Audi A1 1.4 TFSI (COD) hesitation

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Nothing to report yet team. Paul is just bonkers busy, that much is so very clear.

Had a long chat with him (probably too long given how busy he is), such a great guy and so obvious he is incredibly knowledgeable.

Took him for a drive and with the car being up to temp, he still immediately noticed a hesitation even though it wasn't "the full deal" that it usually does. Also spotted the slow start.

Enjoying the "call outs" in here.........part of me is either cam timing (not a coincidence man myself) or pump related, HPFP or broken return/valve in the in tank pump given the slow starts.

Left the car with him and have not chased him as I don't want to be "THAT" guy and will wait for him to come back to me.

Only downside was the train just arriving when he dropped me off at the station and I didn't get to go on a money spending rampage in Paints & Components :laughing:

Ah well, there is always the return trip ;)

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Oh aye I forgot you said it only started after the timing belt was done. These are the wee engines that need the whole computer rig to set up the cam timing, it’s not just a case of line up a mark or drop a locking pin in. Cam timing is out. I retract my previous guess of a fuel pump.

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Oh but......I forgot to add........I could also go 100% straight to the timing if it wasn't the fact that I noticed that start-stop starts the engine INSTANTLY whereas turning the ignition off and starting with the key creates the lazy start.

So with the stop-start system, it must keep the system primed or the fuel system sitting in a state that is protecting it from what happens when you turn off the key.

That has me right back at either of the pumps or pressure valves in the fuel system

Its a tricky one for sure.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Oh aye I forgot you said it only started after the timing belt was done. These are the wee engines that need the whole computer rig to set up the cam timing, it’s not just a case of line up a mark or drop a locking pin in. Cam timing is out. I retract my previous guess of a fuel pump.
I'm busting a bollock to hear the final solution
👆🏻! Ive always drove from Donegal to Ballymoney for Paul aka @pobmk4 to look after all my cars! For a reason! He will find problem,
No matter how long it takes and is an unbelievable machanic! But I honestly think @mikey has got it as he knows his stuff too and from his post is a well all round experienced proper machanic that gets to the end of the problem, no matter what it takes! I love his detailed posted on here!

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Nothing yet @DC.

Paul updated me this morning to advise that he is still digging but as yet, nothing has jumped out around the issues noted.

Just a waiting game for now I guess

J

Reactions: DC.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
tumbleweed GIF

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Any updates? Had a real random one last week where a faulty low pressure oil pressure switch on an Audi TT was causing gearbox/mechatronics issues.
Nice to note the random faults and their fixes down for any future cars presenting similar issues!

jinjur

RMS Regular
OP
jinjur
Drives
Clio 172
Well. You probably aren't going to like this, I know Paul didn't.

The car is now home and we still have no answer or fix, issue still very much present all the way home.

Gave it a few weeks, a fair punt but mum was really starting to feel the pinch in lack of mobility and independence so decided to call it a day. At least she has that back now even with the car not right.

Will see how things go with everything else she has on at the minute and decide if chopping it in as a trade in for something decidedly less fancy is an option.

Thanks for all the input and effort anyway team

Props to Paul @ Dubtech for his help regardless. Worst kind of thing to troubleshoot when you are as mad busy as he is.

We tried

J

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Bummer. I sold my wife's 1.4 TSi ACT Golf a few weeks ago. Great driving wee car for the most part but sometimes you'd be taking off in traffic and there was a huge hesitation before it would move and then it would take off quicker than you wanted. Slowing down approaching a set of red lights that then turned green you'd put the foot down and it would kangaroo. Sort of got used to it and a gearbox (DSG) re adaption helped a bit but the problem was still there to an extent. No rhyme or reason to it, some days it drove perfect, some days it was a real pig.