Bad amp channel

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
First of all I'm not an expert so forgive my ignorance here...

I've one speaker not working on the XJ6. I replaced both front speakers a few weeks back so assumed it was a loose wire. I did notice upon investigation that there is very feint music coming through it on full volume and same with the tweeter on that side. Up until now the speaker was working intermittently - in fact it was almost like it needed a 5 minute warm up before it would work.

Took the lot apart there and wiring looks good. I went through and redid all connections and then checked for continuity from the back of the headunit plug to the speakers and all OK.

I tried an external speaker (off a cheap HiFi) and there was feint music too, albeit very slightly better than the door speaker. The separate tweeter (OEM and untouched - because I didn't actually know there was one there) is barely audible.

I checked voltage and both main speaker wires are giving me a reading when bridged with ground - one was 4.5v and the other 3.7v ish but no voltage with the meter is ran between them. All other speaker wire plugs off the back of the head unit were giving 4.5-5v ish when grounded to the headunit casing but no readings with meter put between them.

I wasn't sure how to measure amperage - but fired the meter on to the 5a setting, put it between the two speaker wires and nada.

The last thing I tried (in desperation) was jump a 9v battery onto the speaker and it was popping away. I'm fairly sure it's OK - I'm thinking the amp in the headunit is away on one channel only. Is this possible? Anything else I could check?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
May sound stupid but did you check the balance isn't set all the way to one side? Just a thought!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Easiest thing way to check is to wire another speaker in.

It would rule the speaker being blown

A single channel blown is certainly a possibility though

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
May sound stupid but did you check the balance isn't set all the way to one side? Just a thought!

Yep. Had all the power going to that speaker at one stage and it was just about audible.

Easiest thing way to check is to wire another speaker in.

It would rule the speaker being blown

A single channel blown is certainly a possibility though

I didn't have a car speaker handy but I stuck one off a cheap hifi from the house and it was slightly louder. When I say slightly it was about the equivalent of the volume you'd get from an earbud

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Hifi speakers operate at different frequency to car audio best try one out of a car

pablo

RMS Moderator
different ohm levels too iirc so will be likely working the amp harder and getting the extra volume.

handy to swap outputs from the amp? L & R. may be the HU too. amp will only amplify what it gets in

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Sorry I meant the amp built into the headunit.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.