Alloy Wheel Rim Protectors

Franko666

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60
What's everyone's opinion of alloy wheel rim protectors such as Rim Blades, Gator Alloys etc.
Just kerbed my first wheel on the new car, and although it is only £70 to get it fixed, it is a real bollocks to leave the car in overnight and get lifts, so was thinking of getting these.
Does anyone have them, and are they easy to install?

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Alloygators are the best in terms of protection, the rest are too soft, more of a fashion accessory. Problem with the Alloygator is the build of of dirt and grit which then moves around between the plastic and the wheel acting like sandpaper.

Then you have the problem of leaks should you hit a kerb and it doesn’t sit flush again. Same again when changing tyres, the little metal clips can come loose and they don’t sit right, again causing leaks. A lot of tyre shops will charge more for removing and fitting (if they know how to do it).

To sum up, good for the look (I had orange, glow in the dark and green) but for practical use and preventing damage, nope.

If you do go ahead, I have old stock that you could have cheap but we don’t fit them any more.