if your changing a strut, no hassle with these a few thumps with a mallet at most if its been together years and they can be used on other makes
The pinch bolts tend to snap on these though, that’s the issue.

tiw30

RMS Regular
Never had a problem with one of these breaking and I've done plenty, a bit of penetrating oil before hand and take your time and if you have to work it back and forward. Don't use power tools until you know its free moving