Banned

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Well, i have to say im surprised that significantly more young males crash than females. I know R plated boys think they are Damon Hill, and just because they have their test that makes them a good driver (which it doesnt), but i cant help but feel that girls are quite often an accident waiting to happen.

big cyril

RMS Regular
A while back I was doing an indicated 65 (so probably actually 60) in the 60 zone on the A1 at Dromore when a girl driving a Ka came tearing past at least 20 mph more than me.
As we rounded the slight corner she was confronted by plod standing about 400 yards down the road ushering her to pull in - speed trap!

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I'm off the Rs on the bike but still on the Rs on the car, so on the bike if I see an R driver speeding I like to pass them and then sit at 45 so they can't get past. Really pisses them off, its great.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
Boydie said:
is that extended test new??

i only had to resit the theory and road test when i got 6points in my first 2 years of driving - no ban! i was back on the road 2 weeks later

Its was maybe because you were in your second year. What happened did the courts decide this or were you sent out a letter.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Captain Starlet said:
90 on a motorway, last time I checked the speed limit was 70. That would be 20mph over I was only caught doing 25 over so your driving is just as utterly horrendous as mine you root.

but i wasn't the one who was caught so who is the root, enjoy the foot-patrol, also i hear the bus service has come along way since.....;)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Captain Starlet said:
Its was maybe because you were in your second year. What happened did the courts decide this or were you sent out a letter.

letter lad

it said "by the 19th your lisence will be revoked and you will have to re-do your test and theory"

2 weeks later i was on the road again - bit of a pointless letter

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
OP
Captain Starlet
Drives
S2000
JayT said:
but i wasn't the one who was caught so who is the root, enjoy the foot-patrol, also i hear the bus service has come along way since.....;)

So what you are saying is that dangerous driving is acceptable just as long as you dont get caught. I wont be walking the mighty Jason Dturbo will be giving me a lift

ak89

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
wingnut said:
I'm off the Rs on the bike but still on the Rs on the car, so on the bike if I see an R driver speeding I like to pass them and then sit at 45 so they can't get past. Really pisses them off, its great.

Someone'll wipe yee off sooner or later pete lad ;)

Marc

RMS Moderator
how stupid can you get?? mate.. jut let them speed, what happens when they try to pass you dangerously and accidently clips you, knocking you off the bike and god knows what else.

wingnut said:

Cess

RMS Staff
B A Baracus said:
Aye but do they really crash less or just get the repairs fixed without going through insurance? Daddys Girls!!

Pretty sure the crazy fool has hit the nail on the head. Basically when males crash (which isn't statisically isn't as often as females, it's usually pretty monumental. Statistically, girls tend to crash more often and are less likely to claim.

rugrat

RMS Photographer
Drives
Leon FR 2.0TDi
Cess said:
Pretty sure the crazy fool has hit the nail on the head. Basically when males crash (which isn't statisically isn't as often as females, it's usually pretty monumental. Statistically, girls tend to crash more often and are less likely to claim.

What is the source of this statistic? ^o)

jason Dturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
C2 GT
my fair has just gone up, cause the diesel has gone up, and so has bus fairs by 10% (y) £30 a week on the bus now ;)

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
jason Dturbo said:
my fair has just gone up, cause the diesel has gone up, and so has bus fairs by 10% (y) £30 a week on the bus now ;)

do you even have a liscence yet child?

Kiffer

Drives
98 Teg Type R
Phil_D said:
Statistically women crash less than men thats why their insurance is cheaper and for no other reason, Hence car insurance is most expensive for young male drivers as they again are stastically most likely to crash....

From what I heard women do tend to have more accidents than men but most of them are minor bumps and scrapes, whereas the blokes tend to have fewer but much more serious accidents.

And I would agree about the women speeding. I was starting to wonder if more women than men were passing me on the M1 or whether I just noticed them becasue they were decent looking females!!!;)

Geoffblackfocus

Drives
ford focus
if u get 6 points within two years of passing ur test u get ur license revoked and have to do the lot again and the points carry over so b careful it happened tome near two years ago cop told me it was just a fine then got a letter 3 months later to revke it and send my license back

BigG69

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia vRS 2.0T
Boydie said:
is that extended test new??

i only had to resit the theory and road test when i got 6points in my first 2 years of driving - no ban! i was back on the road 2 weeks later

yeah thats all i have to do as well

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Phil_D said:
Statistically women crash less than men thats why their insurance is cheaper and for no other reason, Hence car insurance is most expensive for young male drivers as they again are stastically most likely to crash....
The first thing you said is untrue im afraid. Women have more accidents per mile diven than men. FACT. Unfortunately, men do on average so many more miles per year than women and the fact that crashes involving men on average cost alot more money that it makes males a righer risk to insure than women. To look at it anecdotally I could name at least 12 females that have had parking accidents/ 10mph shunts in the last year. By contrast I know of no boys you fit into that category. However I know of no girls in major crashes while I could name about 6 fellas who have written off a car.
All this insurance business is about to change soon however as the E.U has deemed it descriminatory for women to be insured cheaper. Does this mean men will get insured for the price of girls. all of a sudden...what do you reckon?

pulsator

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan GTIROC Re
Captain Starlet said:
Typical just another way to scobe more money from you. Do you think there is any point in contesting it.

Well if you will do 70 in a 30 in a SR then come on fella! 8o|

big cyril

RMS Regular
hutchy_belfast said:
The first thing you said is untrue im afraid. Women have more accidents per mile diven than men. FACT. Unfortunately, men do on average so many more miles per year than women and the fact that crashes involving men on average cost alot more money that it makes males a righer risk to insure than women. To look at it anecdotally I could name at least 12 females that have had parking accidents/ 10mph shunts in the last year. By contrast I know of no boys you fit into that category. However I know of no girls in major crashes while I could name about 6 fellas who have written off a car.
All this insurance business is about to change soon however as the E.U has deemed it descriminatory for women to be insured cheaper. Does this mean men will get insured for the price of girls. all of a sudden...what do you reckon?

Does this mean young men have fewer accidents then young women but the accidents they do have are much worse and so cost more?

If I was the actuary for the insurance company I'd be pretty unhappy about this European legislation as obviously they have to charge people differently according to risk?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
big cyril said:
Does this mean young men have fewer accidents then young women but the accidents they do have are much worse and so cost more?

If I was the actuary for the insurance company I'd be pretty unhappy about this European legislation as obviously they have to charge people differently according to risk?
I cant speak on "young" people, the stats I had were just for the population as a whole. If I were to hazard a guess, just from experience I would say that the gross frequency of accidents for young males vs females would be pretty similar. The girls are more parking dings or putting on the makeup and rolling back into someone while the fellas are more whaling into a field at 70mph.

As the the insurance companies? They will love it, at best for us the average out the combined risk for both genders (in my opinion unlikely) Or just remove the "discount" females used to enjoy. However, if firms like shiela's wheels still want to solely insure women, I'm sure that would be fine and then if, as a result of this policy, there losses were reduced for only insuring women, then the customer's quotes could drop to suit? To be honest I'm not in the insurance business and only did a project on population road health for my medical degree so I'm just trying to apply some common sense to the whole thing!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.