B3 Passat GT - 1990

Gambit

RMS Regular
Bit late digging it out

Pipework for pump and accumulator
Bosch kjet pump out of my car originally
Accumulator looks a bit rough as it was painted originally but was holding pressure fine

You can take the pump for testing purposes or give us £50 for all that's there

Attachments

• 20220825_132151.jpg
    20220825_132151.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220825_132143.jpg
    20220825_132143.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 36

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
OP
puzzlement13
So while Big Red is broke, as per, I sold my Arosa I'd had for the last 10years..

PXL_20220729_182219929.jpg
PXL_20220730_163440176.jpg

And in true fashion replaced it with .. another Passat 😂 it's a 1995 1.8 petrol CL B4.
This one has been sat in a field for nearly 10 years, with what we thought was missing a core plug. It wasn't - interior stripped and cleaned as it was mouldy and wet 🤮
Got it up on stands and found that it wasn't a missing core plug, it was a cracked block. Replacement engine got and swapped in. Shame as the original only had 52k on it but at least the head and other bits have been kept as spares.

Spent a bit of time cleaning it up and getting it ready for MOT - it had an airbag light and it couldn't be turned off so my spare b3 dash had a glovebox, my partner got the leather dye and made it blue to match the dash and with my spare steering wheel we were set for MOT.

Night before MOT a friend said about doing the headlight alignment and on route to his it started to misfire. Got there and as he's doing the headlights the dizzycap **** the bed, luckily he had a spare. MOT that morning, passed, no advisories, chuffed!

Clutch pedal was very close to the floor by the time I got home and so swapped my slave cylinder in from the b3, and it's all good again.

Need to keep saying this, Big Red isn't a parts car 😭😂

Big red got my old spare slave cylinder last night so at least that's done again.

IMG-20220630-WA0056.jpg

IMG-20220728-WA0028.jpg

PXL_20220821_164041844.jpg

Schmidts on for the mean time, they suit it but they need some work!

Need to get it lowered, hoping mynold coilovers will work ok, or be in ok enough condition.
I'm expecting wheel bearing to be pretty crap and needing done soon, but hopefully get it thrown together for gtini show at the end of the month as I don't think I can cure Big Red in time.

Update with big red is that it is potentially eating coolant temp sensors - but if I unplug the fuel pressure regulator on the metering head, it goes into limp mode, everything else seems to check out.. will faff again at the weekend 🤦🤦

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Looked cool this morning. Knew it was you before I even saw who was driving it. Have you dibs on all the old Passats or ???

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
OP
puzzlement13
Definitely forgot to keep updating this..

Big red has became a parts car in recent months, the b4 saloon being the day to day car started to need stuff. Had gotten lowering springs for it but the top mount wouldn't work whatsoever, think we can solve this with mk3 stuff - anyway took the coilovers out of big red and fired them into the b4 along with the wheels too. Took it to the gtini show towards the end of last year;

FB_IMG_1664040433447.jpg
FB_IMG_1664304338271.jpg

Not too long after this, I'd say from sitting so long before being used - wheel bearings got loud, so replaced and broke down just before Xmas with fuel pump and coil pack failure. Crack in the coil pack was an easy change, fuel pump on a friend's driveway after getting one was a little bit of a ballache when it was so cold, but hey it's done!

Think theres been other bits and bobs replaced since then, usual maintenance.

Big Red estate has say in the drive since probably the last post on here ☹️ it's leaky and mouldy and I miss it! Out the other day, battery back in and started first turn.. 🤷

B4 and B3 are definitely going to need some welding at some point, maybe the b4 first..

I started a course at the end of January for welding and have been doing MIG, in hope that at some point I'll be happy to have a go at patching the bad bits, or hell at least learn a bit while I'm at it! Probably enjoying it more than I thought which is fab. Just wish I'd more time at it!

IMG_20230308_092224.jpg

Really hoping to start sorting the b3/BigRed out soon to maybe get an MOT on it before summer is out. Brake bias, suspension, coolant leak, service and probably rocker cover gasket firstly, (strip interior again and do the hose test too to see where the waters getting in 🤦).. then save and send it up the road for someone to look at as I'm done guessing!

PXL_20230308_093909462.jpg

:worried:

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
OP
puzzlement13
Well flip..
Completed welding course - messed about with the b4 some more, broke it, fixed it and repeat a few times. Messed about with Big Red the b3 like twice. Starts with a good battery but goes to **** when it heats up again...
Started working again so time is even more pushed!
Got a spoiler and fitted it and probably other things but getting ready for roadtrip soon. Will update soon with better pics lol

Also hit 62k lol
PXL_20230805_135118604.MP.jpg

And lowered it some more since this photo!

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Well flip..
Completed welding course - messed about with the b4 some more, broke it, fixed it and repeat a few times. Messed about with Big Red the b3 like twice. Starts with a good battery but goes to **** when it heats up again...
Started working again so time is even more pushed!
Got a spoiler and fitted it and probably other things but getting ready for roadtrip soon. Will update soon with better pics lol

Also hit 62k lolView attachment 406962

And lowered it some more since this photo!

where did you do the welding course and how long was it?