Anyone handy, in or going to Vic Sq today? Q5 Issue

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Wife arrived at Vic Sq for work, says there is a burning smell coming from the engine of the Q5. Expects me to diagnose over the phone 20 miles away ^o)

Managed to get her to go open the bonnet, tells me its extremely potent (whole floor smells apparently) and seems to be coming from under the engine cover which she will not attempt to remove.

I am going to ring RAC but I doubt very much they will get into the under ground carpark but in the mean time, anyone fancy a Geoffrey for anything obvious?

Could get you a free pizza for your troubles.

TIA

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
My bet is its done a big regen - we brought an A4 into the showroom yesterday and the whole room stunk for over half an hour after it, even with the doors open and fans all on

Yeh it's possibly in the middle of a DPF regen when she stopped.

Possibly it then - she said the smell made her feel sick like burning flesh :joy:

RAC contacted anyway just in case, aim to be there before 12 - pizza still up for grabs for anyone :p

KevM

RMS Regular
I destroyed a large bird in the Q5 a few weeks ago and never found the body - cooked maybe?

Yeah, I have seen it happen before. The Service guys find all sorts of weird animal bits & pieces in and around engine bays from time to time

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah, I have seen it happen before. The Service guys find all sorts of weird animal bits & pieces in and around engine bays from time to time

Found this zombied Robin in my mates Mk6 Golf when sorting out the exhaust manifold

1688119022501.png

Boksic

RMS Regular
I'm interested in the pizza reward also.

But I'm 50ish miles from her.

Tell her to turn the music up, that fixes most stuff for women surely?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Third hand info through my wife but suspected clutch release bearing but RAC guy said she can drive it home and if needs be tomorrow 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ says flywheel is fine but if replacing the bearing, best practice to replace the clutch and flywheel??

I only have experience with my old 8P S3 where we changed the above

Parts so far I have priced are about £578 plus probably a days labour est £500-600 plus wheel allignment around £100 :worried:

brendy7

RMS Regular
Use sure it's not something like a brake caliper sticking or something surely if the clutch was making the smell it would be slipping wild bad to make the smell in the 1st place

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Who is charging £5/600 to fit a clutch? I need to get back to working on cars…

I have no quote for changing it, I am only guessing its a days work - sub frame out, transfer box off, etc... £50+vat at least a hour?

Use sure it's not something like a brake caliper sticking or something surely if the clutch was making the smell it would be slipping wild bad to make the smell in the 1st place

I can only go off the info I have at present but just rang her and she says its driving fine 🤷‍♂️ however has reminded me that she has mentioned issues with stalling in the past, I just put it down to being a woman :joy:

is it a quattro?lol

It is indeed

Belfast Service Centre are to call me back regarding parts availability and could possibly take it in as early as next mid week 🤞

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I wouldn’t place too much faith in what an RAC man says. When I broke down in my Aston on the way home with it in England, called RAC out for recovery

He was looking under the bonnet, at a belt that had snapped off due to AC Pump seizing. I explained it had started to overheat immediately so turned it off.

He says we will just put more water in it sure and it will be grand 😂 couldn’t fathom that it no longer had a rotating water pump without the belt. I’m not in any way mechanical and even I understood that as an issue 😂

So probably best getting it properly diagnosed before ordering any parts lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I have no quote for changing it, I am only guessing its a days work - sub frame out, transfer box off, etc... £50+vat at least a hour?
It’s been a while since I tackled a Tiguan 4 Motion but yeah there’s a days odd work in it. The DPF has to be dropped as well to get to a few bolts on a supporting bracket on the bevel box so a good time to gut it if you’re that way inclined!

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
what I want to know is……..who got the pizza?

Tbh I didn’t ask her to offer one, was going to cross that bridge if it came up 😂

I’ve had a look round the car, taken it a drive, in high gear, low revs, full boost, clutch in and out, etc…. drives perfectly.

There is a smell though like a burning plastic.

Coolant and brake fluid levels all good and at or near max. Engine oil grand. My mechanic suggested possibly oil drip on the exhaust and giving that potential smell??

Waiting on a call back on Monday probably now from belfast service centre regarding parts and to be seen as soon as Wednesday hopefully

Want to get under the car tomorrow to get the tray off and have a good gander. A lift would be handy 😂

It’s ok, the lads will fix it 😂

IMG_3274.jpeg