Anyone doing wheel refurbs at the minute?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I got the MX5 and Integra's wheels done by Cobra, and they were very reasonable with price. My only criticism would be if you're after a specific shade, they seem to get as close to, rather than exact because of the powder coating process. The MX5 wheels came back a but more blueish than I had hoped for, as they were originally a smoke silver colour. It's so very slight though, but thought I would mention it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Best just to ring. I'd say some smaller businesses would be open if it's only a 1 or 2 man operation. I'm sure many might well be glad of a bit of work.
Although whether it's essential travel is another matter

Paul.

RMS Regular
Perhaps a stupid question, but what sort of money is involved in a refurb? The wheels on my daily are absolutely shocking from the previous owner's apparent love of hitting kerbs. I'd say they're the second worst condition set of alloys I've ever seen but it's a close call.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Perhaps a stupid question, but what sort of money is involved in a refurb? The wheels on my daily are absolutely shocking from the previous owner's apparent love of hitting kerbs. I'd say they're the second worst condition set of alloys I've ever seen but it's a close call.
From memory Cobra did both sets of wheels for us for £220 each car. That was refurb and powder coat obviously. Also 2+ years ago so not sure if their prices have changed since.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Price should reflect the work though ?

If lots of kerb damage etc to repair, should be more expensive than a simple blast/powdercoat finish. Or buckles etc more work.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

about 200 quid at cobracustom I think a mate paid.

Paul.

RMS Regular
@pablo They'll actually swap the tyres to another set of wheels for you too? That sounds very decent. I've got a set of spare wheels but they're on scrap tyres at the moment. A refurb might be something to consider at a less uncertain time.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
@pablo They'll actually swap the tyres to another set of wheels for you too? That sounds very decent. I've got a set of spare wheels but they're on scrap tyres at the moment. A refurb might be something to consider at a less uncertain time.

Tyres have to come off for a refurb anyway, so why not ?

Paul.

RMS Regular
Tyres have to come off for a refurb anyway, so why not ?

tenor.gif

Good point.

Walder

RMS Regular
Until I get speaking to them tomorrow.

Can anyone answer if you can leave your car with them while they refurb a wheel as the bmw has no spare so the car is useless to me until the alloy is repaired.

MarkM

RMS Regular

Can anyone answer if you can leave your car with them while they refurb a wheel as the bmw has no spare so the car is useless to me until the alloy is repaired.

Cobra? Not sure about how they’re operating these days but usually you can, they leave it on stands in their yard behind locked gates

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R

We did this with the mx5. It depends how full their yard is however.

Martyn

RMS Regular
Would they be happy collecting your wheels at the house and leaving your car on the driveway in “their” stands?

I don’t have stands but would like my wheels done while I don’t need the car.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Would they be happy collecting your wheels at the house and leaving your car on the driveway in “their” stands?

I don’t have stands but would like my wheels done while I don’t need the car.
They are a good bunch and very accommodating so worth giving them a ring to see.