Alloy Refurb... who's best to go to?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

kinkykirky

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320D MSPORT
Going to get the alloys on my Audi refurbed and done black. where's the best to go to and not too expensive? Also should i go gloss or matt? lol

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Don't bother with Wheels in Motion in Belfast, I've a bad experience with them (see the review I left on Google maps for more info).

Just got my Scooby wheels back from AG Automotive in Portstewart and they're perfect. I've also used NuLuk in Carrickfergus and again, wheels were prefect. @Astroid has also just had a set done (power coated) by a guy outside Donaghadee and they're pretty good too from what I've seen.

People are always recommending Polished Alloys but way too many stories of him doing wheels multiple time before they're right. I know there are people on here who have recommended him and it took 3 attempts to get their wheel right. I also know that @Arfur isn't too pleased about the job he did on his rims.

Price wise youre looking around £400 from NuLuk, £280 from AG or Wheels in Motion (who I really don't rate at all) and about £180 from the guy in Donaghadee and Polishing Alloys. Basically you make your choice and take your chances.

As for black rims I had a set of gloss black on my old Clio RS200 (done by NuLuk) and while they did look very good they were a nightmare to keep clean and showed every mark from washing. Wouldn't do it again I have to admit.

Hopefully @Astroid will be along soon with the guy in Donaghadees details.

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Polished alloys had a go at mine twice, a year later and the paint bubbled up on two of them and has came off. Cheap at the time, you get what you pay for.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
I've had a few sets done with Michael @polishingalloys and to be fair they have all beenquiries fantastic and the finish is still great. Great service everytime and very good price.

Dad had a set done by Nu Luk and the paint fell off inside 8 months. At the time they wouldn't stand over them. This was about 8 years ago right enough.

I've heard good and bad about them all. It's all about how fussy u are and what u expect at the end of the day.

I wouldn't spend £400 on a refurb especially on a daily. On a show car that's different tho.

AG automotive is the man we go to for bodywork etc and he's flawless honestly. Just never had a set of wheels done with him

Jason

RMS Regular
Boys forget about painted finish, give Cobra custom's a shout they dip/treat them and powder coat them inside/out/back to front and the finish is excellent and durable, painted finish lucky if it does 6 months.

Jason

RMS Regular
13240530_1108380419235480_1013429545687472358_n.jpg

13268502_1108380242568831_3988932389910404093_o.jpg

8 of my wheels done earlier in the week, flawless.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Also do collection and delivery of alloys, even down to Millisle! Someone should tell them their website's busted though.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Also do collection and delivery of alloys, even down to Millisle! Someone should tell them their website's busted though.

They do collection and delivery? Will come in useful for the Steevs on my car when I decide what finish to get!

Nigelo

RMS Regular
They do collection and delivery? Will come in useful for the Steevs on my car when I decide what finish to get!

Exactly what I was thinking. I was going to go full gloss black, but they need something to lift them. Red stripe around the rim... not keen. Should just put the money toward some skinny spoke enkeis or something.

gsmith

RMS Regular
I've used a few places and for me the only place I go to now is nu luk have used 3 other places which I won't name and to be fair I'd call them average at best. nu luk are more expensive so it depends on your budget and what sort of job you'll be happy with. Nu luk can collect and deliver them also. To be fair the wheels @Jas Lad has had done look very good.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.