All New Volvo XC90 Excels

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

colin84

RMS Regular
I am reading the reviews from the RMS massive win great interest on here.

My Range Rover sport is due for changing in the next couple of months, and after looking at a lot of motors, the all new XC90 was very high up my list.

I have looked at a lot of different motors, from picking up a deal getting one of the last discovery 4s, to a new Q7, and even an SQ7 (but truth be told, I found the new Q7 as boring as sin.....)

I took the new R Design home for a 48 hour test drive, and absolutely loved it....... But, and for me this is a major factor, their engine choice is what is stopping me from buying one.

The R Design I had was their top of the range T8 hybrid, which mates a 320bhp petrol engine with an 90bhp electric motor, giving a combined 410bhp in performance mode.

410bhp should be blistering in most motors, and still reasonably quick I'm something as big as the XC90 but it certainly didn't feel it, nor drive like it.

And it returned 31mpg over the 2 days, which makes it less efficient and therefore less attractive than the diesel.

I took an extended test drive in the diesel and was disappointed with it. Perhaps I have been spoiled with my smooth V6 3lt in the Sport, but I found the 2lt working harder during most normal driving. I also tow once every couple of weeks a load over 2.5tonnes, and feel that for sure that would make it work really hard.

Even with the disappointment over the engine, I specced the R Design diesel with a few extras which I would need (towbar and air suspension) as well as a few desirable options, it took the price to a shade over £60k

£60k..... For a 2lt Volvo. If it was a bigger engine, I would have bought it. If it was a few ££££ cheaper I would have bought it, but I am finding it as hard to justify spending £60k on a 2lt Volvo (which I genuinely loved) as I am trying to justify an £8k jump in price from my 2014 RRS to the new 2017 model.

I am still torn with my decision as I now realise that my RRS has totally spoiled me, and is going to be a very difficult vehicle to replace.
The Volvo is just so so good, looks fantastic, has more space than you need. Can genuinely transport 7 adults in style and comfort and as @Graham has so eloquently described much better than I can, the level of trim, seats, technology etc makes my sport seem so so old, but I just cannot see past that 2lt 4cylinder derv engine.....

Am I being stupid?

Yes, I actually washed it before leaving it back!
View attachment 124620

View attachment 124621

Suitable replacement?
View attachment 124622

Looks nice, but those wheels look straight out of Halfords.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
These new volvos look fantastic, they look as good as anything from the premium Germans.

The new XC90 looks superb

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.