Applying for a registration book

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
ive sported a car I fancy. It’s been a jap import, was U.K. registered in 2005 and took to the Republic of Ireland back then just after landing in U.K.
the southern chap that bought it never bothered to register it in the south, he didn’t even take it out of the name of the import company on the mainland.

I imagine, all this was before the U.K. kept track of stuff better, all the import company probably done was send a letter to dvla saying it’s gone to Ireland

Should this be as easy as applying for a log book. Or could it get more complicated. It’s got U.K. plates still fitted even, which a online check shows the type of car and it’s first mot, after that it goes off radar.
The chap I gather literally went bought it, drive it home and that’s about it. All he has is the first mot certificate for paperwork.

Last edited:

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I bought a cavalier a few years back, been in the UK. Then south
I bought the car an applied for a book to save time with the southern book and hassle
Got a book in 3 weeks.
Don't see how this would be any different

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
As you probably well know it all depends on what opens the envelope at the other side. I'd chance applying for a duplicate book first and see how it goes, but doubtful it's marked as exported if it hasn't officially been "exported".

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
As you probably well know it all depends on what opens the envelope at the other side. I'd chance applying for a duplicate book first and see how it goes, but doubtful it's marked as exported if it hasn't officially been "exported".
This... apply for a replacement first

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
The nova I bought hadn’t seen the road in 10 years and there was no record of it. I filled out a form which I printed from on line, then sent a letter a long with the form explaining I just bought the car and it was off the road for 10 years. Had a new tax book back in my name within two or three weeks.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Aye, I’m hoping I can just apply for a replacement book. If I enter the reg on mot check it still has record of that first test, so thinking it’s still in there computer, just missing in action.

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Worst case scenario you will have to register a NOVA with HMRC, before DVLA issue a V5
Google it, plenty of info on there about it, including link to HMRC pages about it.

It's not that big of a ball ache if there evidence that it was previously reg'd in UK/NI.

I have heard of horror stories when no evidence to prove it was previously reg'd in uk is not present ended up with a refusal.

I had to do it with a bike regd in south (came with irl log book) that was previously reg'd in NI.

I registered a NOVA with HMRC and a week later received a letter with a ref no stating they accepted my wish to import it to UK/NI,
MOTd it here,
insured it on VIN,
sent all to DVLA with a cheque for the price of 12mths tax, and V5 arrived 2 weeks later.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Worst case scenario you will have to register a NOVA with HMRC, before DVLA issue a V5
Google it, plenty of info on there about it, including link to HMRC pages about it.

It's not that big of a ball ache if there evidence that it was previously reg'd in UK/NI.

I have heard of horror stories when no evidence to prove it was previously reg'd in uk is not present ended up with a refusal.

I had to do it with a bike regd in south (came with irl log book) that was previously reg'd in NI.

I registered a NOVA with HMRC and a week later received a letter with a ref no stating they accepted my wish to import it to UK/NI,
MOTd it here,
insured it on VIN,
sent all to DVLA with a cheque for the price of 12mths tax, and V5 arrived 2 weeks later.

Ye I’ve done this a pile of times for cars I’ve brought up from south. Handy

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.