American head unit wiring

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Do American head units have the same ISO style wiring blocks? Are there any differences in the lay out of the wires in the block at all?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Nothing yet, but they're over £100 cheaper. Can you answer my question Captain Car Audio?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I had an Alpine 9835 and it was fine, but wasnt sure if the previous owner might have bought a UK loom.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
they use the same plug Captain Impulse.
Don't buy it for the sake of saving £100, think of the warranty issues and the fact that you are shunning needy businesses like SIM and AA!
Seriously, I've seen too many sob stories over the years, enough to put me off buying from abroad. Get the price hammered down in a negotiation battle. Go speak to Paul at SIM, he will sell it as cheap as he can afford if you pester him! Tell him Del says Hi...........

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
That's a lot more than a ton........... :p That's worth a punt.... It's not INDO AUDIO is it? They must be avoided at all costs! The serial numbers are scratched off their goods in many cases.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ive bought from them before. Boydie too. Not them this time though.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
does the unit have a tuner? make sure it is programmable to step up in er, .05mhz or something....... I forget! too lazy to check, shouldn't really have started this reply!
Anyhoo, make sure you can get Wogan or I won't be travelling in your car between 7.30 and 9.30am.........

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
My 9835 got all the UK stations.

For £94 i wouldnt lose any sleep over not being able to listen to Pete Snodden to be honest.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'd pay £94 more if it had a Pete Snodden Rejection Circuit! Tedious beyond belief.......

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
I bought my Alpine 1004 screen in the US about 4 years ago cuz it was half the price it was here! Tuner only goes up in .2 intervals on the odd numbers but I really only use Radio 1 and itll pick that up! Only other problem is there are 2 wires...one for handbrake and one for parking brake which need to operated in a certain sequence to enter the setup! never bothered wiring it up tho!

The loom just came with bare wires and no plug so I bought the Vauxhall Audioleads adaptor and soldered it all up myself!

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
LOL, all branded sets should come with iso as found out by lyons... its the radio tuning i`d worry about the .2 interval thing, but a lot like kenwood etc still search in .05 increments

but the handbrake brake wire thing is somethign thats caught out a load of buyers.... means fitting an attractive switch somewhere.. and a bit of a PITA..

and again as del says.. NO UK WARRANTY!! but albeit a bloody stonking price lyons lad

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Surely that handbrake thing is just for screens?

Warranty doesnt bother me to be honest, ive never had a problem with an Alpine HU (bar the 9855, but i find it hard to speak about it without using stronger language). If something did happen, Alpine Service Centre is cheap enough and quick.

Phoned Iceman earlier and they were £235, which was very respectable. Still a weee bit more than id want to pay. If i could get it down nearer £200 id just buy locally.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
.....sell some of your phones and make up the £35! Russell and the ICE-Boys are good people to deal with..... Go on Go on Go on GO ON!!!!
MrsDoyle.jpg

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
the yanks ahve some crazy wiring system that means the screen sees the regular handbrake or "e" brake input from the screen as per UK models, but then has some mad feed from the brake pedals... i dont know much about it tbh..

suppose it makes it harder for DIY installers to bypass the safety turn off of the screen while driving

tbh, i`d buy one myself at that price :laughing:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
But is ISO not just a European thing? I dont know, just curious.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
ISO = International Standards Organisation

even the Yanks...... phone a store, try Cartunes! (Rich's Cartunes)

p.s. How curious are you? I'd keep it quiet with some of the loons lurking round here ;)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Checked the online manual of the unit and from the wording it would appear theres no ISO blocks, just bare ends of the wire?

Alpine USA dont have an email address either...

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
well me old mucker......... when you get it, it will cost a fiver for the bits, so a wonderful, friendly auto-spark/ electronics engineer can convert your bare ends to ISO......
Know anyone?;)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.