Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I'm bursting to get it track ready now Andy. I've been buying bits and pieces for it over the last year or so and ordered one of the last parts today (silicone hose kit). All I really need now is to get stuck into fitting it all, getting it serviced and MOTd and then finding out what events are on so I can get out to play!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Quite a long day with the roadster today getting the brakes sorted. Took far longer fannying about with handbrake cables than I would have liked.

They actually didn't need replaced but were like £4 for a set on Amazon so I thought what the hell I might as well change them.

Old vs new

IMG_20160827_130602.jpg

Also did all the rubber hoses, discs and threw in mintex racing pads. Also got new fluid throughout.

IMG_20160827_151243.jpg

IMG_20160827_172215.jpg

IMG_20160827_172254.jpg

And stuck the spoiler on

IMG_20160827_182112.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Surely those are 1600 calipers on 1800 discs Coog? The wee pads look lost

I thought that too. I'm honestly not sure because I bought a breaker 1600 and it had 1800 front brakes on it but the rears were supposedly 1600. They were the same as mine so I didn't think any more about it. But as I was putting it all together today I did think the rears looked odd, just like you say.

It's a bit late now though tbh. I will run them now and see about grabbing a cheap set of 1800 rear pads to try for size later on.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It's got 1.6 discs though and they're tight aganst the carrier. If there was a big gap between calliper and disc I could understand it.

I just had a hunt about for pictures and seems mines not the only one like this on the rear.

brake12.jpg

MRBStep19.jpg

Seems like an odd set-up to me!

Next Trackskills day ???

Cheers

Afraid not but for sure next season. Needs the belt pump and hoses all done before I take it on track. Don't want another pipe bursting again as coolant on the track wouldn't be great lol

Plus I'm skint :worried:

KevM

RMS Regular
In fairness, from memory, my rears had a thin stripe on the outside edge where the friction took place. Seems like a waste of disc :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah it does. I really should have the 1.8 setup on the rear tbh

Next up.... dying the seats from tan to black lol :scream:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Started on the seats today. The tan looked pretty good with BRG, but with the blue and now grey I thought they looked dung. I was set on replacing them but decided to try colouring them instead.

Original colour.
IMG_20160828_115318.jpg

IMG_20160828_122520.jpg

Before applying the dye I stripped the leather with a special chemical. It pulls off the protective coating. And stinks like hell.

Then started applying the dye. Even the vinyl man-made leather stuff on the rear of the seats got it.

IMG_20160828_122557.jpg

IMG_20160828_123334.jpg

Full seat done. Looking a bit patchy but will leave it a few hours.

IMG_20160828_161115.jpg

And buffed up.

IMG_20160828_192139.jpg

Still a wee bit patchy but much better after a quick wipe. I then applied another coat. Will buff up again tomorrow and then spray a protective layer on top and let you know how it goes lol

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Started on the seats today. The tan looked pretty good with BRG, but with the blue and now grey I thought they looked dung. I was set on replacing them but decided to try colouring them instead.

Original colour.
View attachment 123696

View attachment 123698

Before applying the dye I stripped the leather with a special chemical. It pulls off the protective coating. And stinks like hell.

Then started applying the dye. Even the vinyl man-made leather stuff on the rear of the seats got it.

View attachment 123702

View attachment 123699

View attachment 123700

And buffed up.

View attachment 123701

Still a wee bit patchy but much better after a quick wipe. I then applied another coat. Will buff up again tomorrow and then spray a protective layer on top and let you know how it goes lol
That looks a pretty good job on them mate, Where'd you get the dye?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah after a buff they came up really well. Apparently the sealer can make a mess of things so I'm a bit nervous about that bit!!

Got it all off Amazon. It's called Fiebings. Deglazer to start, then the dye and then finish with acrylic resolene. All in will cost me about £20

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
That's a good job lad but the grey with tan worked for me!
Still what would I know, I've done nothing of any automotive note for about 3 years!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Yeah after a buff they came up really well. Apparently the sealer can make a mess of things so I'm a bit nervous about that bit!!

Got it all off Amazon. It's called Fiebings. Deglazer to start, then the dye and then finish with acrylic resolene. All in will cost me about £20
Is there not just like some sort of rubberised spray sealant, sure I seen them using it on some car program.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Seats look class @Coog, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Doesn't end up coming off on your clothes/skin does it, after a particularly sweaty track day or the like lol?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I think the acrylic resolene is the stuff that seals it and (hopefully) stops my clothes getting wrecked. It's a waterproof and protective layer. But it can also make the finish look mottled so I'm a bit nervous about applying it.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13

Original colour.
View attachment 123696

View attachment 123698

View attachment 123702

View attachment 123699

View attachment 123700

And buffed up.

View attachment 123701

This is complete witchcraft to me! Can't believe the finish is so good so far. Great job!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
This is complete witchcraft to me! Can't believe the finish is so good so far. Great job!

Buffed one seat base last night before bed. Obviously the marks and cracks are still there but the colour is looking pretty good. 99% of the patchiness disappears with a buff.

IMG_20160828_222905.jpg

This is the drivers seat base which was absolutely knackered.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Applied the sealer with damp sponge.

IMG_20160829_174540.jpg

IMG_20160829_175517.jpg

Dries very very shiny!!

IMG_20160829_195344.jpg

Gave the seats a wipe with some Dr Leather cleaner and conditioner which definitely helps tone the shine down a bit (state of my shed!)

Few more coats of that and they'll be spot on.

IMG_20160829_205114.jpg

So all done. Will give them another wipe down when I fit them. Very little colour bleed with the cleaner, so all in I'm happy enough.

Kinda thinking oxblood red would have been cool though. It's bad enough changing outside colour never mind inside, so it'll DFR!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I'm not gonna lie, I'm genuinely impressed. (y)

Not a modification/alteration you see often on here.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Looks great. I was reading a lot of leather reconditioning threads on other forums last month when I was cleaning mine. Not sure I'd have the balls to dye any seats I owned in case I buggered it up but that looks good!