anyone else struggle to shift swirls sometimes!? im having a nightmare!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
any of the regular polishers out there find that when theyre attempting to get the right pad/polish combo that sometimes they just cant get the swirls out!? im really struggling on an 11year old golf to get ALL of them out but im getting a lot out. im even using a makita rotary its a struggle (bear in mind im not going mad ramping it up past 1500 though!)

im thinking i just need a heavier grade of polish though, something like powergloss??

anyone else have similar experiences or any thoughts?

Ruth

RMS Regular
Problems already eh peter :p lol

What pad/polish are you using? Yellow sfx and menz ip 3.02? you should try the megs pads on the rotary, or step up to powergloss. Bear in mind you rarely get 100% defect removal...

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
just finding my way ;) although im certainly making big leaps in using the makita!

maybe thats just it though, maybe im expecting too much!its pretty damn close to being perfect though. im on the yellow pad and megs 83 cutting at 1500rpm with a bit of pressure then easing off and then going with megs 80 at the same easing off to around 800-900 to finish.

it works really well but it does seem to take quite a while so maybe something more aggressive that should have the same results but in shorter amount of time??

Ruth

RMS Regular
yep but then you are using a harsher polish on your car and running the extra risk of going through/removing too much clearcoat i suppose. I would use the menz IP instead of the megs!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
thats the white one isnt it. ill keep going with the megs till its done and get some of that ordered up next. at least ill have plenty of experience with some of the different polishes out there at this rate. i think the menz will be better, although i could speed things up a bit by upping the speed slightly to 1700 maybe, might help with speed etc. ill be finished it by tomorrow anyway so hopefully no buffer trails and ill get some pics up :laughing:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Autoglym Bodyshop Fine Abrasive;)
autoglymbody0005.jpg

Have used 3M perfect It on my Mk2 Golf before with good results too

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.